2014-15 MLB Offseason Thread

The Buscher

Braves are absolutely after two things:

1. Starting pitching

2. Money

Don't mind losing Heyward (.260 career hitter, contract expiring), more bummed about losing Walden. Miller will slot in the rotation, Vizcaino will replace Walden. Still hate losing La Stella, but if we have a solid replacement at second in the farm and hold onto Gattis, I feel alright with it.

Probably losing Justin Upton next year, but it'd take an army to trade him away. B.J. Upton's still on the books for three years and nobody wants that deal. Looks like we're back to our more frugal, pitcher-heavy ways. I'm alright with that.

• Like 1

You know that Heyward is going to St. Louis to become an All-Star, right? He's going to somehow tap into all that potential he showed a few years back. That's how it works with the Cardinals.

I'll be very interested to see how he is used. Has enough speed to be a solid leadoff, has enough pop to bat 3rd/4th, but just won't do well enough to justify the money he will ask for.

I like the trade for the Cardinals only if Heyward re-ups long term. I'm sure he will but it would suck to lose Miller for a rental.

They have more than enough young starting pitching though and after Taveras' death, needed a bat in the OF even more. Edited by livid

On paper, Donaldson looks like a solid upgrade, but I haven't seen enough of him to have formed a legitimate opinion. With the inclusion of Barretto AND Nolin, it may have been overpayment to solidify a position now, but the Jays need to go all in to win while Joey Bats and Double E are still producing.

Donaldson is cost-controlled for 4 more seasons, it's just a move they made because it will benefit them short and long term. Production wise he's been one of the best all around players in baseball the last 2 years. It's a big upgrade for Toronto.

Edited by Mofoticon

Barreto appears to have been the lynchpin of the deal for the A's. Beane clearly felt that Barreto was a special enough talent to take the short-term downgrade at 3B to get him, although Barreto is years away from being ready. Supposedly the A's are shopping Samardzija as well, with the White Sox being the main team rumored. If they get Tim Anderson they basically just replaced Addison Russell.

I still wonder why people are surprised when a deal like this happens with the A's cause Billy Beane has a history of doing this and almost always gets some good players when he trades his best players cause they won't be able to afford him

Also Athletics and White Sox discussing a deal involing Jeff Samardzija going to White Sox and Alexie Ramirez to A's plus other Minor Leaguers

Seeing that he will be a free Agent next year I really want Theo to sign to him cause he was my second favorite Cub like year and was heartbroken to see him leave but they got Addison Russell so it ain't all bad

Edited by ThaBoss18

Tomorrow is the day Jon Lester makes his decision on where to go and it is down to the Cubs,who have offered him the most and even read they would go a 7th year, then hid former team Red Sox and finally the surprising Giants

I really hope he comes to the Cubs they need more pitching and just me i would be so excited for next year but if he goes to the Red Sox then well i just dislike the Red Sox even more than the Yankees

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--cubs-land-jon-lester-with--150-million-deal-165658135.html

Pretty big deal for the Cubs. I usually don't try not to make a big deal about free agent pitchers, but this one is a pretty big win for the Cubs and could be the beginning of something good for the loveable losers.