2015 College Football Thread

So Baylor and Art Briles could be in some serious shit.

Long story short is Sam Ukwuachu, a former Boise State player, that was kicked off the Boise team and out of school for sexual assault, transferred to Baylor. Prior to his transfter, then Boise head coach Chris Petersen called Art Briles to let him know about the situation. Baylor accepted his transfer and allowed him to join the team. And now he's being charged with rape of a girl at Baylor.

The kickers here are that 1) Art Briles claimed Petersen never told him about this, which is why he was allowed to play at Baylor and 2) The University of Baylor says they conducted their own investigation, found nothing to be in the wrong, and allowed him to stay on the team, but the state of Texas is currently charging Ukwuachu, so there must be some grounds.

What a crappy situation, and if it comes out that Briles knew about the issues, and then the Baylor administration swept the rape under the rug, there should be a huge lay-off for all those involved.

Briles looks really bad here, and Baylor as a whole does.  We saw this with Winston in FSU though he wasn't a transfer.  The university will sweep whatever it can under the rug.  But Briles outright denying what Petersen told him, for Petersen to then go "I told him exactly why he got kicked off the team", and then for Briles to go "oh so he told me there were reasons but nothing actually about violence towards women" looks so ugly.

@Meacon is putting off releasing his Pac-12 predictions because he fears my wrath.

Sorry for the delay. Steve Sarkisian got drunk and stole my laptop.

Pac-12

Da Norff

1. Stanford - Their defense isn't as experienced as it usually is, but the experience the Cardinal lack on the D, they make up for on the O. Kevin Hogan is a darn good quarterback and leader. They've got a very talented stable of running backs and they return four offensive lineman from last year's starting five.

2. Oregon - Mariota is gone and the Ducks take a step back. They're still fast and flashy, but I'm still not sure what to make of Mark Helfrich as a coach. He rode Marcus all the way to the title game last year. This year it's going to be a real test of whether he can continue to take Oregon to the playoffs on a yearly basis or if he's in over his head (I'm saying the latter). 

3. California - Jared Goff. Have you heard that name? If you haven't, you will. He's the new Kliff Kingsbury/Timmy Chang/Colt Brennan in that he's most likely going to throw for 5000 yards this season thanks to being in an offense that has never heard of the term "running back". His top two receivers return along with his tight end and three/fifths of his o-line. Cal gon' be good. Well, at least fun to watch.

4. Washington - I believe in Chris Petersen. I don't think they'll be anything great this year, most likely ending up around the .500 mark. But Petersen has this program on the upswing. Not sure it pays off this year though.

5. Oregon State - So the nicest man in college football, Mike Reilly, left a possible life-long job at Oregon State. He left behind nine starters on offense...but only TWO starters on defense. It's going to be a rough year for new head coach Gary Andersen.

6. Washington State - I like Mike Leach. I really hope the Cougars do better than this. But he has a new starter at quarterback, and despite him being able to plug in any Joe Schmo at Texas Tech to play QB, he's not had anywhere near the same results at Wazzu. Starter Luke Falk does have playing experience, but his wide receiving core not so much.

Darr South

1. Arizona State - Arizona State returns nine starters of a very athletic defense, and they should add wins via subtraction: Taylor Kelly was a great fit for this offense and was a very good college quarterback, but Mike Mercovici showed what he could do last year after Kelly got injured, and what he can do is very, very good. Sun Devils are the team to beat in what could be the best division in college football.

2. UCLA - Talent er'where. The whole offensive line returns. The receivers all return. The defense returns eight starters. If Josh Rosen were coming into this season as a sophomore or even a redshirt freshman, I'd probably pick them over ASU. But him being a true freshman means there is likely going to be some growing pains. I can see them maybe getting tripped up against a very high-powered BYU or maybe even the next week on the road to Arizona.

3. Arizona - The defending Pac-12 South Champions. Scooby Wright is one of the best defensive players in the country and he has an awesome nickname. I think the Wildcats finish third thanks to road games at Stanford, USC, and Arizona State to close out the season. They'll win maybe one of of those.

