SPOTY 2014

Lineker

• Admin
Ten contenders have been shortlisted for the 2014 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award on 14 December.
Golfer Rory McIlroy, footballer Gareth Bale, gymnast Max Whitlock, F1's Lewis Hamilton and swimmer Adam Peaty are on the list with Lizzy Yarnold (skeleton).
Boxer Carl Froch, Charlotte Dujardin (dressage), athlete Jo Pavey, plus Paralympic skier Kelly Gallagher and guide Charlotte Evans are nominated.
The public vote for their favourite by phone and online on the night.
With an array of candidates to choose from, an expert 12-member panel (Olympians Rebecca Adlington and Denise Lewis, Paralympian Baroness Tanni-Grey Thompson, footballer Jason Roberts, newspaper sports editors Mike Dunn (Independent, the i and Evening Standard), Howard Wheatcroft (Express Newspapers head of sport) and Alex Butler (Sunday Times); pan-sports broadcaster/journalist Alison Mitchell and the chair of SportScotland Louise Martin, Director of BBC Sport Barbara Slater; head of TV sport Philip Bernie and Carl Doran (executive editor, BBC Sports Personality of the Year)) faced some difficult choices finalising the shortlist.
The winner will be announced during this year's Sports Personality programme in Glasgow, which will celebrate a year of drama which included the World Cup, Winter Olympics and Commonwealth Games.
Gary Lineker, Clare Balding and Gabby Logan will present the show on BBC One, with further coverage on Radio 5 live and the BBC Sport website.
Voting details, including phone numbers for each nominee, are announced during the programme, when people can cast their votes online.
To vote online during the programme, you can register in advance.

The latest name to join an illustrious roll of honour will be announced in front of an expected 12,000 crowd at The SSE Hydro.
Viewers and the audience will be treated to an event with a real Scottish flavour.
Along with Simple Minds performing on the programme, there will also be live performances from violinist Nicola Benedetti and the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.
Last year's Sports Personality winner, tennis star Andy Murray, said: "It has been a sensational year for sport in Scotland with the Commonwealth Games and the Ryder Cup among lots of other major events that have taken place there.
"As a proud Scot, it's wonderful that we have been in the position to be able to host so many key events in the sporting calendar.
"Scotland did such a superb job of hosting the Commonwealths and the Ryder Cup, and I'm sure it will be no different for Sports Personality of the Year. It'll be a special night for the whole of Scotland and the UK, celebrating some of our best sportsmen and women."
More tickets have been made available for the show and can be purchased online at www.thessehydro.com, by calling the ticket hotline on 0844 395 4000 or in person from the main box office in the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre.
The ticket office is open Monday to Saturday 9am-6pm. Calls cost up to 5p/min from most landlines (an additional connection fee may also apply). Calls from mobiles may cost considerably more.
Tickets are priced at £45, £55 and £60 and will be subject to a 10% service charge with a limit of four per person. Children under 16 (minimum age 10 years) must be accompanied by an adult.
In addition to the main prize, there will also be six other awards on the night:
  • Team of the Year
  • Coach of the Year
  • Overseas Sports Personality of the Year
  • Young Sports Personality of the Year
  • Helen Rollason Award
  • Unsung Hero
For more details on voting terms and conditions, see www.bbc.co.uk/sportspersonality

Gotta be McIlroy's year?

I think he'll win it. Hamilton's achievement is a big one, but Rory dominated golf for a huge part of the season, picking up two majors, winning other tournaments and being on the winning Ryder Cup team.

Hope he gets it, although Lineker would have a fit!

• 3 weeks later...

Hamilton - 209,920

McIlroy - 123,745

Pavey - 99,913

I'm astonished it was that big of a gap.

I'm not at all surprised. Hamilton is hugely popular. I've been calling the result since the nominees were announced. I was hoping I was wrong though, cos I was pulling for Yarnold