2015 College Football Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Major clusterfuck with the Miami-Duke game. The refs royally screwed the pooch and handed Miami the win, so they're all suspended for 2 games. At least 3 different penalties that could have been called against the Hurricanes on the game-winning touchdown play, and the refs didn't do squat.

I wish they'd change the rules so that when refs screw up and hand a team a win, whether intentional or mistake, their paychecks for the game go to a charity picked by the team that got hosed instead of the refs. 

Hope the Hurricanes lose their next home game just on principle.

It is. 

The refs made THREE errors on the one play: 

1. Miami's running back had his knee down when he threw one of the laterals. If the refs had noticed, game over because the time had run out. 

2. The block Thrilla mentioned. 

3. Rashawn Scott ran on to the field to celebrate before the play was over. Refs didn't do anything about it. 

The refs are also in trouble for how they handled waving off a mistaken penalty call in the game, but I don't know the circumstances of that one. 

• Like 2

Add Virginia Tech to the list of openings at season's end.  Beamer is retiring, only 5 years too late.  Hawaii also fired Norm Chow last night, but who cares at this point.

USC, Miami, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Maryland, Illinois, South Carolina, UCF, North Texas, Hawaii and a number more sure to be confirmed in major conferences after the season ends.  The domino effect goes from there.  USC is the biggest job out there, but it's hard to argue against the appeal of Miami or Virginia Tech with those fertile recruiting grounds.

I'm beginning to think its time we add Tennessee to that list. Butch Jones' coaching style is too conservative. If not, they need to at least dump the defensive coordinator and have the defense practice harder at stopping the run during the offseason. 

I keep going back and forth about Jones.  This is just year 3 of his tenure, and he took over after Dooley drove the program into the ground.  I guess for a lot of people this was supposed to be the year they competed for the SEC East crown, but he got them back into a bowl last year and they're going to finish with a similar record this year.  Seems too early to give up on him, Tennessee wasn't a quick rebuilding project.

The defense stinking when it comes to the run is the only reason I'm not absolutely calling for him to go. But the defense needs some serious retooling in the offseason. And Jones needs to stop being so conservative. There are a few times he's opted to either go for a field goal or punt when he should have taken the risk and gone for it. Some fans have even argued that the Voiunteers might have won the Florida game if he had taken a risk or two. 

Honestly, if the athletic director back then had fired Fulmer earlier and made David Cutcliffe the head coach, we'd never have had all these problems. Would love it if they could sign him away from Duke if things with Jones don't eventually work out, but don't see it happening. 

*edit, because I forgot to add* If the Vois lose to Vanderbilt, I *will* be calling for his head.

Edited by GhostMachine

12 hours ago, damshow said:

USC, Miami, Virginia Tech, Minnesota, Maryland, Illinois, South Carolina, UCF, North Texas, Hawaii and a number more sure to be confirmed in major conferences after the season ends.  The domino effect goes from there.  USC is the biggest job out there, but it's hard to argue against the appeal of Miami or Virginia Tech with those fertile recruiting grounds.

That's long gone ... Miami "fans" can't be bothered, the facilities they do have are garbage, they have to bus fans to the lifeless pro stadium they play in ... the whole thing is a mess.  That's why last time around they could only get Golden (not a shot at him).  For my money, the BEST jobs on that list are VT/MINN/NT.

And yeah holy freaking balls did the refs royally screw job Duke.  Knee down not called, at minimum TWO blocks in the back not called (third was iffy), and a player on the field from the sideline (who also had his helmet off which in of itself would have stopped the play). Absolutely ridiculous.  I wanted to throw up after watching it.

17 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

The defense stinking when it comes to the run is the only reason I'm not absolutely calling for him to go. But the defense needs some serious retooling in the offseason. And Jones needs to stop being so conservative. There are a few times he's opted to either go for a field goal or punt when he should have taken the risk and gone for it. Some fans have even argued that the Voiunteers might have won the Florida game if he had taken a risk or two. 

Honestly, if the athletic director back then had fired Fulmer earlier and made David Cutcliffe the head coach, we'd never have had all these problems. Would love it if they could sign him away from Duke if things with Jones don't eventually work out, but don't see it happening. 

*edit, because I forgot to add* If the Vois lose to Vanderbilt, I *will* be calling for his head.

BINGO

I think TENN would be dumb to get rid of Jones.  He is CLEARLY moving things forward.  The problem is that he just doesn't have the talent all around that he needs to do it game after game. 

• 2 weeks later...

Michigan State winning with a backup QB.  Oklahoma State losing when the road to the CFP was paved for them.  It's strange because if Sparty didn't get screwed against Nebraska they'd be undefeated and the likely number 2 team in the country.  This win probably still has them leapfrog Iowa, but who knows with the way the committee does things.  i'd go Clemson, Alabama, Michigan State, Notre Dame for a top 4 with the first 2 out being Oklahoma and Ohio State.  

Oh and while he won't win I truly hope Keenan Reynolds at least gets invited to the Heisman ceremony.