Formula One 2015

Lineker

I really don't get the VDG Superlicense thing. He's already competed in F1 in the past, why doesn't he have a superlicense already? Do you need to renew each season or something, and VDG didn't? Genuinely curious. Whatever the answer, this reeks of the FIA interfering to save Sauber's backside, which they really shouldn't be doing. The whole situation is pretty stupid, but Sauber kind of brought this on themselves by promising a race seat to 3 different drivers and not realising that they couldn't do maths properly. IMO Sauber should face the consequences of their own stupidity and not be bailed out by the FIA

I really don't get the VDG Superlicense thing. He's already competed in F1 in the past, why doesn't he have a superlicense already? Do you need to renew each season or something, and VDG didn't? Genuinely curious. Whatever the answer, this reeks of the FIA interfering to save Sauber's backside, which they really shouldn't be doing. The whole situation is pretty stupid, but Sauber kind of brought this on themselves by promising a race seat to 3 different drivers and not realising that they couldn't do maths properly. IMO Sauber should face the consequences of their own stupidity and not be bailed out by the FIA

Yeah, you need to re-apply..

VDG did as soon as the appeal was shot down, Sauber waited as long as possible, and it's paid off so far, it should probably be done in time for FP3 though.

Sauber aren't actually running FP1 and FP2 to probably save themselves from more legal action, the drivers are just sitting in their car with the engines off.

Manor are there, but also not running today, they said they hope to be ready in time for qualifying.

EDIT: What I don't get is Charlie Whiting saying you need a superlicense for practice.. isn't FP1 used to get KMs for your super license, like Verstappen did last year?

You need some sort of provisionam SL for practice, one that proves youre not a danger to yourself or others on track...

VDG would easily get that license, but due to Sauber/FIA stalling he couldnt get it in time... It has become an extremely petty affair from Sauber just being a pouty kid and refusing to budge rather than just take the hit and live to see next weekend.

VDG has come across a s just as childish, no one looks good coming out of this.

Well the commentators said during FP1 that VDG('s sponsors) paid Sauber 8 million back in August to secure his seat.

• Admin

He signed a contract to drive for them in 2015. He will have a super licence by Malaysia.

Whether he will then have to go through the Malaysian courts I don't know. But he had a seat fitting in Ericsson's car today. Apparently, all of the mechanics walked out in protest when he entered the Sauber garages.

AFAIK the Australian court has no jurisdiction outside of Australia, but there's nothing stopping VDG going to court in every country.

The latest news there is VDG has gone back to court to get Sauber's assets seized, but the hearing for that has been adjourned for negotiations till 9am Saturday (10pm Friday night GMT). Most likely like James said, they pay him off.

For what it's worth, Ericsson and Nasr were both in FP2

• Admin

The bailiffs were even at the circuit and VDG said he wanted Monisha arrested! After a while they left though.

Hopefully overnight common sense will prevail. Struggling to see where Sauber will find the funds to pay VDG off.

And after all this of course the big question you have to ask is should Monisha resign?

It would be kind of hilarious if he did race, starts and then the paddock just remotely turns his engine off.

At this stage, if Sauber can cobble the money together, paying him off seems the best bet. I wonder if this fuss will hurt his future chances at any other team.

• Admin

At this stage, if Sauber can cobble the money together, paying him off seems the best bet. I wonder if this fuss will hurt his future chances at any other team.

Oh he's going to be completely blackballed. Unless he throws a metric fuckton of dough at Manor.

It would be kind of hilarious if he did race, starts and then the paddock just remotely turns his engine off.

Genuinely wouldn't be surprised if they end up doing something like this.

Not going to happen. That would be the very definition of cutting your nose to spite your face.

Guy pays 8 million to guarantee his seat and gets fucked over by some woman who then does a runner when bailiffs show up?

I don't see why he should get blackballed for taking normal legal steps to get what's rightfully his? Should he say "yeah, you're right, keep my 8 million, I'll just sit out here and do nothing and not make an income"

Have they kept his $8 Million? Haven't seen that in anything I've read. Thought it was more of a case of telling him he needed to raise $8 Million and the seat was his, he raised it then got told to fuck off after Ericsson and Nasr raised more.

If they have kept it, then yeah, Sauber are deservingly fucked.

• Admin

Have they kept his $8 Million? Haven't seen that in anything I've read. Thought it was more of a case of telling him he needed to raise $8 Million and the seat was his, he raised it then got told to fuck off after Ericsson and Nasr raised more.

iirc they spent it over the winter to keep themselves operational, essentially.

iirc they spent it over the winter to keep themselves operational, essentially.

In that case, like I said, fuck Sauber.

So if they don't give VDG his seat and/or his money back, I'm guessing they can get done for fraud as well their on going case of breach of contracr

Guy pays 8 million to guarantee his seat and gets fucked over by some woman who then does a runner when bailiffs show up?

I don't see why he should get blackballed for taking normal legal steps to get what's rightfully his? Should he say "yeah, you're right, keep my 8 million, I'll just sit out here and do nothing and not make an income"

Because he hasn't gone about this in the most respectful of ways.

Really, I get the sense you just want another Dutchman at the back of the grid :shifty:

• Like 3