Help me creat a great "Anti Suicide" Playlist

Herr Matzat

This is a rather serious topic for me and i would prefer the obvious "Matzat trolling" some people like to do to stay outside. Thank you.

Something strange happened to me last night. I talked to one of the girls i dated over the curse of the last year and she showed clear signs of being suicidal. (staing stuff like "I am wothless", "I am nothing", "You deserve better" and even outright stating i will probably kill myself soon")

Obviously i talked to frinds about the whole deal and how to handle it. I put this right here because i am going old school picking out some songs that can accompany her and help out when she is letting no one else in and being in full workaholic mode.

I am super big on music, so when i was very down 15-17 years ago music was something that kept me on track. So it´s one of my natural reflexes to look for Songs.

Right now i got:

Everybody Hurts - R.E.M.

It´s very obvious, and an all-time great

I Won´t back down - Eddie Vedder / Pearl Jam Cover

I love the Song, but i love the slower and more intense version by Vedder even better. It´s one of my favourite Songs, i can see other people disagreeing but it´s one that keept me going when times were hard.

Fox in the Snow - Bell & Sebastian

Love the Band, the girl loves Foxes... so some easier way to connect?

Love of an Orchestra - Noha and the Whale

I don´t want it to be all sad. This is such a cool up beat song, how can you not smile when listening to it?

I looked at a few other Songs, but they need to feel right.

"Someone Great" by LCD Soundsystem; (Love the Video, but in context right now it dos not feel right)

"Magicians Assistant" by Pip (it seems a bit to harsh, besides i am not her boyfrind and i don´t know her familey so i am not to big of a fan of the direct statements made)

"Codex" by Radiohead - Love the Song, love the Band, but in context i would rather kill myself after hearing this than the other way around.

There is something by The Streets aswell, i got the Name. But i don´t know if that fits the Personal Style of the person in question. Good song still i bet. Will listen to it later on.

So guys n galls, sugest me your Songs. They don´t need to be about "your not alone" or anything like that, Songs that make you happy are cool aswell.

Edited by Herr Matzat
  • Like 1

"Hold On" by Good Charlotte is a good track for this. It's quite a raw song that whilst anti-suicide, also gets the adrenaline pumping, it's like trying to make a rebellion to suicide essentially.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen is great because it starts off slow and build you up, again into the adrenaline pumping feeling, and unless you're at your absolute lowest, it's pretty damned hard not to get into Bohemian Rhapsody.

"A Better Son/Daughter" by Kilo Riley is a good song, not just because it also pumps up, but because it's a very empathetic song. It's the kind of song that someone who is feeling worthless will identify with, and whilst not totally upbeat, it's the kind of song that helps you work through what you're feeling.

"Lithium" by Nirvana, again, another quiet but then up tempo song, and another good empathetic one.

I could go on easily if I could access my playlist at the moment, but these four are ones that immediately jumped to my mind.

• Like 1

I actualy have a hard time listening to Nirvana at all. It´pulls me down, but largely due to the connection to the time i original listend to it (same goes for NIN. Radiohead i discovered at a different time and have absolutly no "down" Problems with)

Bohamian Rapsodie might be a golden idea. Need to check the lyrics out again before i put it on. But the basic structure is great, your right!

Smile by Pearl Jam would be cool for a general Playlist on the Web i think. Don´t know about the "i miss you already" line in the person context.

Down by Pearl Jam would be Great.

Down. Fall by the wayside no getting out.
Down. Cry me a river dried up and dammed.
The names can be changed but the place is still the same.
I am loaded. Told that all's for naught. Holds me down.

Rise. Life is in motion. I'm stuck in line.
Rise. You can't be neutral on a moving train.
One day the symptoms fade. Think I'll throw these pills away.
And if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.

Won't let the light escape from me.
Won't let the darkness swallow me.

So long.

Mighty Oaks - Just one Day

Great up beat song about the world we live in and how amazing it is if you go see. Could work out.

Edited by Herr Matzat
  • Like 1

Not trolling, but if your friend is actually suicidal, a playlist of songs isn't what she needs.

Obviously i talked to frinds about the whole deal and how to handle it. I put this right here because i am going old school picking out some songs that can accompany her and help out when she is letting no one else in and being in full workaholic mode.

