2015 College Football Thread

There's merit to it though ... take a look at the big picture, and the perspective through which LSU is viewed and how he is viewed.  In his decade there (this is year 11) ...

... he's been unranked twice, lost 4 or more games 3 times, finished 3rd or worse in the division 3 times, is 6-4 in bowls, has only played in 4 "big 6" bowls, he has a losing record against Bama, has lost 5 of the last 9 to Arkansas, has lost 2 of the last 3 to Ole Miss (and is losing ground to them in the SEC overall), he's stuck in the old way of running an offense despite bringing in OC's to change, he can't ever get a QB to, and despite drawing all of this top talent he's still not at the 'elite' level which is illustrated by the fact that his best teams were on the back of Saban's recruits.

There's easily a nice stack of evidence to support moving on ... especially if he doesn't win against A&M and then win the bowl game.

Miami isn't a better job.  That program is balls right now.  Until the university gives a damn about it and supports it like it should be ... it's going to be 2nd rate.  Texas won't get rid of Strong this season.  Beating OU gets him to next year regardless of anything else but especially if he wins 1 of the last 2 (if he wins them both they go bowling). 

Curious to see how VT is viewed ... I think it is RIPE for whomever the next Tom Herman is - I'm looking at you Hudspeth, Venables, and Norvell.

Yes, THANK YOU STANFORD .... so the stupid ND crap can end .... Although seriously, get out with the 2 loss Stanford getting in talk.

I love Richt (FSU and all) but he was stale there and wasn't keeping up with things.  They're trending down and are on a bad bowl streak (lost 3 of last 5).  I think it was just one of those 'matter of time' things as even when he was rolling (his first 6 years) he never actually was in the running for a NT (even his 13-1 season he never saw a top 2 BCS ranking in any week of the rankings).  

Richt is a great coach who happened to coach in a conference the same time that Urban Meyer and Nick Saban were coaching in it.  He put together some excellent teams that just never got over that hump.  It was a matter of time decision, Georgia isn't getting better than 10-3 with him and (much like Miles though LSU is keeping him) that just doesn't cut it at a school that expects to win the conference with regularity.

Richt could wind up at Miami.  I feel like an ACC school is perfect for him, and Miami is open.  But like we've talked about before, they have such a cheap athletic department they might go with another Al Golden.  UVA is open after London resigned today, and that's a bit of sleeping giant with the recruits that have come out of VA recently.

On the topic of Virginia, Fuente (the hottest commodity in the mid-majors) is likely heading to VA Tech.  Huge hire for them given the schools they were likely competing with.

Back to Georgia.  Kirby Smart has to be their guy, right?  Unless Bama is going to pay Smart head coach money he's gone since he's been linked to both South Carolina and now Georgia.

14 hours ago, damshow said:

Richt is a great coach who happened to coach in a conference the same time that Urban Meyer and Nick Saban were coaching in it.  He put together some excellent teams that just never got over that hump.  It was a matter of time decision, Georgia isn't getting better than 10-3 with him and (much like Miles though LSU is keeping him) that just doesn't cut it at a school that expects to win the conference with regularity.

Richt could wind up at Miami.  I feel like an ACC school is perfect for him, and Miami is open.  But like we've talked about before, they have such a cheap athletic department they might go with another Al Golden.  UVA is open after London resigned today, and that's a bit of sleeping giant with the recruits that have come out of VA recently.

On the topic of Virginia, Fuente (the hottest commodity in the mid-majors) is likely heading to VA Tech.  Huge hire for them given the schools they were likely competing with.

Back to Georgia.  Kirby Smart has to be their guy, right?  Unless Bama is going to pay Smart head coach money he's gone since he's been linked to both South Carolina and now Georgia.

BINGO ... it was merely the 'time to move on' even if it does put them in the lull before moving back up.  I don't see him at Miami, but I think VT (even though they're on Fuente) would be PERFECT for him (as he'd have Venebals as his DC) ... and I think either an ACC school or an American Athletic Conference (don't laugh) program (ECU anyone?) ... sleeper, if Texas did decide to get rid of Strong.

