EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2014: The Results

GoGo Yubari

I'm sure Derek is as critically good as what people state but for the life of me i cannot watch more than 5 seconds of any program as soon as i see Ricky Gervais' face. I despise the man

I just finally finished the UK Office, which I think is incredible and one of the best British comedies are made. I've got a lot of time for his stuff, but the pilot just didn't do anything for me in terms of humour or emotion. Might give it the service of giving a few episodes a try, though.

"Critically good" re: Derek is surprising to me because every review I read of it basically murdered it. There are people I like who like it but I just don't know if I can get into it. The reviews comparing it to "Simple Jack" from Tropic Thunder is going to be a hard image for me to shake, even with Karl Pilkington there in a bad wig.

...wait.

What is happening in that Supernatural picture? I need to really get caught up...

...its from a Con

I did some looking. Isn't it from episode 200?

I'm not actually up to date on the show. Just been watching reruns on TNT in the morning. Need to start it on Netflix I guess

Derek was wonderful, once the characters are established its hilarious and heartwarming in sections (probably more the latter, its far from an out and out comedy). I think some people will always struggle to see past Gervais 'doing disabled', but as he's always stated Derek isn't disabled.

I can understand it not massively translating to an international audience though, its a very 'quiet' show which isn't really an American approach.

Edited by Ultra Rare Colly
  • Like 1

Episode 200 is the most Supernatural I've ever watched, and by that I mean I had it on on mute after The Flash was over.

Also it was Supernatural I was referring to, thinking that it was the only show left that has appeared on every one of these. Turns out I was wrong, there are three shows that have that accomplishment!

People judged Derek before they saw it. When the trailer was first put out I was a lot deeper in the whole "comedy" community and people despised the concept of it, calling it offensive and a Gervais egotrip and so on. Then when the show actually aired it turned out it was a warm, genuine comedy with likeable yet tragic characters and a clear morality. It was very touching on first viewing actually ... But none of the people I mentioned changed face. They couldn't bear the thought of Gervais actually showing how talented a writer he is.

Basically, it is a lot different from anything else he's done. If I was to compare it to anything it would probably be Louie in terms of tone. Definitely worth giving a chance, but don't expect a laugh a minute.

• Like 1

Whoops! Pretty sure one of these shows has been on every single one of these lists too. See if you can guess which!

ubptNre.png

35. Episodes (29 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: NR)

snaWuX6.png

34. The Blacklist (30 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: NR)

5wiESp8.png

33. Toast of London (31 points, appeared on three ballots) (Last Year: #49)

QKe8zRM.png

32. Justified (31 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year #7)

aL4YmDo.png

31. The Big Bang Theory (32 points, appeared on four ballots) (Last Year: #16)

If you guessed Episodes, CONGRATULATIONS, YOU GOT IT :shifty:

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2014: ♫ We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when... ♫

When I started my new job last summer the guy above me had a custom made 'Yes I can hear you Clem Fandango' keyring. He's since left and I moved up, but I think I'd rather keep seeing that keyring than the payrise...

Justified should be a little higher than it is, but to be honest it had a major down year. The fact that Livid didn't submit a ballot hurt it too.

I don't watch anything else out of this four, so my reactions range from "wow, where's the usual arguments over The Big Bang Theory" to "wow, this is the most people who watch Episodes I've ever seen in one place" to "pfftahahahaha Red Reddington!"

• Like 1