The Assassin's Creed Series

Mr. X

The ship was awesome, but suffered from classic Ubisoft programming. They have a cool idea, go about it in the most boring way possible... and then force you to do things their way. It was more fun to fight random enemies in the sea how you wanted to, than it was to do any ship battles in the story.

• Like 1

I haven't run into anything truly broken thus far with Unity, just the odd stutter, a bit of pop in, floating textures etc etc which is a problem but nothing that's stopped me playing the game. My biggest gripe is that all the fucking peripheral stuff is broken too. Like their loyalty program thing which doesn't even want to recognise the fact that I'm playing this latest game and possibly that I haven't played some of the older ones. Then you have the companion app that is nice in theory but the game portion of it where you send assassins off on missions manage to break itself and means I can't progress past the tutorial, leaving a bunch of chests in game that I can't open. A minor thing but I do tend to go around and collect all the chests, feathers etc so that's annoying. I like the idea of being rewarded with minor trinkets for playing the old games and wouldn't mind the app, people say it's annoying have stuff locked away in game and that it breaks immersion but I'd question how much more immersion could be broken in an Assassin's Creed game where you're yanked away all the time by the modern day portion.

On the game itself, this is my first one since Brotherhood so I dunno how much of this stuff has been in prior games but I like the added aspects of the free running, like the open windows you can vault through and come out the other side. I suspect that might not exactly be new though caus I remember another part, the tree climbing, being a big thing in 3. Some of the side quests seem like they could be cool like the riddles and murder mysteries but with the latter, the two I've done it pretty much explicitly tells you who the murderer is. Maybe it'll get more difficult later on.

I'm just curious as to how I'll get on with some of the other games if/when I go back to them. Like, I felt like I wouldn't have a problem jumping in here as it seems like another new start for it but maybe I'll get too used to free running down now which is a nice addition when you're done fucking around on the rooftops.

Just finished Rogue. It was okay, but nothing new at all. The story was same old shit and felt half finished, I feel like it's about damn time they got on with dealing with the Juno escape in the real world or got away from the colonies and europe over and over in the Animus.

The fact they won't do asia because it's cliché and they want to do stuff thst's not been done but have now done the colonies in three games is utter horseshit.

• Like 1

If nothing else I'm finding Arno to be a million times better a protagonist than Connor was in AC3 (didn't play AC4 so I'm not sure what Edward was like). He goes about exacting his revenge in a more civilised way than shouting "WHERE IS CHARLES LEE?!" a thousand times.

• Like 1

I'm a few sequences into Rogue and actually really enjoying it. The story is pretty good so far, especially loved the level in Lisbon... that was awesome and it served its purpose very well.

Edward was a really fun protagonist in IV, complete opposite of Conner. Shay lies somewhere in between, but despite having a somewhat more serious motivation than Edward, still manages to be an interesting character.

I was worried that I'd hate it because a lot of it is in America like III, but it's fine since it's not trying to be 'American Revolution: The Game' this time.

I quite like the whole 'stalker' thing, a nice addition. Also love how they turned the assassination missions around for this one, a really neat idea.

As I got it from GAME I got a code for the Templar Pack and 'The Siege of Fort De Sable' mission. I have no idea how to access these things/play the mission... anyone know?

I've finished Unity, and as I've really not been playing that much (and when I have played I've been running a round doing side-stuff a lot) I have to declare this a very short game, at least for the single player missions.

Ending spoilers ahoy:

Elise dying was something I expected throughout, it was just a case of when and how rather than if. I liked it though, it added a bit more emotion to the end.

I don't know if it's explained in something I've missed but Arno just breezing back into the Assassins was a bit annoying. I even went to the Assassin base afterwards and there was nothing to link the story together.

One final complaint - it seems they've just given up on the outside-the-animus story. The whole game is based on finding the sage, you find him, and... that's it. Germain's remains are too ancient for Abstergo to do anything with and you get a well done for your effort. The those-that-came-before story arc which was so prominent in the first three games now seems to have been either forgotten or deliberately shelved. I enjoyed it, maybe nobody else did.

Overall I did enjoy the game, it was so nice to have a "proper" Assassins Creed game again like 1, 2 and the other Ezio games, no sailing, no hunting, no defending yourself against random wolves or bears or wild cats, just running, climbing, assassinating and collecting.

I've finished Unity, and as I've really not been playing that much (and when I have played I've been running a round doing side-stuff a lot) I have to declare this a very short game, at least for the single player missions.

Ending spoilers ahoy:

Elise dying was something I expected throughout, it was just a case of when and how rather than if. I liked it though, it added a bit more emotion to the end.

I don't know if it's explained in something I've missed but Arno just breezing back into the Assassins was a bit annoying. I even went to the Assassin base afterwards and there was nothing to link the story together.

One final complaint - it seems they've just given up on the outside-the-animus story. The whole game is based on finding the sage, you find him, and... that's it. Germain's remains are too ancient for Abstergo to do anything with and you get a well done for your effort. The those-that-came-before story arc which was so prominent in the first three games now seems to have been either forgotten or deliberately shelved. I enjoyed it, maybe nobody else did.

Overall I did enjoy the game, it was so nice to have a "proper" Assassins Creed game again like 1, 2 and the other Ezio games, no sailing, no hunting, no defending yourself against random wolves or bears or wild cats, just running, climbing, assassinating and collecting.

The Sage is Junos husband. Juno is trying to be reborn to conquer the world, and he's still around trying to help her. And honestly, I haven't played AC:U yet, waiting to see if all the bugs/glitches get fixed, but the less outside the Animus stuff the better...no one cared around Desmond and the "nameless Abstergo Entertainment employee" sections of AC:BF was the weakest part of the game

It says Abstergo everywhere still, I think Helix is the "software" that the Animus technology is built into, all under the umbrella of Abstergo Entertainment.

It really doesn't move the Juno plot forward at all to the extent it is literally in the same spot at the end as it was at the beginning.

So, they're nixing the Season Pass for this, probably saving themselves some face in the process. Doesn't look good to be pumping out DLC whilst your base game is so fucked up, ya know? Buuuuuuuut, to make up for the shoddy release, they're releasing the 'Dead Kings' DLC free for everyone. Existing season pass owners will still get other stuff like that China spin off game as well a free Ubisoft game such as Far Cry 4 or The Crew.

Hats off to them on that.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finishing Rogue, and they really tie the out of Animus stuff directly into Unity to give you tons of back story before playing that one! Also, the final sequence absolutely sets up the opening sequence for Unity. Kind of brilliantly, really.

Also, reading the tablet documents shows a lot of potential future protagonist ideas.

Edited by BuddyAwesome

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...