4. USC - Call it blind hatred, but I just can not get on board with this USC team. Yes, Cody Kessler is back. Yes their whole O-Line is back. Yes, they have speed at the skill positions. But how many times have you seen a Steve Sarkisian team win a conference? They'll field a very competitive team, but when it comes to crunch time, I think almost every coach in the Pac-12 can out manage him.

5. Utah - You know you're in a tough division when Utah is slated to finish fifth. I like Utah and I fully expect them to beat Michigan on September 3rd to open the season. Their quarterback, Travis Wilson, is like 6'8" and 235 pounds. They play at Oregon, USC, Washington, and Arizona. If they were still in the Mountain West, they'd likely go 10-2,11-1, or 12-0, but with this schedule, I'm thinking 8-4 is doable.

6. Colorado - Not to scare anyone, but the Buffs could be 3-1 after their first four games. Head Coach Mike MacIntyre has this team playing better than Colorado has in the last decade. Unfortunately for him, just like with Utah, his team plays in the Pac-12 South, and that means probably a three or four win season.

SEC! SEC! SEC!

The LEast

1. Georgia - In the battle of "Which SEC East team is going to be good enough", I have Georgia pulling away. Georgia has a very good defense and a Mister Nick Chubb to give the ball thirty times a game. If Tennessee or Missouri can figure out a way to stop the run game, they could challenge for the division title, but I don't think that happens.

2. Tennessee - I said the day that Tennessee hired Butch Jones that he would pull them up from whatever funk Derek Dooley flopped them in, and sure enough he's doing it. He's brought in two very good recruiting classes and now those boys are ready to play. I have no doubt that Jones has developed this program into a future SEC East contender.

3. Missouri - I guess. This was kind of a toss-up. I like Maty Mauk, but I want to see more out of him. Mainly consistency. If he can play at the level he's capable of, at a consistent level, then Mizzou could be the team that challenges Georgia in the East this year. But until I see the consistency, I'm just going to assume that it doesn't exist.

4. Florida - Florida's defense is goooooooooood. Will Muschamp's offense may not have scored a touchdown during his entire tenure at Florida, but I'll be damned if he didn't build a hell of a defense. Enter Jim McElwain. The offensive genius. He'll improve this offense, how can he not? But even a genius needs tools, and this offense doesn't have any of those yet. 

5. Kentucky - Stoops, Stoop-ba-doop. I think Kentucky is going to be in the "play better, but finish with a worse record" category. They went 5-7 last year. I can see them either finishing 5-7 or 4-8 this year, despite being a better team. 

6. South Carolina - I'm on the "The ol' Ball coach has lost it" train. It doesn't help that all the 5-star talent he had accumulated is now pretty much all gone. The Cocks play at Georgia, at Missou, at A&M, and at Tennessee. Hoooooooo. Long year for South Carolina ahead.

7. Vanderbilt - I don't even want to waste board space on this. The team is terrible. James Franklin did wonders making this program bowl-eligible. Derek Mason is a hell of a defensive coordinator, but I don't see him doing anything, including lasting another year, at Vandy. 

The Best is the West

1. Arkansas - Fuck Bama. Fuck Auburn. Fuck LSU. And Fuck the Mississippis. I've got the Hogs being the team to beat in the West. A big fuckin' O-Line, a dynamic duo of Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins, and a good amount of returning talent on the defense equals the Year of the Hog. I say Williams and Collins combine for over 4000 yards rushing. Watch.

2. Auburn - What do you get when you take one of the sharpest offensive minds in Gus Malzahn and one of the sharpest defensive minds in Will Muschamp and put them together? A damn fine team. Why do I have them at #2 in the division then? Because they go on the road to LSU, Arkansas, and A&M. That's why.

3. Alabama - I think this is the year where the Tide take a step back and maybe lose three games. They still have all the talent in the world, but they're younger and less experienced than they have been in the last five or six years. They'll still be very good and tough, but not quite as untouchable as we've grown accustomed to them being.