Virginia needs a Tom Herman type but I agree on them being a giant waiting for the right man in charge.  Hopefully London goes to a "smaller" D1 program because he really is a good coach. 

If UGA doesn't hire Smart ... they should be relegated :shifty:

Unless Herman has changed a whole hell of a lot since I knew him (which is very possible), I don't see him being one and done ... regardless of money involved or name on the other end of the phone call.  Of course, Houston isn't stupid either and has already uppsed his annual salary to 3m (was on 1.3 when signed originally).  That isn't SEC or Big12 money, but that's as good as anywhere else in the country (other power 5 conf included).  Houston is one of the single hottest talent pools in the country ... he's got plenty of reason to stay for another year or two.  I can absolutely see that happening ...

*sigh* ... I know he's an alum but Jeebus do I wish Richt wouldn't go there ... of course MAYBE, just MAYBE they'll actually do something for him (but probably not)

Muschamps is reportedly being courted by South Carolina ... which if he couldn't do it at talent rich Florida, and Holtz/Spurrier couldn't get it done at SCAR .... uuuuuummmmmm

I think South Carolina realizes it has to settle for Muschamp-level guys. They've got good money to pay coaches, but Chip Kelly isn't coming back to college it looks like so that rules out them hiring another Spurrier. The top assistants and mid-major coaches will be going to better programs.

Today we get a legitimate national quarterfinal between Iowa and Michigan State. I'd like it if Clemson-UNC was also a quarterfinal, and if UNC were undefeated it would be. Unfortunately a soft schedule and loss to SCAR likely keeps them out regardless of the result today. Ohio State is in should either Bama or Clemson lose today, which I don't like since they didn't win their conference. If your conference has a title game, and you're not in it, you don't belong in the CFP. You didn't get enough done.

There's no reason that Ohio State should get in if Clemson loses.  You're going to drop them out of the top four and behind another 1 loss team that couldn't even make their conference championship game?  Bullshit.   And hell, if UNC wins how are they going to justify putting a 1 loss Ohio State team that didn't make it's conference title game in over a 1 loss team with a conference title win over the #1 team in the country.  Especially after the shit with Baylor/TCU last year.  It reeks of corruption.

The only silver lining is that it would be great justification for expanding it to 8 teams next year.

1 hour ago, damshow said:

Ohio State is in should either Bama or Clemson lose today, which I don't like since they didn't win their conference. If your conference has a title game, and you're not in it, you don't belong in the CFP. You didn't get enough done.

while I don't think they're in unless Clemson AND Bama lose .... but I do agree with your point here AND it also illustrates why you need more than 4 in the playoff.  We had this exact thing happen more than once with the BCS.

15 minutes ago, Maxx said:

There's no reason that Ohio State should get in if Clemson loses.  You're going to drop them out of the top four and behind another 1 loss team that couldn't even make their conference championship game?  Bullshit.   And hell, if UNC wins how are they going to justify putting a 1 loss Ohio State team that didn't make it's conference title game in over a 1 loss team with a conference title win over the #1 team in the country.  Especially after the shit with Baylor/TCU last year.  It reeks of corruption.

The only silver lining is that it would be great justification for expanding it to 8 teams next year.

Just as I did the last few years of the BCS ... I hope for all holy hell to break loose for this exact reason.  The decisions will be FORCED if this continues ... which I hope it does.  Given the absolute (I get where it comes from but still) bullshit of the P5 vs everyone else line of thinking, they have to think we are absolutely fucking stupid to think that they can say that ... but then not have a system that is set up to prove them right (IE - at least all P5 conference winners afforded the opportunity).

8 is perfect ... let the P5 have their conference title winners get in (and maybe a provision that if they have more than 2 losses, they're open to being passed up).  Guarantee the highest ranked "other" conference champion .... and debate the actual merits of the final 2 in.