Jon Stewart leaving The Daily Show

MalaCloudy Black

People seem to forget that when Jon Stewart took the gig he was almost an after thought. His own late night show failed and the aura of being the "hot young stand up" had worn off. When he took over for Kilborn, the show much more resembled a traditional talk show.

It's amazing how much the late night landscape has changed in the past year.

By the start of next year, the only guy left still in late night from when I started watching with regularity will be Conan O'Brien, and he's not even on the network we all assumed he'd be a lifer at. That is really really weird for me to think about.

EDIT: Wait, if Bill Maher counts then I guess he still exists too, but I didn't watch him then and I don't watch him now.

The transition of Bill Maher over that time is shocking, no one has torpedoed their own credibility and likeability as he has since Glenn Beck.

Edited by SeanDCouturier
  • Like 3

Some of the suggestions I've heard were absolutely idiotic. Russell Brand was one, and I could only think, "No." Personally, I think that Comedy Central just needs to grab somebody from out of left field. I don't know, maybe they should watch the guest host spots on The Late Late Show or something.

I agree. In entertainment, you very seldom want to be the person who replaces an iconic role (which is what the Daily Show seat has become). You want to be the person who replaces the person who took over the iconic role. A perfect example is Conan. Like him or not, I think very few people would doubt that the man has talent. Yet, the viewers of the Tonight Show hated him because he wasn't Jay Leno...

...a strange thought to me at least considering my lack of respect for Jay Leno but that is a different story. Unfortunately, I fear that Stephen Colbert is doomed for the same fate but I am hoping for him to succeed. Back to the point though, I am getting side tracked.

Ultimately, I think Comedy Central would be best to pick a name from out in left field and let them fail. If the person is a hit, great, but chances are high that whomever the selection would be (despite their talent level) is going to fail in the eyes of the viewers. After that happens, you can go after someone and they don't have to be in the same mold as Jon Stewart. They can just be good and people will view them for what they are, rather than what they are not in comparison to Jon Stewart.

Though if we are playing throw names off a wall and see if they stick... how about Trey Parker or Matt Stone? They have shown to be similar to Jon Stewart in that they both (all three I guess actually) have the courage to be funny, while being politically opinionated and ya know, they have made the network a few dollars along the way. South Park can't last forever, maybe this is a way to attempt to keep one of the talents on the network.

Andy Zaltzman is basically John Oliver with sillier hair, they should get him.

Oh my christ Andy Zaltzman is the worst of things. I'd rather have them bring George W in. At least that'd be funny.

You just made the list. Nobody insults Zaltor the Merciless and gets away with it.

Oh jeez, no thanks. Nooooo thanks. I can only take Olbermann in short doses.

There was an article that gave a list of ideas that I thought were pretty good. Wyatt Cenac was one of them, which I think would work really well. He offers a different energy than Stewart but can probably still fit the same basic role.

• Like 2

I can't help but think they go with Jason Jones the more I talk to other people about it. I feel like Comedy Central had all their money in the John Oliver bank and he got the offer from HBO before Stewart's contract was up. So the next choice on the show was Jason Jones who if I recall filled in not too long ago.

I think Comedy Central is going to want a "name" to sell the show after Stewart leaves, although that will probably also mean they won't stick around for very long. Unless Stewart has a say in his successor, I don't think any of the existing correspondents will get the gig.

If they are going to go with one of the existing correspondents, I really do hope it's Samantha Bee. If they're going to go outside of the show, I would like to see Adam Scott, think he would be a good fit but who knows if he'd even be interested.

To be honest, I didn't think Jason Jones was right for the position. Ditto for Samantha Bee. Bee and Jones works in the same way that Colbert works - they both seemed like they are playing a character. But the Daily Show worked because Stewart rarely seemed like he was playing a character. If they were a comedy duo, Stewart was always the straight man to the joke, which was always a new story, a politician, a member of the media. I think that is why John Oliver has largely succeeded - he basically wasn't playing a character and often just acts like the straight man to the absurdity around them. Colbert's formula of playing a mock character on television works, but I don't think it'll replace the Daily Show. Maybe Jones and Bee could transition into playing less of a character and more of the host role, but I think ultimately it wouldn't be successful.

Poehler or Fey were always the best known name out there, because the weekend update was in a lot of ways similar to the format of the Daily Show, just in a more condensed, rapid fire, punch line like fashion. Fey and Poehler for the most part succeeded in that position, but have the chops to do something absurd or silly like Stewart was known for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...