I am super big on music, so when i was very down 15-17 years ago music was something that kept me on track. So it´s one of my natural reflexes to look for Songs.

Ben Howard - Keep your Head Up.

Travis - Why dos it always rain on me (?)

The Nirvana thing is something i thought about a lot. If you actually search the web or Spotify these play lists contain a ton of songs that are rather dark. I get the "getting it" part though, i just think shes not the type for hard music anyway. More the classical girl.

Edited by Herr Matzat

Maybe you should direct her towards a hotline or mental health services in the region where you live? I understand that music helped you through a difficult time in your life, but you aren't a mental health professional. You should be encouraging her to see a mental health professional, not seeking out a playlist of songs about depression and suicide for her.

• Like 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5AKhB0ZBxM

Also..Everybody Hurts? I cant think of a song that makes me want to kill myself more then that

• Like 3

If I was suicidal, had hinted as such to a friend and they turned around and gave me a mix tape with 'Everybody Hurts' I'd assume they were either mocking me or hoping I killed myself or suggesting songs for my funeral.

Music is incredibly personal, it also impacts most people on an emotional level. I understand you want her to know you're thinking of her, but music really isn't the way I'd do it. I understand the sentiment but I'd be really careful.

If you really want advice and to help your friend you're best off calling these people on 0800/1110111 or 0800/1110222, giving them the details and asking them for advice on how you can help your friend. That's by far the best thing you can do.

• Like 4

I tried thinking of some but I realized the songs I can think of about suicide aren't explicitly anti-suicide without the videos. Though I did manage to think of one song you might be able to use even if it doesn't directly deal with the issue.

Apart from what Quom already suggested I'd try to give other people that are close to her (other friends or family) a heads-up about the situation if you haven't already done so and if they don't already know about it.

As far as music goes some Euro Power Metal always picks me up when I'm in a bad mood. Stuff like "Spirit Never Die" and "Keeps Me Burning", by Masterplan, "Carry On" by Angra, Heaven Can Wait" by Gamma Ray, "Power" or "Just A Little Sign" by Helloween, "Riding The Eagle" or "Under The Radar" by Primal Fear, "Riding The Storm" by Running Wild, "Eagleheart", "Hunting High And Low" or "Black Diamond" by Stratovarius, "HammerFall", "The Dragon Lies Bleeding", "Heading The Call" or "Hector's Hymn" by HammerFall, "My Queen Of Winter" or Dawn Of Solace" by Cain's Offering, "Down To The Devil", "We Don't Need A Hero", "Return To The Tribe", or "All The Clowns" by Edguy, "Lost In Space", "Wastelands", "Reach Out For The Light", or "Where Clock Hands Freeze" by Avantasia, "Blank File" or "San Sebastian" by Sonata Arctica. That kind of stuff. Although I realize it is incredibly cheesy and not everyone's cup of coffee. It helps me though.

• Like 2

Apart from what Quom already suggested I'd try to give other people that are close to her (other friends or family) a heads-up about the situation if you haven't already done so and if they don't already know about it.

As far as music goes some Euro Power Metal always picks me up when I'm in a bad mood. Stuff like "Spirit Never Die" and "Keeps Me Burning", by Masterplan, "Carry On" by Angra, Heaven Can Wait" by Gamma Ray, "Power" or "Just A Little Sign" by Helloween, "Riding The Eagle" or "Under The Radar" by Primal Fear, "Riding The Storm" by Running Wild, "Eagleheart", "Hunting High And Low" or "Black Diamond" by Stratovarius, "HammerFall", "The Dragon Lies Bleeding", "Heading The Call" or "Hector's Hymn" by HammerFall, "My Queen Of Winter" or Dawn Of Solace" by Cain's Offering, "Down To The Devil", "We Don't Need A Hero", "Return To The Tribe", or "All The Clowns" by Edguy, "Lost In Space", "Wastelands", "Reach Out For The Light", or "Where Clock Hands Freeze" by Avantasia, "Blank File" or "San Sebastian" by Sonata Arctica. That kind of stuff. Although I realize it is incredibly cheesy and not everyone's cup of coffee. It helps me though.

YES!

I'd also throw in stuff like Stand Up and Fight by Turisas.

This cuz how does it not make you want to smile and skank along?

• Like 1