2015 College Football Thread

It also irks me that the small school bias still exists even within P5 conferences.  Baylor and TCU aren't good enough to make it in because they don't have a conference title game, but of course when its Oklahoma in that situation there's no problem finding a spot for them.  I know there are some different circumstances between the two, but it still looks terrible.

Edited by Maxx

Last year was a legitimate cop-out and Ohio State bailed them out by actually winning the title. This year it's a little more clear barring both Bama and Clemson losing, in which case you wind up with UNC feeling snubbed. 

I was half-joking in regards to the Big 12 when I said the CFP would be a lot kinder to Oklahoma with a bad loss against Texas than they were to TCU/Baylor last year. 1-loss Bama is the least deserving of a top 4 spot right now, look at who they beat and lost to. Oklahoma at least went through Baylor, TCU, and Ok St unscathed making that loss not look as bad. People still think this is the SEC of 5 years ago when it's clearly not. 

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

It also irks me that the small school bias still exists even within P5 conferences.  Baylor and TCU aren't good enough to make it in because they don't have a conference title game, but of course when its Oklahoma in that situation there's no problem finding a spot for them.  I know there are some different circumstances between the two, but it still looks terrible.

Yuuuuuuup!  I really, really hate the trains of thought that only exist in D1 college football.  

3 hours ago, damshow said:

Last year was a legitimate cop-out and Ohio State bailed them out by actually winning the title. This year it's a little more clear barring both Bama and Clemson losing, in which case you wind up with UNC feeling snubbed. 

I was half-joking in regards to the Big 12 when I said the CFP would be a lot kinder to Oklahoma with a bad loss against Texas than they were to TCU/Baylor last year. 1-loss Bama is the least deserving of a top 4 spot right now, look at who they beat and lost to. Oklahoma at least went through Baylor, TCU, and Ok St unscathed making that loss not look as bad. People still think this is the SEC of 5 years ago when it's clearly not. 

Ohio State winning it is the only reason a pitchfork mob didn't walk from Texas to their front door.  While I'll argue Bama's "who'd they really beat" all day long, I also admit that ... well ... there aren't more than 4 teams I'd say are flat out better than they are.  

Would have liked to see some craziness, but at least this way we're guaranteed Ohio State won't be getting in.  Oklahoma has to be ranked 4th now, right?  Everyone else won a conference title game.  I want a Clemon/Michigan State final.

Amen that about Ohio State. They were the most overrated, overranked team this season. Had a creampuff schedule compared to a lot of other teams and barely beat one team they should have walked all over. (Northern Illinois)

Right now, I just want a `no Alabama' final. 

GO COUGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankfully there's no way ... no way that they can change WHO is in the top four now.  However, I'm a bit worried about how they'll rank them.  I can absolutely see them giving Bama the top spot to talk on Michigan State and give us Clemson/OK as the 2/3 game.  

Clemson(1) VS Oklahoma (4) in the Orange Bowl

Alabama (2) VS Michigan St (3) in the Cotton Bowl

..... Clemson has a hell of a go in order to win the National Title.  All three of these teams play the exact type of ball that gives them the shits.  I WANTClemson to win, but am not seeing how they get it done.

I don't see any way that Michigan State wins it.  IN ORDER for me -> OK/BAMA/CLEMSON/MSTATE  .... I've got OK up first only because they have the best match up to open with in terms of the "if you had to pick one, who'd you want to play first" scenario.  Clemson is a team they've played before (dynamic offensive players, a decent enough defense) three times already and beat (Baylor/TCU/OkSt).

Bowl match ups!!!!!!!!!!

Your reward for being awesome coach Herman?  FLORIDA STATE IN THE PEACH BOWL !!!!!!!  Seriously? Thanks bowl guys, I have to root against FSU to root for him?  Assholes.

BYU vs UTAH in Vegas?  yes please

Normally UCLA vs NEB would have me excited but ... uh ... this ain't really a match up that should have happened (thanks for screwing over the MWC yet again bowl season)

PITT vs NAVY could be the sleeper bowl

If people get healthy again UNC vs BAYLOR could be loads of fun

I honestly don't know what to make of TECH vs LSU

NORTHWESTERN vs TENNESSEE .... how is this a July 1 bowl?

ND vs OHST .... can I pick "stadium implodes" ?

