2015 NFL Off Season Thread

Dan

It's a pretty rough situation for him to have been in, but surely there should be some safeguard in place so guys can't say this to then give them a free choice of who they want to play for. I don't think exactly this happened with him, but I don't know why there isn't a rule preventing it.

Edited by damdevil

Yeah there are limits to how much you can pay an undrafted free agent. Supplemental is for people who didn't enter the draft or couldn't enter the draft. Collins entered and no one picked him, then the league said he couldn't enter again.

We had fans screaming to draft him with the 2nd or 3rd rounder. I mean, it would have been bad to waste a pick, but a team with multiple 6th or 7th rounders? Why the hell not?

I understand that if he was drafted and sat out he could re-enter the draft, but don't understand why the NFL wouldn't allow him to be in the supplemental draft. In fact, how is the supplemental draft decided? Isn't it something to do with players that may have been academically ineligible?

Edit - Never mind, I'm ignorant. The happy pills are frying me up tonight.

We had fans screaming to draft him with the 2nd or 3rd rounder. I mean, it would have been bad to waste a pick, but a team with multiple 6th or 7th rounders? Why the hell not?

See Rice, Ray

PR suicide until he was completely exonerated. People were flipping shit a couple days ago when teams were talking to him since he hadn't been completely cleared.

It's just another piece on the pile of the ineptly run National Football League. The only way they could have avoided this situation would be to have contingency plans in place for highly-rated draft picks, they sure seem to know who they are since they invite them all to the draft.

Edited by damdevil

At no point do I recall them saying he was a suspect, it was always "wanted for questioning, not considered a suspect" And that theory doesn't hold much water when a team didn't hesitate to draft Frank Clark.

And for whatever reason, teams chose not to draft Collins, so he went through the process all undrafted players went through. I'm surprised the Cowboys didn't spend a 7th rounder on him. Doesn't matter if you're projected to be a first rounder or a seventh rounder, if you're eligible and declared and you don't get drafted, you can sign as an undrafted free agent. Blame the teams that didn't draft him.

The teams were told not to draft him because he wouldn't sign with them first and foremost. When that happens the NFL should step in to prevent an open season after the draft. That's all, it's a disadvantage to Collins who has to make less money since the draft coincided with a serious personal issue and a disadvantage to the teams who had planned on making a run at him in the draft who were suddenly told not to. I don't know how you make up the money issue (though again, he gets an extension sooner and can be a lot richer than the rest of the 2015 class) but the other issue should have been an easy, "if you don't want your guy drafted just know he can't enter the free agent pool, he goes to (supplemental or 2016) instead." But they just sat on their hands instead treating this like any other guy who went undrafted with the same circumstances as anyone else, when in reality it was far from it.

It's just something that I'm baffled they don't have a contingency plan for already, when an agent warns teams against drafting his client.

As much as I hate to say it, Maxx is 100% right. Police said the entire time that he wasn't a suspect.

He'd have been a first round pick if it wasn't for terrible timing. I just wish the Eagles would've taken a 7th round flyer on him or gotten to sign him, because our line is getting old fast, with not much to replace Peters or Mathis once their gone.

If a team drafted him couldn't he have then just entered the next draft? I thought they denied him re-entry because he became a free agent once he went undrafted and was thus ineligible. I don't know if that's true, though.

Dante Fowler's NFL journey with the Jaguars is off to a rough start. The first-round pick was carted off the field Friday during Jacksonville's first rookie minicamp after tumbling to the ground during 11-on-11 drills, per multiple reports. The No. 3 overall pick was seen holding his left knee as trainers descended.

Lol Jaguars

• Like 1

Dante Fowler's NFL journey with the Jaguars is off to a rough start. The first-round pick was carted off the field Friday during Jacksonville's first rookie minicamp after tumbling to the ground during 11-on-11 drills, per multiple reports. The No. 3 overall pick was seen holding his left knee as trainers descended.

Lol Jaguars
Now I can't get the image of the trainers parachuting in out of my head.
  • Like 1