General Music News

Benji

The singer Sinead O’Connor is reportedly receiving medical treatment after a worrying message about taking an ‘overdose’ was posted on her Facebook page.

O’Connor sparked fears for her wellbeing after the emotional post claiming she had taken an overdose at a hotel in Ireland was widely shared. She did not disclose the name or location of the hotel.

In the lengthy message posted two hours ago, O’Connor, who has four children, said she was “broken by events during this week and claimed to have been subject to “appalling cruelty”.

“The last two nights finished me off. I have taken an overdose” it read.

“I am at a hotel, somewhere in Ireland, under another name. There is only so much any woman can be expected to bear.”

The authenticity of the post has not been verified and The Independent could not immediately reach a representative for O’Connor for comment.

Gardai Police were alerted to her message and found O’Connor, according to the Irish Examiner. She is reportedly “safe and well” and receiving medical treatment.

A police spokesperson told The Independent it could not comment on individual cases.

O’Connor, 48, underwent a hysterectomy in August and cancelled all of her 2015 shows in July to care for her child after he was diagnosed with a “life-threatening illness”. She did not specify the nature of his illness at the time.

Ruth Sutherland, Samaritans’ CEO said, "Our research shows that many people find social media to be a crucial outlet when they are struggling to cope. If you are concerned about someone you know, or are experiencing difficult feelings, talking through whatever is getting to you can make all the difference – it can be life saving."

Anyone in need of confidential support can contact The Samaritans 24 hours a day, seven days a week on 116 123 or by visiting www.samaritans.org

- Source (Independent)

Always been a volatile one, I hope she gets the help she needs.

• 1 month later...

I like the news that David Bowie turned down a Coldplay collaboration because he said the song wasn't very good. 

http://pitchfork.com/news/63015-david-bowie-turned-down-a-coldplay-collaboration-saying-its-not-a-very-good-song/

• Like 1

Iggy Pop and Josh Homme made a surprise announcement on Colbert last night, that they had recorded a new album together. It's called Post Pop Depression, and features work by Homme, Dean Fertita (QOTSA), and Matt Helders (Arctic Monkeys). They also debuted the first single last night, "Gardenia":

• Like 1

The former Dio & Rainbow and current Last In Line Bassist Jimmy Bain has reportedly passed away at the age of 68 according to several sources within the industry. These sources are former Dio and AC/DC drummer who posted about it on his Facebook page as well as Diana DeVille who works for Wendy Dio's Niji Management on her Instagram page. So far there hasn't been any confirmation by his current band or his family. But there have been several tributes by musicians he knew including former Dio and Whitesnake guitarist Doug Aldrich, Dave Mustaine and former Motörhead guitarist Phil Campbell.

Jimmy Bain was born on December 19th 1947 in Newtonmore in the Highland council area of Scotland. He played in several amateur bands there as a teen. When his parents relocated to Canada he joined them only to return to Scotland shortly afterward. He then joined the band Harlot 1974 and remained with them until he was asked by Ritchie Blackmore to join Rainbow in 1975. With them he recorded the studio album "Rising", which was released in 1976, as well as the live albums "On Stage" (1977) and "Live In Germany 1976" (1990). His stint in the band wasn't long though as he was fired by Blackmore in 1977. In the summer of 1978 he founded the band "Wild Horses" with former Thin Lizzy guitarist Brian Robertson. They released two albums in the early 80s for which in addition of playing the bass he also provided lead vocals. During that time he also wrote songs for several artists including Phil Lynott' for his two solo albums. He even played bass on one of the songs on Thin Lizzy's "Black Rose: A Rock Legend" album. He was also featured on Gary Moore's Dirty Fingers album that was recorded in 1981 but released 1983 in Japan and 1984 in Europe.

In late 1982 he was asked by his former Rainbow bandmate Ronnie James Dio to join his solo band simply named Dio. He remained with the band until 1989 and recorded a total of 4 studio albums with them. While with the band he and guitarist Vivian Campbell also came up with the idea to start a charity music project similar to Band Aid and USA for Africa but with Rock musicians. They forwarded the idea to Dio and founded the project Hear 'n Aid which produced the single "Stars" that featured musicians from bands such as Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dokken, Quiet Riot, Blue Öyster Cult, Queensyche, Ozzy Osbourne, W.A.S.P., Twisted Sister, Mötley Crue, Journey, Yngwie Malmsteen and Nightranger. After leaving Dio he appeared on the debut album of the band World War III together with his former Dio colleague Vinny Appice and soon to be Dio guitarist Tracy G. He re-joined Dio for a short amount of time between November 1992 and March of 1993 but left the band without recording any records. In 1996 he tried to get his own band "The Key" off the ground without much luck. He rejoined Dio again in 1999 and recorded the albums "Magica" (2000) and "Killing The Dragon" (2002) before leaving again in 2004. In 2005 he crossed paths again with Appice as they worked together on a project called "3 Legged Dogg" which also featured Vinny Appice as well as members of Lynch Mob and Quiet Riot.

