EWB Game of the Year - Results

Plubby

I would have voted, but I just didn't play enough this year to warrant the Game of the Year tag. Like you said, just one or two votes could have had a game placing really high on the list.

I would have had The Golf Club, Far Cry 4 and Watch Dogs in there, I imagine. Far Cry is probably just about my GOTY despite the shit story, ahead of Golf Club.

With so few people voting this year, it was always going to be a risk that two games that polled extremely highly could come in and take a high spot like this. I think the top 5 are reasonable, and we'll start to see them from this evening (my time) :)

Wahey! Don Bradman! To be fair it's the best cricket game there's actually ever been.

That's absolute and utter rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_96

This was.

Neither of those games are correct because neither are the Brian Lara series on the Mega Drive.

• Like 2

With so few people voting this year, it was always going to be a risk that two games that polled extremely highly could come in and take a high spot like this. I think the top 5 are reasonable, and we'll start to see them from this evening (my time) :)

Wahey! Don Bradman! To be fair it's the best cricket game there's actually ever been.

That's absolute and utter rubbish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_96

This was.

Neither of those games are correct because neither are the Brian Lara series on the Mega Drive.

This.

I didn't vote as I would struggle to come up with a top ten this year. I've spent a lot of it playing games I missed out on in previous years (Last of Us, Tomb raider, Dark souls).

Such impatience. Many wow.

250px-SmashNintendo3DSBoxart.png

Super_Smash_Bros_for_Wii_U_Box_Art.png

Super Smash Bros for 3DS & WiiU

243 Weighted points, 3 nominations.

Given that nobody specified which console they were voting for and they share a wiki page, i'm treating them as the same game. The first Smash game in six years, SSB had the second-highest average finish of games that had at least two votes. Smash has been a beloved franchise the world over ever since you could finally put the boots into the awful characters from the Zelda franchise. It's available on both current Nintendo consoles, so check out what your fellow EWB'ers have decided is the fifth-best game of the year!

220px-Fables_Telltale_Logo.png

The Wolf Among Us

256 Weighted points, 4 nominations.

The only game eligible for both counts i've run, TWAU gets in under the "episodic game" thing in which they're all different games! (kinda) It didn't make last years' list despite polling only one additional time. There was a retail version released earlier this year that presumably has all 5 episodes to date (The last episode was released in July, the retail version in November, and I can find no evidence to the contrary) so if you have a PS3/360 you can pick them all up at once! Check it out!

• Like 1

I think that one of the main weaknesses in Telltale's games is that the choices that often boil down to "save this person or let them die" are often undermined by the fact that they will inevitably end up dying anyway, or that whatever opinion you ventured towards a big plot point ended up being ignored as the game railroaded itself into whichever direction it needed to go. I felt that The Wolf Among Us was probably the best example to date of Telltale doing away with most of the binary "life or death" scenarios of The Walking Dead in favour of more seemingly minor, yet more morally thought-provoking decisions that helped the player craft the character of Bigby in the way they saw fit, and it was that approach that managed to complement the already intriguing setting, rather than risk working against it. I say that as a fan of the most recent Walking Dead episodes, but I consider The Wolf Among Us to be superior.

• Like 1

220px-AlphaSapphire.jpg

Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby

288.8 Weighted points, 5 nominations.

Another day, another dollar. Another year with 'mons in the top 10. ORAS has leapt 5 places over last year's Pokemon offering to hold down a top-3 spot in this year's count. I think there are probably more people living below the poverty line than there are people who haven't played a second of Mons. Which is kind of depressing. I'm just getting into this with my all-poison team and am really enjoying it. I recommend you do too! Top offering.

• Like 1

MarioKart8Boxart.jpg

Mario Kart 8

352.6r Weighted points, 6 nominations.

Just when you thought it was safe to go through a console without falling victim to Mario Kart...THINK AGAIN! (Nobody thought this, did they?) So you played it, you loved it, it's still a top-notch party game. And if you disagree, well....

luigi-death-stare-meme-mario-kart-8-02a.

Mario Kart is a fun game.. for a little bit. I just don't see the long term appeal. Even with the DLC and everything there just isn't enough there for me once I've done all the courses and while playing with friends is fine and all it's not really all that competitive, the way that the game is structured. Meh.

Bah, fun as it was, Dragon Age getting top spot when it's so buggy is a let down.

Is this just on PC that it's buggy? I haven't heard a peep from anyone I've played with on the consoles, and here most of what I've seen bugged has to do with achievements. Meh. It was still an amazing game regardless.