4. LSU - If Anthony Jennings could figure out how to quarterback, LSU could probably overtake Alabama in this predictions. But he's yet to show he does know how to quarterback. The rest of this team is very athletic, and the defense is as stingy as we've come to expect from the Bayou Bengals.

5. Mississippi State - Dak Prescott. I'm seriously only putting the Bulldogs ahead of Ole Miss and A&M because of Dak Prescott. We all know just what a super athlete at quarterback can do for a team. I'm not going to say they win the division, because the rest of the team isn't good enough, but Dak is good enough to carry this team to a .500 conference record on his own.

6. Ole Miss - Ole Miss has an awesome offensive line returning. However they need to replace their quarterback (which may not be a bad thing since Bo Wallace was either white-hot or ice-cold). They lack a gamebreaker, at least one that we've seen, at running back, but running behind this line should help them find someone that can at least keep defenses honest.

7. Texas A&M - A lot of athletes on both sides of the ball, but at the end of the day, I want Sumlin to prove he can coach his team to victory in a big game without Johnny Football. I'm not so sure he can do it. This is going to be either my "See, told you guys" prediction, or my "Jesus Christ, I wasn't even close to this one" prediction, I'm thinking.

My next preview will probably consist of a very short version of predictions for the "mid-majors". 

• Like 2

SEC West and Pac-12 South are the hardest divisions to call.  At least with the Pac-12 South we can be fairly confident Utah and Colorado will be the bottom 2 teams.  SEC West has 7 teams that can finish in all 7 places.  Well A&M probably no higher than 3rd, but everyone else can win it and I wouldn't be surprised at all.  I'm excited for the SEC East this year since Tennessee is going to be very tough.  Next year is their year though, and we might be entering an era where the East is as strong as the West with Georgia, Tennessee, and a presumably revitalized Florida.  Rough times ahead for the Gamecocks though, I think Spurrier might need to hang it up.  Coaching isn't what it once was and his recruiting has really been lacking.

But I'm going with Auburn to win the SEC and UCLA to win the Pac-12 in any case.

Edited by damshow

So since HTTK doesn't do his five-page college football preview anymore, I thought I'd throw up some predictions with a very little bit of my "insight".

So let's begin!

I've been trying to get them done and had only gotten about half way through them when this weekend came.  I'll put up what I've got (and blatantly just quote your and rearrange as necessary)

American Athletic Conference of America

Ze East

1. Cincinnati - Gunner Kiel is that good, especially not playing big schools every week.  The problem, is that Cincy ALWAYS gets held down for 2,3 games a year rather than taking that step up and putting people away.  I don't see any playmaker that will give them these escapes this year.  They're going to drop 1 or 2 that really hurts them.

UCF - Easily the best QB, RB, Coach trio in the league ... and they actually do have a functioning defense.  They suffer the same problem as Cincy though and will drop a game that will toss water on their whole season.

3. Temple - I think they're close ... but there's still plenty of building left to do.  If they split their first two games (Penn ST, Cincy) they'll be all right.

4. East Carolina - Bad enough that Carden is gone, but they also lost Hardy (top WR) as well.  No way they're as horrible as the two below them though.

5. USF - Thank you UConn.

6. UConn - There's just no reason to think that 2-10 isn't the most likely outcome again.

Da West

1. Houston - Tom Herman is their new head coach. That's really all I need to say.  Bias aside (he was the guy that recruited me to TLU) this man is phenomenal at everything he does.  He can recruit, he's stupid smart, and he's the type of guy that kids want to play for (even the fucktards).  He also has that shiny new stadium in Houston and the fact that the University actually wants to act like they have the football history they do, to help him land new and motivate the already on board players.  The transition to his style won't be all that difficult given the systems that these kids have played under already.  Herman is smart/tricky enough to steal a game or two and that'll land him on top (as long has one side of the ball doesn't just shit the bed completely, causing him to start from scratch).

