Week 5 (Ellis)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie will we watch?

• Re-Animator (1985)
    • The Dark Crystal (1982)
    • Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
    • The Odd Couple (1968)
    • The Muppet Movie (1979)

I thought I'd choose a mix. They're all on Netflix, but there's nothing ridiculously old on there. There's only one foreign film, but it's meant to be a great action film. I thought I'd throw McCullin in there incase people fancied a documentary as something different.

I have watched like 20 minutes of Short Term 12, so definitely that!

I do like that Jimmy completely ignored the barriers we were supposed to follow, by the way :P

Also it's not letting my vote go through, it keeps saying I have to vote in all the questions.

Pretty much this - I also want to vote Short Term 12, but it isn't letting me vote either.

Ok then :P spoilered for those who haven't watched it yet.

Only going to be brief with it. I really liked the premise of the IRA attacks, and thought they set up a decent threat as an opposition. The small but persistent spoiler of Sean Bean being the lead villain kinda told me how the ending was gonna go, but I thought the way he went out was cool nonetheless :P It's the first thing I've seen Sean Bean play a bad guy in, so it was nice to see another side to him. Definitely has the villain look down.

I really liked the variety of action in it too; terrorist attack, car chase, boat fight, attempted home invasion; there was a really good mix and kept it interesting the whole way through.

Currently watching.

Sean Bean's mullet scares me.

The film itself feels bizarrely archaic. Stuff involving the IRA is what I saw as a young kid and not so much these days, so it's weird to see an entire film centred around it.

Half way now... (edit one)

Mullet is gone!

They mentioned a traitor and then Samuel L Jackson got introduced later. Totes calling it now that SLJ is the traitor.

Final thoughts (edit two)...

It was a decent film. Nothing that blew me away, but it was a fun Harrison Ford film, which is always going to be above average.

• Like 1

I watched Patriot Games last week but delayed posting anything about it since I couldn't come with anything outside of 'Ehhhhh'. I mean, it's OK but nowt special.

Wait, thought of more. I don't know if this kind of thing happens in real life but I found IRA members going to train in the desert with some other terrorists. I'm just imaging some kind of terrorist super team or something. Lot of stuff really struck me as stupid here though. Like the lawyer for Sean Bean's character arguing that he was just an innocent bystander trying to help like Ford's character. I thought the story was gonna be him getting off and then going out for revenge and I was about to flip my shit if that was the defense that did it. Also, this crack team of highly intelligent government workers really thought that putting this fringe IRA groups two biggest targets under the same roof was a good idea? And I guess they only did it for the sake of creating a dramatic conclusion but why did Ford leave everyone on the beach and lure the terrorists out on the other? Surely it would have been better to just split the group between both boats and escape, not leave them cowering on a beach hoping the terrorists didn't turn around and spot them.

As for Hard Boiled, like I said, already seen it but wasn't too fussed about most of the films on the list so I guess I don't mind giving it a rewatch.

• Like 1