EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2014: The Results

GoGo Yubari

Seriously need to watch Frago and Orange, and should probably take people's work that Agents of Shield got a lot better, cos the first few episodes were terrible. Latest Mad-Men half season was amazing, can't wait for the end, but I feel like 10 is definitely too low.

Mad Men was tremendous this year. A lot of the hype is dying down since so many other shows (and ways to watch them) have blown up since Mad Men premiered, but it hasn't lost a step at all. Though not my personal favorite, I still say it's the best written, acted and produced show on TV today.

Haven't been able to get into SHIELD because the first half of season 1 is such. a. drag. Loved the pilot and I know it has gotten better as most Joss shows do, but it hasn't been a priority for me yet, only 10 episodes in.

Orange in the New Black was tremendous in season 2, love how much they're exploring the rest of the cast and their stories, even the minor characters. My only concern is that the branching out is going to lead to a Ryan Murphy-esque meltdown where they try to do everything all at once.

Haven't watched Fargo yet.

Haven't been able to get into SHIELD because the first half of season 1 is such. a. drag. Loved the pilot and I know it has gotten better as most Joss shows do, but it hasn't been a priority for me yet, only 10 episodes in.

Just stick with it. You need to go only like 2 or 3 episodes more I think before it starts getting good, and now it's fucking great. Bill Paxton's first episode is generally agreed upon to be the starting point of Agents of SHIELD's quality going up.

Someone, I want to say GoGo, did a pretty solid mini-list of episodes to watch before jumping into the best part of the show. There's like four, five episodes and then you just go from episode 13 and it hits the ground running. 13 itself isn't amazing, but everything afterwards is crazy good.

Mad Men at number 10 is absurd. This year may have been it's best season overall.

Unfortunately, Mad Men's voterbase is basically small-but-passionate, and some of them weren't there this year :(

FadZKTy.png

6. The Walking Dead (157 points, appeared on fifteen ballots) (Last Year: #3)

gcqEhco.png

5. Arrow (184 points, appeared on sixteen ballots) (Last Year: #10)

v4N8gwD.png

4. True Detective (190 points, appeared on sixteen ballots) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2014: I am the brother of Elia Martell, and do you know why I've come all the way to this stinking shitpile of a city? For you.

Yeah, I don't... really agree with The Flash in the top three at all. I'm actually surprised it had ten episodes, it felt like less for some reason. Maybe because I was initially forgetting about some of the more unremarkable ones (the one with the mist guy, the one with the awful actress playing Plastique). In general I think the CW shows are a teensy bit overrated, but Arrow's stretch run in season two was fucking incredible. The Flash doesn't have that kind of weight to it and it's not knocking it out of the park every week. It was maybe in my top 20, but maybe not because I had to cut Last Week Tonight and The Daily Show and Agents of SHIELD and Justified and...

But, I mean, Dexter season five won the whole thing one year, so worse things have happened than a fun superhero show finishing that high.