2. Navy - GO ARMY BEAT NAVY. The MidShitmen are here because they are consistently a good team.  They don't beat themselves and that alone is worth 3 games in this conference.  That said, there's nothing too special too them (yes yes, MR QB) and their own style of play will lose them a game or two.  They also play Houston AND Memphis on the road. 

3. Memphis - Feel good is over.  You play Cincy ... and then the first three weeks of NOV you get Temple Navy and Houston, two of which are on the road.  Sorry, it was fun last year but you lose too much and have too much to ask from your schedule.  You won't suck, but there's not another fairy tale to be written.

4. Tulsa - Too much in the cupboard of other schools and too much to change for one year to see much of a move upward.  Should have enough talent to be a competitive squad and if any team is going to make a THUR night horror show for a conference hopeful, you're probably looking at the Golden Hurricane. 

5. SMU - Simply put, they aren't Tulane .... but that's about it.

6. Tulane - When you hope to be better than SMU, that sums everything up.

Atlantic Coastal Conference of the Atlantic

Ze Atlantic

1. Florida State - Outside of the starting QB ... this IS Florida State.  The last time we had a good run of QBs end and had to toss the ball to an athletic kid, we got Charlie Ward.  I can live with that.  Probably won't have to though because that Everett Golson guy has transferred from ND.  The Noles could easily be better than the team that won the Title two years ago.  People want to focus on the QB question ... but for me, the true loss was actually Nick O'Leary, holy shit was he glorious.

2. Clemson -

North Carolina State -

Jacoby Brissett or DeShaun Watson .... the team that has bee on the brink for years now, or the team looking to break through?  Clemson has been on the cups of the elite for what seems like forever while NCState seems to have brushes with taking the next step going all the way back to that night in Austin when the blocked 100 kicks/punts and walked out with a win.  The problem is that the schedule doesn't do favors for either of them and could render their "shots" at claiming their sesons, moot.  Clemson opens conference @ Louisville in week 3 and then promptly plays ND and GT ... they also play @ NCSt the week before FSU.  The Wolfpack got hosed ... 4 of 5 games will be on the road before playing Clemson, and then after Clemson they play two more on the road including FSU.  WTF?  So yeah, the schedules could wipe them both out .. Either way, between the two it's a toss up to me.

4. Boston College - QB is a problem but they've got a strong and steady RB to ease the burden.  Always well coached and always a good team, they're just going to middle their way to exactly that. 

5. Louisville - To much lost and too much being asked too soon of the new kids.  Their first 6 games?  Yeah that'd be Auburn, Houston, Clemson, and Samford at home before road trips to NCSt and FSU.  They could be done by the middle of October.  I think they've solidified enough though that they should be able to be a solid club.

6. Wake Forest - They  have a QB

7. Syracuse - These guys don't

Da Coastal

1. Georgia Tech - It's all set up ... the schedule, the returning players, the coach ... all of it.   

2. North Carolina - A coaching change, slew of injuries, and slew of suspensions has delayed NC's arrival for 5 years now. It LOOKS to finally all be there, but this team hasn't had that since they've had the expectation to.  I WANT to anoint them and I WANT to move them into the Clemson spot of the ACC .... but until they do it, I can't.  This team could easily Baylor it's way into the conversation of things bigger than the ACC ... but they've got to take that first step, first.

3. Pittsburgh - As Meacon said: Panthers have perhaps two of the best offensive weapons you've not heard of: running back James Connor, who ran for almost 1800 yards last year, and receiver Tyler Boyd, who almost caught 1300 yards, both return. Oh and they won the lottery when they were able to hire Pat Narduzzi as their head coach in place of Paul Chryst.  On top of that they return their QB, Mr Voytik is a pretty damned good QB AND is a dual threat type (2nd leading rusher) but doesn't have to do that to be effective.  GT and NC have better players with their depth, but Pitt can play with anyone not named FSU/Clemson in terms of athletes at the big 3 spots.  They're a darkhorse this season and only have to beat one of NC or GT to make waves.