Rose Bowl of Stanford VS Iowa?  HELL YES .... old school black and blue football.

Penn St VS Georgia in the 'totally big programs that aren't' bowl

I get Oregon VS TCU down here in San Antonio ... should be a fun day at the Riverwalk.

2 hours ago, HailtotheTortureRack said:

I don't see any way that Michigan State wins it.  IN ORDER for me -> OK/BAMA/CLEMSON/MSTATE  .... I've got OK up first only because they have the best match up to open with in terms of the "if you had to pick one, who'd you want to play first" scenario.  Clemson is a team they've played before (dynamic offensive players, a decent enough defense) three times already and beat (Baylor/TCU/OkSt).

Bowl match ups!!!!!!!!!!

Your reward for being awesome coach Herman?  FLORIDA STATE IN THE PEACH BOWL !!!!!!!  Seriously? Thanks bowl guys, I have to root against FSU to root for him?  Assholes.

BYU vs UTAH in Vegas?  yes please

Normally UCLA vs NEB would have me excited but ... uh ... this ain't really a match up that should have happened (thanks for screwing over the MWC yet again bowl season)

PITT vs NAVY could be the sleeper bowl

If people get healthy again UNC vs BAYLOR could be loads of fun

I honestly don't know what to make of TECH vs LSU

NORTHWESTERN vs TENNESSEE .... how is this a July 1 bowl?

ND vs OHST .... can I pick "stadium implodes" ?

Rose Bowl of Stanford VS Iowa?  HELL YES .... old school black and blue football.

Penn St VS Georgia in the 'totally big programs that aren't' bowl

I get Oregon VS TCU down here in San Antonio ... should be a fun day at the Riverwalk.

I'm onboard for the ND vs. OHST stadium implosion. Hate both teams.

And am in complete agreement about UCLA vs. NEB. Horrible matchup.

I'm torn over PENN STATE vs. GEORGIA. I still hate Penn State's fans over the Joe Paterno situation, but I'm not happy with Georgia for firing Mark Richt. 

• Like 1

I was really hoping Cal would wind up in the Heart of Dallas bowl so I could go watch Goff play.  Not sure I want to shell out $60 for Washington/Southern Miss.

Would surprise me if that game is anywhere near a sell out. if you can get decent tickets for $45 or below a pop, go for it and have fun. 

I'm not sure who I'm going to be for in that particular matchup, though. 

Steve Sarkisian is suing USC for wrongful termination, claiming breach of contract, invasion of privacy and disability discrimination. All because they fired him instead of letting him seek treatment for his alcoholism. Apparently this is all because he was fired by e-mail while heading to a rehab facility.

Now, I do believe that Pat Haden is a douchebag, and I feel sorry for Sarkisian because of his alcoholism and divorce, but I hope he loses the lawsuit. He showed up to work drunk and tried to make excuses. He claims his mixed alcohol and medication. So what? It even warns you on the prescription bottles not to do that. His lawyer claims that California recognizes alcoholism as a disability, but that shouldn't be an excuse. Seems to me that Sarkisian refuses to take responsibility for his own actions. If he showed up at a regular 9 to 5 job drunk he'd probably be fired. So I don't see why doing it as a college football coach should be any different. And I hope no team - college or otherwise - gives him a job any time soon unless he's proven to be clean and sober.

I hope he gets his act together and keeps it that way, but his lawsuit is bullshit. USC can always claim they fired him for reasons caused by his alcoholism, not because he's an alcoholic. (Such as he was too impaired to do his job, showed up late for work, etc.) 

That's a very, very fine line to walk. 

Sark IS taking responsibility for his actions, if not, he'd not been on his way to rehab when he got the email.  I am certainly not making excuses for the man ... I've just been VERY close to alcoholism and well ... it absolutely is a disease in every fashion of the definition and likely more so than some things that pop to mind when you think of disease.  Prescription drugs/OTC's have warning labels, yes ... but when you're afflicted with an addiction disease that's irrelevant.  His statement of that is merely pointing to how serious his disease had gotten. 

There's a huge difference in showing up to work drunk off your ass, and having the disease of alcoholism ... it's not like USC (and everyone else) didn't know there was an issue with this.  They hired him knowing of his issue and terminated him based on it rather than allowing him to try and overcome the disease ... which you can't do.  It isn't because he's a college football coach.  It's because he has a disease.