Sign in to follow this  
damsher hatfield

2015 College Football Thread

I keep going back and forth about Jones.  This is just year 3 of his tenure, and he took over after Dooley drove the program into the ground.  I guess for a lot of people this was supposed to be the year they competed for the SEC East crown, but he got them back into a bowl last year and they're going to finish with a similar record this year.  Seems too early to give up on him, Tennessee wasn't a quick rebuilding project.

The defense stinking when it comes to the run is the only reason I'm not absolutely calling for him to go. But the defense needs some serious retooling in the offseason. And Jones needs to stop being so conservative. There are a few times he's opted to either go for a field goal or punt when he should have taken the risk and gone for it. Some fans have even argued that the Voiunteers might have won the Florida game if he had taken a risk or two. 

Honestly, if the athletic director back then had fired Fulmer earlier and made David Cutcliffe the head coach, we'd never have had all these problems. Would love it if they could sign him away from Duke if things with Jones don't eventually work out, but don't see it happening. 

*edit, because I forgot to add* If the Vois lose to Vanderbilt, I *will* be calling for his head.

Edited by GhostMachine

12 hours ago, damshow said:

USC, Miami, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Maryland, Illinois, South Carolina, UCF, North Texas, Hawaii and a number more sure to be confirmed in major conferences after the season ends.  The domino effect goes from there.  USC is the biggest job out there, but it's hard to argue against the appeal of Miami or Virginia Tech with those fertile recruiting grounds.

That's long gone ... Miami "fans" can't be bothered, the facilities they do have are garbage, they have to bus fans to the lifeless pro stadium they play in ... the whole thing is a mess.  That's why last time around they could only get Golden (not a shot at him).  For my money, the BEST jobs on that list are VT/MINN/NT.

And yeah holy freaking balls did the refs royally screw job Duke.  Knee down not called, at minimum TWO blocks in the back not called (third was iffy), and a player on the field from the sideline (who also had his helmet off which in of itself would have stopped the play). Absolutely ridiculous.  I wanted to throw up after watching it.

17 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

The defense stinking when it comes to the run is the only reason I'm not absolutely calling for him to go. But the defense needs some serious retooling in the offseason. And Jones needs to stop being so conservative. There are a few times he's opted to either go for a field goal or punt when he should have taken the risk and gone for it. Some fans have even argued that the Voiunteers might have won the Florida game if he had taken a risk or two. 

Honestly, if the athletic director back then had fired Fulmer earlier and made David Cutcliffe the head coach, we'd never have had all these problems. Would love it if they could sign him away from Duke if things with Jones don't eventually work out, but don't see it happening. 

*edit, because I forgot to add* If the Vois lose to Vanderbilt, I *will* be calling for his head.

BINGO

I think TENN would be dumb to get rid of Jones.  He is CLEARLY moving things forward.  The problem is that he just doesn't have the talent all around that he needs to do it game after game. 

I'd give Butch Jones another year.  Looks like he has been making steps in the right direction, just needs tweaks.

Holy crap Arkansas .... just wow.

Yeah, that was a bit 'meh' on being "forced out" .... that's pretty much a make up for all of the calls Nebraska hasn't gotten all year.

• Like 1

Michigan State winning with a backup QB.  Oklahoma State losing when the road to the CFP was paved for them.  It's strange because if Sparty didn't get screwed against Nebraska they'd be undefeated and the likely number 2 team in the country.  This win probably still has them leapfrog Iowa, but who knows with the way the committee does things.  i'd go Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State, Notre Dame for a top 4 with the first 2 out being Oklahoma and Ohio State.  

Oh and while he won't win I truly hope Keenan Reynolds at least gets invited to the Heisman ceremony.  

It would appear that Les Miles is on his way out.

With the USC, Miami, Virginia Tech, and possibly Georgia and Texas, opening up this off-season, I think it's a really bad idea. They won't be able to find someone as good as him. It's a great job, but I'd say that USC and Miami are definitely above it, as are UGA and Texas if they come open.

• Like 1

There's merit to it though ... take a look at the big picture, and the perspective through which LSU is viewed and how he is viewed.  In his decade there (this is year 11) ...

... he's been unranked twice, lost 4 or more games 3 times, finished 3rd or worse in the division 3 times, is 6-4 in bowls, has only played in 4 "big 6" bowls, he has a losing record against Bama, has lost 5 of the last 9 to Arkansas, has lost 2 of the last 3 to Ole Miss (and is losing ground to them in the SEC overall), he's stuck in the old way of running an offense despite bringing in OC's to change, he can't ever get a QB to, and despite drawing all of this top talent he's still not at the 'elite' level which is illustrated by the fact that his best teams were on the back of Saban's recruits.

There's easily a nice stack of evidence to support moving on ... especially if he doesn't win against A&M and then win the bowl game.