4. Virginia Tech - Weird picking them this low but I can't justify them higher ... Beamer has managed to get things done despite no longer being the hotshot school on the rise.  It's also the reason he never reached higher than when the older Vick was running around.  Victim of his own success and now he has to settle for just being a really good football team year in and year out. 

5. Virginia - They have a potential wildcard in QB Connor Brewer ... who?  yeah the elite 11 kid that won 3 state titles (ARZ) went to Texas and RS before transferring to Arizona and sitting out a year to learn/adjust etc (only to see that Anu Soloman guy erupt) before verbally committing to Northern Arizona and then backing out and going to UVA because an opportunity opened up.  PHEW ... London has signed quality but quiet groups and if he's going to have that translate it will be this year.

6. Miami - They're growing and getting better.  They're not the U though and it just seems that the heart and soul of what made this program simply isn't there anymore.  Dorsett is gone too and the schedule is ... not kind.  NEB, @ Cincy, @ FSU, VT, CLEM is the mid-sep to mid-oct stretch .. then the last 3 games are @ GT, NC, @ Pitt.

7. Duke - No longer a walk over, but the classes that brought back the glory are gone.  They'll play hard, play tough, and piss someone off ... but outside of one spot up, they're back to being on bottom despite not being a joke.

Big-Ten Conference

Ze East

1. Ohio State - Meh .... but really, they're as sure of a pick as you'll find.  Thanks Big10~!

2. Michigan State - Keeping their QB is what is giving them the edge over Michigan for me. 

3. Michigan - Tricky road games and having to find a few pieces on top of getting a new coach (don't care what his name is) equals not getting it all together on day 1. 

4. Penn State - Remember when OJ Mcduffie was around ... or that Arrington guy?  Yeah that was a long time ago.  If something other than the name of the school could draw kids here, that'd be great.

5. Indiana - this is my big10 team to oops a nice win pick

6. Rutgers

Maryland

Meh ... Rutgers should be better than they are but whatever.  I'm not even sure Maryland is good enough to make the soup bowl.

Da West

1. Wisconsin - They have the better team .... not the better athletes.  They may lose to Nebraska but they'll beat everyone else they should.

2. Nebraska - They have the better athletes .... but not the better team.  They may beat Wisconsin but will likely shit the bed once or twice against someone they shouldn't.

3. Minnesota - I expect the same as last year and don't see why they can't have a repeat performance. 

4. Northwestern - They really should change their colors to black and blue.  They'll slug out 7 wins.

5. Iowa - It's time to move on.  He got close but .... he's further away from the ceiling at this point.  They need to regroup and go at it again.  7-5/8-4 is great every year ... if you're Purdue.

6. Illinois - They have a ton of returning starters, but none of those players are all that great. Experience can only take you so far, when you're out-matched at literally every position. It's a shame, but I think Tim Beckman's time to turn this program around is just about out.

7. Purdue - Is UConn on the schedule?

Big-12 Conference

1. TCU - Trevone Boykin ... AND they play defense, aggressively. 

2. Oklahoma - WHAAAAT?  yeah, I see them being quietly good this year and then getting thumped in a bowl game.

3. Baylor - They'll split the toughest games in the conference but look less likely to crap out against a shit team than the others.

4. West Virginia  - They might be the most complete team honestly.  They're also due for a good (as in GOOD) season.  Dangerous and while they'll look like absolute ass at least one week this year .. they're beating at least one of if not two of the teams above them on this list.

5. Texas

OK ST

Take your pick here really.  I'm not sold on OKST's qb like some other people but what has me worried even more is their run game.  When they were moving up and picking people off they were churning the field over and over and over.  Texas will be a quality team and Strong is building it right.  It's just not there ... yet. 

7. Kansas State - It is really hard to put them here and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them up as many as 3 spots ... but while Snyder is a master at keeping the engine going, he doesn't do well with losing superstars.  He lost two of them.

