The 2015 Music Thread

RPS

In "crappy music news", Sleater Kinney's new album leaked a month before it's release date. Not because of some nefarious third party, but because Sub Pop accidentally emailed out a streaming copy of the album that was supposed to be put out a week before the album was out. I bet Sub Pop feels stupid today.

In "great music news", Sleater Kinney's new album is great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Heard the full American Beauty / American Psycho album and holy crap is Fall Out Boy knocking out of the park again.

I mean, I quite enjoyed Save Rock And Roll, but I feel like this one is free from their terrible, terrible single selection that had followed their entire career and is full of a great energy. Loving it.

I too, enjoy the new Fall Out Boy.

And while I'm sure it will be met with an :eyeroll: I really dig the new Marilyn Manson album. After the last three albums were trying too hard to still be creepy 90s Marilyn Manson, this album plays like someone fully aware that his star has fallen. It's still Marilyn, for better or worse, but easily his best work since Golden Age of Grotesque.

Also, I need help finding new music. Currently in the middle of my annual "oh fuck I'm old I have to hip myself to the music the youths are listening to" search and I'm coming up empty. I mean, it's pretty bad that the albums I'm most excited about in 2015 are Smashing Pumpkins, Veruca Salt and Marilyn Manson, so any advice for a kid stuck in the 90s but still wants to find actual new stuff?

Zero, if you wanna know what the hip kids listen to, just go on Pitchfork and see what received Best New Music. That is basically a shortlist for what is hip in music.

• Like 1

Since you are all singing the praises of the new Fall Out Boy album, I am going to ask a question. I have only ever heard that terrible break-out single they had, "This Ain't a Scene, It's an Arms Race" and, evidently, thought it was dreadful. Based on that, is the new album worth checking out or will I be disappointed? I am asking both because I am not shy to give bands I have disliked in the past another chance (especially since seven god damn years have passed, geez) and also because I need something to fill January album calender out. Actually, I need one more album to finish it off - any suggestions?

This is the list so far:

• 2015, by Shotgun Suicide Victim
  • Invisible, by Steve Roach
  • Lesson's Of The Wise: Book 1, by A.K
  • Infinitati, by Phase90
  • The Quantum Loonyverse, by Cylob
  • Rosetta: Audio/Visual Original Soundtrack, by Rosetta
  • OMGBICH, by Kemet Dank X Yung Lor Fifi
  • Kill Them...All, by The Kill
  • SremmLife, by Rae Sremmurd
  • Bloomsday, by Esbe
  • Bass Music, by Mr. 3
  • Answer, by Ghost Culture
  • Gold Shadow, by Asaf Avidan
  • Panda Bear Meets The Grim Reaper, by Panda Bear
  • Chronicle, by Lights and Motion
  • Den Europæiske Spejlbue, by Frisk Frugt
  • Absent Fathers, by Justin Townes Earle
  • Lanquin, by The Attic Sleepers
  • Frontschwein, by Marduk
  • Girls in Peacetime Want to Dance, by Belle & Sebastian
  • American Beauty/American Psycho, by Fall Out Boy (?)
  • No Cities to Love, by Sleater-Kinney
  • Viet Cong, by Viet Cong
  • 9999 in 1, by Mord Fustang
  • Tetsuo & Youth, by Lupe Fiasco
  • Chromatics, by Diagrams
  • Apex Predator Easy Meat, by Napalm Death
  • Paradise Lost, by Renegades of Jazz
  • B4.Da.$$, by Joey Bada$$
  • Secret Youth, by Callisto
  • (?)

My only complaint about the new Fall Out Boy album is that Munsters sample on "Uma Thurman". Just irked me for reasons I can't quite verbalize yet.

We're just under a month in, and I'm pretty comfortable in saying the new Sleater-Kinney is my favorite thus far. Decemberists and FOB are also good stuff. New Manson is meh, though I wonder if part of that is me just growing out of most heavy music.

Greatly looking forward to the new Punch Brothers in a week or so. Also need to grab the new Bjork and Guster. New Modest Mouse singles have been rock-solid, too. '15 has started out quite nicely.

The Sonics are releasing their first new album in almost 50 fucking years.

Saw them at a New Year's Eve show in Olympia a couple years back and they killed it, might have to go to that show with them and Mudhoney in April.

• Like 1

Am I the only one that thinks Mark Ronson's Uptown Special is really good?

I spent last weekend in a big holiday home with 8 of my friends, all who enjoy different music and in some cases, very little music at all. I queued up the best parts of this album and everyone enjoyed it. It'll be a brilliant summer album, without a doubt.

2015 has been really good in its first month IMO but it could be because a lot of bands/artists I like are putting stuff out (Sleater-Kinney, Ty Segall, Belle and Sebastian, Panda Bear) but I've really enjoyed Jazmine Sullivan, B.C. Camplight, Viet Cong and Universal Togetherness Band's releases. If you enjoy ambient/electronic stuff, you could do a lot worse than Cliff Martinez' "My Life as Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn" soundtrack. Reminds me of the Mass Effect soundtrack in parts with it's use of synths.