2014-15 MLB Offseason Thread

The Buscher

We didn't get an offseason thread going last year but whatever...after that great World Series it only feels appropriate to move on and get one started before too much else happens. Maddon to the Cubs, Molitor to the Twins, Rays still in the process of searching for their next manager,

Nice day in Met land. Jacob deGrom won NL ROTY (Jose Abreu won the in the AL unanimously) and they signed Michael Cuddyer for 2 years, $21 million...the first "big signing" of the offseason. I like it. They badly needed a righty bat in the outfield. The contract is reasonable, the park plays to his strengths, and everything I've read suggests that he's a high character guy. He turned down the guaranteed $15.3 million qualifying offer so the Mets now need to surrender the #15 pick in the draft, that does hurt a bit but trading for an outfield bat probably would have proven to be even more costly.

Speaking of qualifying offers, everybody declined for the third year in a row. Not too sure what David Robertson is thinking. He won't come close to getting $15.3 million a year on the open market. Nelson Cruz should be able to cash in though along with the obvious candidates like Scherzer, Lester, and Shields.

I am so excited for this off season for the Cubs and can't wait to see some moves. Enjoy the MLB off season almost as much as the season

Also is it me or does the Rays seem like crybabies about Joe Maddon coming to Chicago?

Plus the Cubs have been linked to Cole Hamels which is awesome but they wants 3 top prospects?...I don't think nobody would do that but if the Cubs don't get him they should and I hope they get Jon Lester which is a good chance due to the Theo Episton factor and him knowing him but any top of the line starter is good for them to go with all the good hitting prospects

Next year will be exciting and will get better with Kris Bryant

Edited by ThaBoss18
  • Like 1

With Matt Harvey coming back next year, I can't wait to see that Mets bullpen.

I've never been a big proponent of handing out guaranteed deals to relievers, they seldom ever work out. I'd have to think that unless the Mets need to part with a reliever as part of a package to acquire a shortstop, the bullpen will more or less be the same as last year. Mejia and Familia in the back end, Edgin as the primary lefty, Torres as the longman. Probably Vic Black and maybe Gonzalez Germen too. Plus Bobby Parnell coming back soon. Could be loaded.

Actually, with their biggest weakness now already addressed they have plenty of freedom in how to approach the rest of the offseason. I imagine they'll still try to flip one of their excess starting pitchers in a deal for a shortstop...Alexei Ramirez maybe? I think they'll need to trade Murphy to do it though, so really it would be a bit of a lateral. It really comes down to whether they want Wilmer Flores at SS or 2B next year.

Gattis on the Yankees would be interesting. I'd assume he and McCann would be the two catchers on the roster although one would DH most days. McCann could play 1B as well but then again I don't see how on earth they could find a suitor for Teixeira without paying 90% of his contract.

Actually the Yankees would seem to be a team that wouldn't necessarily want to be totally locked down at DH as I'd have to think Beltran and A-Rod will need time there as well.

Apparently the Cubs have been talking with the Nationals about Jordan Zimmerman plus Justin Masterson and sign him off a bad year like they did with Jason Hammel and Scott Fieldman

Wow I have a feeling the Cubs will be linked to every SP like they were with Cole Hamels but the only thing is to get Jordan they may need to trade a few Middle Infielders but i Hope they only trade one like Javier Beaz cause I love Addison Russell and don't want them to trade them or Castro could be dealt but I only see him being dealt for a big time pitcher

If Baez was dealt for Zimmerman and then Jon Lester was signed just imagine that rotation

Lester, Zimmerman, Jake, Kyle plus whatever Theo wants to sign

• Like 1