Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

MalaCloudy Black

http://www.avclub.com/article/jon-stewart-says-hes-leaving-daily-show-215070

According to sources who were there (some of whom are already passing word along on social media), Stewart let the news slip at the taping of todays episode, telling those in the audience that hes retiring.

End of an era. Can't imagine who they'll tap to replace him - were it not for HBO snapping John Oliver up, I'd say him, but I don't know what his contract with HBO is like and I imagine Last Week is a way easier gig. Jason Jones, maybe?

According to sources who were there (some of whom are already passing word along on social media), Stewart let the news slip at the taping of todays episode, telling those in the audience that hes retiring.

End of an era. Can't imagine who they'll tap to replace him - were it not for HBO snapping John Oliver up, I'd say him, but I don't know what his contract with HBO is like and I imagine Last Week is a way easier gig. Jason Jones, maybe?

Jason Jones and Samantha Bee as co-anchors.

• Like 2

Jason Jones and Samantha Bee as co-anchors.

In b4 GoGo suggests Greg Proops :shifty:

Wow.. That really caught me off guard. I knew Stewart would probably retire in the next few years but didn't expect an announcement so soon.

Oliver really would've been the best choice, loved his stint during Stewart's film making absence. I don't want to see a co-host format, I think Samantha Bee would do a great job.

I thought Oliver and Colbert were going to take the spot and obviously they both moved on before it opened up. Most of the really ideal names all left the show already and are doing great things elsewhere that they probably wouldn't think of leaving.

Maybe Comedy Central wants to reel in a big name or maybe they want to take a lesser known name who they have a lot of confidence in. Depends whether they think the name The Daily Show is valuable enough without Jon Stewart.

I could go for a guest host routine while they land a permanent spot at the desk. A week of Bill Burr would be phenomenal.

It's fucking maddening that Cricinfo keeps bringing him back for videos and shit. My christ. If he's not just a cricket guy, then apparently i'm unaware of all that. But he's the actual worst thing on Cricinfo, and Ian Chappell writes there.

Maybe Comedy Central wants to reel in a big name or maybe they want to take a lesser known name who they have a lot of confidence in. Depends whether they think the name The Daily Show is valuable enough without Jon Stewart.

I'm not sure it is. I think this is a case of John Stewart making the Daily Show. Without him, I don't see the appeal. Yeah, they can bring in any number of names but I just don't feel that the Daily Show would be anything without him (not saying that there aren't people that wouldn't do a "good job" with it). This isn't a show like SNL (used to be) where the show made the people ... Stewart was the lynchpin and made everything else work.

People seem to forget that when Jon Stewart took the gig he was almost an after thought. His own late night show failed and the aura of being the "hot young stand up" had worn off. When he took over for Kilborn, the show much more resembled a traditional talk show.

It's amazing how much the late night landscape has changed in the past year.