The 87th Academy Awards

Jimmy

BUT WHO'S THE ANTAGONIST. WHERE IS THE TENSION. WHAT ARE THE STAKES.

Or something like that.

To me, Boyhood gave me a feeling that Dazed and Confused did, which I'm only citing because it's the first thing that pops into my head.. I felt like I was watching real characters that had more realism and more depth than 90% of movies. I felt like behind whatever is happening in the scene at the time, these characters were actually related and were really living together or had been friends for years or what-have-you. Every time something changed, where they lived or a dynamic change in a relationship, it all felt like these characters were affected more than what you're simply watching. It truly felt real to me.

It's why I cannot fucking wait for That's What I'm Talking About.

Just with Birdman. It really adds nothing to the film, and actually makes it feel like the movie had to throw in stuff that needed to be thrown in just to continue the long take.

This is incorrect.

• Like 1

I really liked the long shots. I'm trying to find the right word for what it added to the film. It wasn't "tension" per se, because it didn't make it tense, but it maintained a certain level of energy for me that I appreciated.

It made me feel almost like I was watching a play, which was a pretty enjoyable touch for a movie that spends so much time dwelling on Film vs. Theater.

• Like 1

BUT WHO'S THE ANTAGONIST. WHERE IS THE TENSION. WHAT ARE THE STAKES.

Or something like that.

To me, Boyhood gave me a feeling that Dazed and Confused did, which I'm only citing because it's the first thing that pops into my head.. I felt like I was watching real characters that had more realism and more depth than 90% of movies. I felt like behind whatever is happening in the scene at the time, these characters were actually related and were really living together or had been friends for years or what-have-you. Every time something changed, where they lived or a dynamic change in a relationship, it all felt like these characters were affected more than what you're simply watching. It truly felt real to me.

It's why I cannot fucking wait for That's What I'm Talking About.

If you like this kind of thing, you should totally give some British cinema a try. Mike Leigh, Ken Loach, Terrence Davies, Andrea Arnold and a few others are so good at this. Or more of The Dardenne Brothers stuff.

I really liked the long shots. I'm trying to find the right word for what it added to the film. It wasn't "tension" per se, because it didn't make it tense, but it maintained a certain level of energy for me that I appreciated.

It made me feel almost like I was watching a play, which was a pretty enjoyable touch for a movie that spends so much time dwelling on Film vs. Theater.

And that's a primary reasoning why I think it adds to the film. Because just as Riggan was testing himself with the play, so was Keaton and the rest of the actors having to do all their lines in one take. It gives you the same sense of do or die nature that the actors in the film are experiencing.

• Like 3

I still think that Boyhood was boring. It's a generic coming of age movie with a carefully selected soundtrack fueled by a magnificent filming method. I get the character advancement is nice and it could be seen as beautiful but it's still dull.

I wasn't entertained in the slightest, there's no hook. Comes down to personal taste but I think it gets no love at all if it wasn't for the filming over 12 years thing.

Not really sure I understand the outrage on social media about the lack of diversity amongst the 4 main individual acting awards. Some are accusing the Academy of doing this intentionally because 12 Years a Slave walked away with basically everything last year.

I mean I'm very surprised by Oyelowo not being nominated, but the Best Actor category was absolutely stacked this year.

The lack of diversity is more indicative of a need for more quality minority projects if anything. I hate how it's basically "Selma didn't get enough nominations so you're racist." Those angry are focusing on one film getting snubbed in a tight field when their focus should be on getting more quality minority projects made. That falls on the industry itself, not an awards show. The Academy is usually pretty good when it comes to recognizing minorities, at least I'm recent years. Blaming the Academy voters for voting for who they want makes it seem like you want some kind of Affirmative Action token slot instead of getting in on merit. I mean outside the cast of Selma, who else could the Academy have given a nod to for the sake of diversity? Kevin Hart for Ride Along? :P The problem is that tit was the one prestige minority film this year, and it just happened to snubbed, which is obviously going to generate more controversy, although I think Nightcrawler and Lego Movie have more legitimate complaints.