RPS

We are in December, which basically means there isn't a whole lot of big releases to come and the 'best of the year' lists are going to start dropping. So what was everyone's favorite (and least favorite) albums, music videos and songs? What was the best live performance of the year? What did you listen to a lot this year?

I wasn't overly impressed with 2014. There were some great releases from electronic musicians, it was all in the second half of the year. I thought it was a pretty weak year for hip hop, though Azealia Banks releasing a surprise album near the end of the year was great.

My pick for album of the year is Against! Me's Transgender Dysphoria Blues. I haven't enjoyed a punk album like this in probably a good 10 years. I think the best punk albums sound angry, have something different to say, and the album has something culturally relevant to say. I think TDB knocks it out of the park on all three criteria. I'd probably put it in my top 20 punk albums of all time.

• Like 1

I have a few nominess, although I have been very out of the loop with music released this year compared to last year. The Mountains' self-titled album that dropped earlier is still my favorite, definitely. The new Swans record is also brilliant. Then there is the two Neil Cicierega records and of course, Devin Townsend's double album and his Casualties of Cool release. I am going to have to re-listen to some stuff one of these days though, and figure out a proper list and favorite.

Top 20 Albums of 2014:

1. Dirty Beaches - Stateless
  2. Ariel Pink - Pom Pom
  3. milo - a toothpaste suburb
  4. Open Mike Eagle - Dark Comedy
  5. Fushitsusha and Peter Brotzmann - Nothing Changes No One Can Change Anything, I Am Ever-Changing Only You Can Change Yourself
  6. Danny Spiteri - Crea Island
  7. Black Rain - Dark Pool
  8. A Sunny Day in Glasgow - Sea When Absent
  9. Andy Stott - Faith in Strangers
  10. Battle Trance - Palace of Wind
  11. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Piñata
  12. Death Grips - Niggas on the Moon
  13. Arca - Xen
  14. Busdriver - Perfect Hair
  15. Kikagaku Moyo - Mammatus Clouds
  16. Jenny Hval and Susanna - Meshes of Voice
  17. Foxygen - ...And Star Power
  18. nmesh - Dream Sequins
  19. Dean Blunt - Black Metal
  20. Oneohtrix Point Never - Commissions I

Hmm, is the new Against Me! really that good? I love their stuff up to and including the first album, but after that I felt like their music, hmm...lacked real emotion? It seemed like they were going through the motions. But I could imagine Laura Jane's recent transition would make for some emotional music. I assume she sings about it because, you know, the album title.

My favorite of the year has definitely been Run the Jewels 2 so far, but there's some stuff I still need to listen to.

My favorite songs from 2014 that I've heard and can immediately remember liking (limited to one song per artist): "Deja Vu" by Cibo Matto, "Blockbuster Night Part 1" by Run the Jewels, "Fleetfoot Ghost" by Mirah, "The Bell" by First Aid Kit, "Boom Clap" by Charli XCX, and the Mr. Numbers and Mr. Wrench leitmotif from Fargo.

Hmm, is the new Against Me! really that good? I love their stuff up to and including the first album, but after that I felt like their music, hmm...lacked real emotion? It seemed like they were going through the motions. But I could imagine Laura Jane's recent transition would make for some emotional music. I assume she sings about it because, you know, the album title.

My favorite of the year has definitely been Run the Jewels 2 so far, but there's some stuff I still need to listen to.

I personally love the album and, as I said, would probably rank it in my top 20 punk albums of all time. The songs are great, Laura Jane has a lot to be pissed about and there isn't a punk album out there with the same view. The first minute into the album Laura Jane is busting out: "You want them to see you/Like they see any other girl/They just see a faggot/They hold their breath not to catch the sick". Raw, emotional stuff.

I'm slipping, because this is the first I've heard of Run The Jewels 2 and so far what little I've heard I really dig.

My favourite album by far is Suspended at Aphelion by While Heaven Wept. Beautiful.

I'd seriously have to look at a releases page on Wiki or something to list everything beneath it.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that Charli XCX album today.

If I was 17-18 years old, this would be my #1 album of the year. I mean that in the best way possible. Great mix of dance music, pop-punk posturing and some great hip hop influences.

• Like 1

Yeah this year-

Royal Blood

The Blackout's "Wolves" EP,

new Mallory Knox album

"The Balcony" by Catfish and the Bottlemen

"Electrogram" by Vinyl Theatre

New Lower than Atlantis

Motion by Calvin Harris

New Courteeners album

Didn't think much of this year at first, but looking back, some good stuff was released. I quite like Boom Clap and Break the Rules by Charli XCX as an aside.