8. Texas Tech - Fuck Tech ... but even I can't pick them lower than this.

9. Kansas - That Avery kid is pretty decent at RB ... and they were better than ISU last year

10. Iowa State - they weren't better than Kansas last year and there's no reason to believe that's changed.

Da Norff

1. Stanford - Good strong football.  That's all you need.

2. Oregon - I want to pick them lower but don't have enough confidence in anyone to overtake the fact that the Ducks have a 5-11 230 RB (that had 1300yds) to ease the burden of Mariota not being a secondary running threat.  They'll be really good but I could absolutely see them losing 3.

3. California - They're here but not because of what Meacon told you ;) .... they DO have a running back.  A 1000yd rusher as a matter of fact (with 210 carries no less).  LASCO will be the difference as Goff does his best impersonation of a TT QB.  LOADS of talent on offense but they'll suffer from the TT defense syndrome too.

4. Washington - Peterson is great ... just needs the athletes to not only come, but get experience on the field.  I wouldn't be surprised if he ruined Stanford or Oregon's day ... but 8 wins is tops.

5. Wazzu - They can play offense

6. Beaver State - and they can't play defense

Darr South

1. USC - Yeah Sark hasn't wont a conference title ... but uh, his only HC job was at Washington and his work there got him this job.  Now he's got the talent everywhere to go along with his talent.  USC actually looks like USC again.

2. UCLA - woe be the true freshman QB .... it's fact, they lose you at least one and usually two.  I don't think the margin of error is that wide this season.

3. Arizona State - Until they get over the hump I'm not sold.  I want to jump on them every season but instead they end up the Clemson of the West. 

Utah - Everyone is back from the team that beat Stanford, USC and UCLA last year. 

5. Arizona - Yeah ... tough, but I watched them here in San Antonio last year and that game was much more telling to me than the roll they got on.  Luck won't be as kind to them this season.

6. Colorado - At least nobody will be laughing this year.

SEC! SEC! SEC!

The LEast

1. Georgia - On paper it should be the dogs .... that's been a curse to them all too often though.

Missouri - They've proven they can compete with anyone ... both with and without all of their best players.  They have a QB and the SEC teams still haven't quite figured out how to play in the mid-west on Saturday nights. 

3. Tennessee - Rocky top has reason to smile again but the song hasn't changed enough yet to make me pick them higher.  It's coming, and it might explode this year but I don't think just yet.

4. Florida - Weird year I think.  A couple of head scratchers and a couple of see, lookey there games too.

5. US Gamecocks - Still enough talent to be drug to the bottom.

6. KentuckEH .... eh, better but still trying to catch up. 

7. Vanderbilt - :( it was so nice seeing them compete.  But with Duke not being a laughing stock Vandy can't not be.

The Best is the West

1. LSU - a young 'Bama team puts this as LSU's to lose.  They've done it with a suspect QB before.   

2. Alabama - Young and reloading (they don't rebuild at this point) ... losing 2 is a down year now, but 2 losses could allow someone to sneak through.  I think it happens this year. 

3.Texas A&M - Sumlin showed he can coach the big game when the season had already turned a bit sour last year but they took down #3 Auburn in November.  They do have talent all over the place and will likely reap the benefits of all those underclassmen taking their lumps the last two years.  It's also about what the other teams lost as much as it is about what the Aggies have.   

4. Mississippi State - Dak Prescott. He's a bulldog and not a tiger/war eagle, rebel, or hog ... so here you are. 

5. Auburn - You got two great coaches ... but lost Marshall and Payne.  They'll be really good again really quickly, but this year is going to be regrouping. 

6. Ole Miss - You need superstars to maintain ... they don't.

7. Arkansas - Only 1/2 of the Okoye/Word combo will play this season. 

• Like 2

As far as Meacon's SEC assessment goes, I've got the same order for the East, but....Arkansas leading the West? Nope. I've got Auburn #1, Alabama #2 and Arkansas a razor-thin line behind at #3.

Unless Florida somehow manages to surprise everyone, I'll be cheering for whoever wins the East to win the conference championship....unless its Alabama-Florida, in which case I'll be busy vomiting. (I dislike but respect the Gators, but I fucking hate the Tide. There is absolutely no scenario that would have me pulling for Bama.)

• Like 1