Miami isn't a better job.  That program is balls right now.  Until the university gives a damn about it and supports it like it should be ... it's going to be 2nd rate.  Texas won't get rid of Strong this season.  Beating OU gets him to next year regardless of anything else but especially if he wins 1 of the last 2 (if he wins them both they go bowling). 

Curious to see how VT is viewed ... I think it is RIPE for whomever the next Tom Herman is - I'm looking at you Hudspeth, Venables, and Norvell.

Les Miles not going anywhere, but Mark Richt is done at Georgia.

WHAT. THE. FUCK?

Oh, and I'm glad Stanford beat Notre Dame. :)

Yes, THANK YOU STANFORD .... so the stupid ND crap can end .... Although seriously, get out with the 2 loss Stanford getting in talk.

I love Richt (FSU and all) but he was stale there and wasn't keeping up with things.  They're trending down and are on a bad bowl streak (lost 3 of last 5).  I think it was just one of those 'matter of time' things as even when he was rolling (his first 6 years) he never actually was in the running for a NT (even his 13-1 season he never saw a top 2 BCS ranking in any week of the rankings).  

Richt is a great coach who happened to coach in a conference the same time that Urban Meyer and Nick Saban were coaching in it.  He put together some excellent teams that just never got over that hump.  It was a matter of time decision, Georgia isn't getting better than 10-3 with him and (much like Miles though LSU is keeping him) that just doesn't cut it at a school that expects to win the conference with regularity.

Richt could wind up at Miami.  I feel like an ACC school is perfect for him, and Miami is open.  But like we've talked about before, they have such a cheap athletic department they might go with another Al Golden.  UVA is open after London resigned today, and that's a bit of sleeping giant with the recruits that have come out of VA recently.

On the topic of Virginia, Fuente (the hottest commodity in the mid-majors) is likely heading to VA Tech.  Huge hire for them given the schools they were likely competing with.

Back to Georgia.  Kirby Smart has to be their guy, right?  Unless Bama is going to pay Smart head coach money he's gone since he's been linked to both South Carolina and now Georgia.

14 hours ago, damshow said:

Richt is a great coach who happened to coach in a conference the same time that Urban Meyer and Nick Saban were coaching in it.  He put together some excellent teams that just never got over that hump.  It was a matter of time decision, Georgia isn't getting better than 10-3 with him and (much like Miles though LSU is keeping him) that just doesn't cut it at a school that expects to win the conference with regularity.

Richt could wind up at Miami.  I feel like an ACC school is perfect for him, and Miami is open.  But like we've talked about before, they have such a cheap athletic department they might go with another Al Golden.  UVA is open after London resigned today, and that's a bit of sleeping giant with the recruits that have come out of VA recently.

On the topic of Virginia, Fuente (the hottest commodity in the mid-majors) is likely heading to VA Tech.  Huge hire for them given the schools they were likely competing with.

Back to Georgia.  Kirby Smart has to be their guy, right?  Unless Bama is going to pay Smart head coach money he's gone since he's been linked to both South Carolina and now Georgia.

BINGO ... it was merely the 'time to move on' even if it does put them in the lull before moving back up.  I don't see him at Miami, but I think VT (even though they're on Fuente) would be PERFECT for him (as he'd have Venebals as his DC) ... and I think either an ACC school or an American Athletic Conference (don't laugh) program (ECU anyone?) ... sleeper, if Texas did decide to get rid of Strong.

Virginia needs a Tom Herman type but I agree on them being a giant waiting for the right man in charge.  Hopefully London goes to a "smaller" D1 program because he really is a good coach. 

If UGA doesn't hire Smart ... they should be relegated :shifty:

I genuinely think that win over Oklahoma gave Strong another year.  We'll see what happens, but I have a hard time envisioning Texas not entertaining the idea of grabbing Tom Herman before another one of the big boys does.

Unless Herman has changed a whole hell of a lot since I knew him (which is very possible), I don't see him being one and done ... regardless of money involved or name on the other end of the phone call.  Of course, Houston isn't stupid either and has already uppsed his annual salary to 3m (was on 1.3 when signed originally).  That isn't SEC or Big12 money, but that's as good as anywhere else in the country (other power 5 conf included).  Houston is one of the single hottest talent pools in the country ... he's got plenty of reason to stay for another year or two.  I can absolutely see that happening ...

*sigh* ... I know he's an alum but Jeebus do I wish Richt wouldn't go there ... of course MAYBE, just MAYBE they'll actually do something for him (but probably not)

Muschamps is reportedly being courted by South Carolina ... which if he couldn't do it at talent rich Florida, and Holtz/Spurrier couldn't get it done at SCAR .... uuuuuummmmmm

I think South Carolina realizes it has to settle for Muschamp-level guys. They've got good money to pay coaches, but Chip Kelly isn't coming back to college it looks like so that rules out them hiring another Spurrier. The top assistants and mid-major coaches will be going to better programs.