The Assassin's Creed Series

Mr. X

Syndicate flows really free with the combat, it's nice because it feels more like the Batman style of fighting - you are attacking and not feeling like you are queuing up attacks. The enemy health bars are nice too - they'll glow yellow if they're counterable and get locked down with bars when they need to have their guard broken first and this usually happens before or instead of a button prompt - I've just started to ignore those entirely actually. When you get surrounded it's still WAY too much for you but that's the way it should be - at least until you are fully upgraded.

There's also a neat "almost finish off a guy/girl" aspect to it where you can stun someone once you get them in a near-death status and then take out two people at once. There are skills/perks that deal with putting people into near-death and taking out more at once.

Yeah the fighting is very Batman in Syndicate (which I immediately noticed since I'm still playing Arkham Knight). Its still fairly easy, but if you don't pay attention you can lose a fight quickly so it requires at least a bit of skill. As Apsham says, it flows nicely though and is actually fun as well as a bunch of cool things you can do.

Had my first glitches that actually pissed me off yesterday - both of the same type. In a couple of missions where I had to steal things from a particular person, said person would get killed and his corpse would end up resting inside some kind of masonry (wall/statue), making him inaccessible for theft. 

But hell, I'm on sequence 9 of 12 (13?) so I'm sure I will complete the main story anyway.

It's the best I've played in a while. I liked 2 at the time, 3 I adored due to the setting and IV was fun for a bit while Unity wasn't bad for me but a little meh in the middle - this just feels a lot better. It's probably my favorite of the series so far and I think it hints at taking the series' gameplay even further in the next instalments.

41 minutes ago, Lars Elric said:

IS Syndicate any good? I might buy it, I enjoyed the last part!

Us failing to do co-op on Unity in the past 3 months was just them setting us up for the removal of co-op entirely in this one.

I don't think AC will ever top Brotherhood as a game. It had a great protagonist (Ezio), a great enemy (Borgias), great location (Rome), a shocking ending (the death of Lucy and Ones Who Came Before revelations), great combat (especially the recruiting and weapons systems), fantastic free running, and just generally culminated in a game that had everything going for it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished the main story in Unity, and I agree with whoever it was who said that the ending was rather meh. I mean, of all the games in the AC series so far, it's felt by far the most detached from any kind of 'real world' story (Abstergo, Eden-related stuff, whatever)...which on the one hand I don't mind because that side of the AC series has always annoyed the shit out of me. But then, if the 'animus' story has nothing more to add after you kill the Big Bad then it probably does need something extra.

Once again I am put off the idea of going for 100% completion because of trophies/etc. that demand that I do Co-op missions, which I can't do without Playstation Plus, and there's no fucking way I'm bothering to get that just for the sake of Unity trophies. And in that case, I can't really will myself to go chest/cockade-hunting either. <_< 

• Like 1