Most recently he joined his former Dio bandmates Vivian Campbell, who hasn't played with a metal band since leaving Dio in 1985, and Vinny Appice plus Lynch Mob singer Andrew Freeman in the band "The Last In Line" to perform songs they wrote together with Dio. Their debut album is scheduled to be released on February 19th via Frontiers Music.

These are two of the songs from their upcoming album:
Martyr:

Devil In Me:

• 1 month later...

AC/DC has to postpone the remaining 10 shows of the U.S. leg of their "Rock Or Bust" tour. In a press release the band states that the doctors of singer Brian Johnson advised him to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss. The shows will be rescheduled to later this year and will likely feature a quest singer.

This are the dates that will be recheduled:

March 08 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena
March 11 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - BB&T Center
March 14 - Greensboro, NC - Greensboro Coliseum
March 17 - Washington, DC - Verizon Center
March 20 - Detroit, MI - The Palace
March 23 - Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena
March 26 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
March 29 - Buffalo, NY - First Niagara Center
April 01 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
April 04 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden

These guys just can't catch a break, can they? First Malcom is diagnosed with dementia, then Phil Rudd goes crazy and now this. I hope Johnson makes a full recovery and can return to the band. I also wonder who they'll get as quest singer. Marc Storace from Krokus would be a great choice.

On 3/8/2016 at 16:39, Hellraiser said:

AC/DC has to postpone the remaining 10 shows of the U.S. leg of their "Rock Or Bust" tour. In a press release the band states that the doctors of singer Brian Johnson advised him to stop touring immediately or risk total hearing loss. The shows will be rescheduled to later this year and will likely feature a quest singer.

This are the dates that will be recheduled:

March 08 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena
March 11 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL - BB&T Center
March 14 - Greensboro, NC - Greensboro Coliseum
March 17 - Washington, DC - Verizon Center
March 20 - Detroit, MI - The Palace
March 23 - Columbus, OH - Nationwide Arena
March 26 - Cleveland, OH - Quicken Loans Arena
March 29 - Buffalo, NY - First Niagara Center
April 01 - Philadelphia, PA - Wells Fargo Center
April 04 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden

These guys just can't catch a break, can they? First Malcom is diagnosed with dementia, then Phil Rudd goes crazy and now this. I hope Johnson makes a full recovery and can return to the band. I also wonder who they'll get as quest singer. Marc Storace from Krokus would be a great choice.

I hope this guy is the quest singer

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Jericode said:

I am aware :P Only liked one Yellowcard album and they played it in full at Slam Dunk, so I'll live that one, and I'm seeing FVK in two weeks, I've been told it's still on as one of their last shows :P

Unless you're seeing FVK at Shield Fest, all shows have apparently been cancelled. 

I quite like Yellowcard now, bit of a shame, but at least I can say I've seen em now.

5 minutes ago, Jericode said:

It is Shield Fest, its in Bridgend and my mate is one of the promoters/organisers, so I'm going for free too :P

But gutted the singer's quit, they were good when I saw them in March.

Junior are playing too, they are Mark Andrews band.

Chaka Khan's entering rehab for a Fentanyl addiction, citing Prince's death as one of the main reasons she wants to get clean.

• 4 weeks later...

Leonard Cohen penned a heartbreaking final letter to his muse, Marianne Ihlen, before she passed away 29 July, aged 81. 

It was Ihlen who had inspired the likes of 'So Long, Marianne' and 'Bird on a Wire', after the pair had met on the Greek island of Hydra in the 1960s and became romantically intertwined.

CBC Radio spoke to Ihlen's close friend Jan Christian Mollestad, a documentary filmmaker, who had broken the news to Cohen that she was dying and had received his letter in return to read to Ihlen. "It said, 'Well Marianne it's come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon,'" Mollestad recalled.

"'Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine. And you know that I've always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don't need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road… '"

"When I read the lines 'stretch out your hand,' she stretched out her hand. Only two days later she lost consciousness and slipped into death. I wrote a letter back to Leonard saying in her final moments I hummed 'A Bird on a Wire' because that was the song she felt closest to. And then I kissed her on the head and left the room, and said 'so long, Marianne.'"

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/leonard-cohen-pens-heartbreaking-final-letter-to-dying-muse-marianne-ihlen-a7177126.html?cmpid=facebook-post

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Here's an interesting note on Spotify: sad to say I had an ear worm which happened to be Lostprophets. Morals (and quality of music) aside, it appears they've done a 'Chris Benoit / WWE Network' job on them - you can't find them on the search engine, but their Spotify page with their songs/albums is accessible through existing user playlists that have their songs on them.

Which begs the question, if Benoit's inclusion on the Network was done solely as not to seriously fuck up integral parts of continuity for five years of WCW and seven years of WWE, why is a band that in no way effects any other content around it actually still on Spotify? Why not just delete them?