2014-15 MLB Offseason Thread

The Buscher

Reports indicating that Oscar Taveras was legally drunk at the time of his death. Shame to have drunk driving take someone so talented.

Reports indicating that Oscar Taveras was legally drunk at the time of his death. Shame to have drunk driving take someone so talented.

No, its a shame his girlfriend lost her life to drink driving.

• Like 1

Mike Trout wins AL MVP unanimously. As expected Clayton Kershaw took home NL MVP.

Tigers re-sign Victor Martinez for 4 years, $68 million.

Marlins are trying to extend Giancarlo Stanton and have reportedly offered him the largest contract in the history of professional sports, at least $300 million.

Prediction: Marlins to win a world series with plucky youngsters and stars in their prime, completely dismantle team the following season.

Good teams normally don't put that much money in one place. Of the teams likely able to spend that much, LA, NY, Boston, or the Cubs most likely wouldn't do it, Texas *might*, and the Angels already have a ton of overpaid players. All of those places, save Texas, also have pretty high state income taxes, although he'd probably do better in endorsements in any of them accept Texas.

Plus, Miami is a much nicer place to spend the majority of the year than all of those save LA.

Stanton gets a ton more out of that $300 million since Florida is a tax free state. I think it's a bad contract, he hasn't exactly been healthy all the time and his numbers are good but not great outside of last season. Good on him to get a ton of money though, I have no idea what the Marlins are going to do to put a winner around him though.

And I'm calling it now, Trout breaks $400 million when he's ready for a contract.

No, I'd argue that you, Lowerdeck, would not turn down $300 million from the first team that offered it to you.

The Marlins aren't ever going to win shit, as long as Loria and Co. own the team. I'm shocked the cheap bastard shelled out so much for him. I see him being on the Yankees within a few years anyway, once Loria realizes he's paying more than peanuts and the rest of the NL East doesn't suck.

If I was Stanton, I would have taken $275M to go to the Yankees/Cards/Dodgers/Red Sox/Angels than take $325M from Miami.

No, I'd argue that you, Lowerdeck, would not turn down $300 million from the first team that offered it to you.

The Marlins aren't ever going to win shit, as long as Loria and Co. own the team. I'm shocked the cheap bastard shelled out so much for him. I see him being on the Yankees within a few years anyway, once Loria realizes he's paying more than peanuts and the rest of the NL East doesn't suck.

If I was Stanton, I would have taken $275M to go to the Yankees/Cards/Dodgers/Red Sox/Angels than take $325M from Miami.

None of those offers were coming for another few years though since he was still under the Marlins control. Why risk getting hurt and losing everything when that much money is being offered to you?

Also, Bobby Bonilla will still be getting paid by the Mets for 7 more years when Stanton's contract ends.