Serial/Making a Murderer

Maxx

Anyone listening to this podcast? I find it absolutely captivating and really want to discuss it so go listen!

This season, its covering the story of the murder of a high school student and her ex boyfriend who was convicted, despite a pretty shaky case being made against him. Also, his attorney turned out to be somewhat corrupt. So week by week, more details surrounding the case are discussed and we're left to question not only his guilt, but whether or not the case actually proved his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, or did its due diligence to look at other suspects. Or if he even got a fair trial at all, considering what's been found out about his attorney.

7 episodes so far, listen listen listen!

Edited by Maxx
  • Like 1

I was planning on listening to Top Hat during Minecraft tonight but I think I'll give this a try instead.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finally got around to listening to this and it's fascinating stuff. Incredibly well done.

One of the assistant managers at a nearby store went to high school with him, but the people who work there say outside of mentioning he knew Adnan and Hae he doesn't have anything else to say about this. For what it's worth. I'm sure he doesn't want to go through this again now that this murder case is back in everyone's mind.

Also the Best Buy on Security Blvd is probably doing crazy business.

I just finally got around to listening to this and it's fascinating stuff. Incredibly well done.

One of the assistant managers at a nearby store went to high school with him, but the people who work there say outside of mentioning he knew Adnan and Hae he doesn't have anything else to say about this. For what it's worth. I'm sure he doesn't want to go through this again now that this murder case is back in everyone's mind.

Also the Best Buy on Security Blvd is probably doing crazy business.

Speaking of Best Buy...

best_buy_tweet.jpg

She needed so much more than 12 episodes and I think she nor anyone realized this until a couple weeks ago when Serial got super popular and so many more people came out of the woodwork to contact Sarah. Who knows if they'll keep updating with more findings. There's so much written about Jay and Jen, but there's a hugely important point I'm going to bring up as a native of Baltimore. People don't talk to the cops. It just doesn't happen here. And the cops have a really, really leaky ship. So multiple points could be brought up here. Jen giving up that Hae was strangled before it became public knowledge could very well not have been a big deal, there's a lot of chatter that goes around before things are "confirmed". Just look at social media today with any news, now imagine that with a corrupt police force. And the location of the car, which from the description was behind the rowhomes. Edmondson Village, unless you get close to Hilton Parkway, is not the kind of place where a car can just hang out. If Jay is driving around there trying to find weed he probably at some point bumps into the car. Granted, that requires him knowing what the car looked like. It's all so very strange, it's not like the suburbs there just isn't a place for a car to "hide" there. So either he saw it, he knew other people saw it and because of the news coverage the pieces were put together, or he put it there as previously assumed by everyone. But basically there's not an either/or thing with Jen and Jay.

Also, as a former pothead I can safely say even if Adnan and Jay were seen together it very well could have been a smoking relationship. They hung out, he lent Jay his car, Jay gave him weed, and that was it. That's not friendship.

Here's a map of Edmondson Village. https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2934812,-76.6772047,627m/data=!3m1!1e3

Some other ramblings. Why was there no DNA testing 15 years ago? She was strangled, check under the nails you fools!

But seriously I've been going on and on about everything for nearly 48 hours. Of the so many things we want Sarah to explore there's the problem of her not being able to just comment on hearsay. Unless she gets verified people giving her verified information she can't report on it. So discussing the car does unfortunately end largely at that point of just saying "Jay pointed them to where it was." 15 years is an incredibly long time in one of the poorest and most dangerous parts of Baltimore, it's like a needle in the haystick trying to hunt down someone who knows something and is also willing to talk.

Also I think she was just as blindsided about what she was uncovering about Jay as we the listeners were. She didn't set out to accuse him of anything and as more and more came to the forefront she basically did just that.

Yeah, he knew where her car was, that is a giant point they really seemed to be willing to let go.

He pleaded guilty to being an accessory after the fact to murder and received probation.

To me, there is clearly enough reasonable doubt to acquit at trial but I still think that Adnan did it more likely than not. Just a gut feeling.

But there's one thing clear, this case needs Jimmy McNulty & Bunk Moreland. Get on it, David Simon!

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my god I just finished this, how have you guys stopped talking about this? Jay had come out with his own three part interview, I'm only halfway into part 2 but it's fascinating stuff. And now the prosecutor is coming out and telling his side too.

This is some wild stuff.

Jay is incapable of telling the same story twice, makes him completely untrustworthy in my book. I'm in the camp that Adnan probably did it, but should still get acquitted due to the ridiculousness of his trial.

I agree. I think Adnan most probably did it, like Dana (or however you spell her name) said, the coincidences that got him locked up is just too much of bad luck, but he should be acquitted for what you said. There's just too much circumstantial evidence to legally deem someone guilty of murder.

Maybe because this is the first time I've been so interested in a true crime story, but everyone in this case is just so fascinating to me. This interview with the prosecutor for instance is great: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/01/07/prosecutor-serial-case-goes-record/

The thing with the prosecutor interview is that he was asked softies. Nothing there has him do anything but go "yeah we had the better case and it's obvious because of all the evidence from the trial" without ever having to answer to the timeline he laid out not actually working based on what we know. On top of that, the author clearly has a personal problem with Serial and NPR as a whole. So her bias is a little apparent.

There's so much to consider and people on Reddit have looked into this in intense detail. I'm in the "Jay's not telling enough" camp and there's something more to his story that he's just not saying.