Superman 64 Discussion Thread

Benji

Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na...  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na na...

• BATMAN!
    • LEADER!

I did always assume people were donating because they supported what she wanted to bring into discussion more than a YouTube series.  So the fact that their donation has snowballed into national attention for their cause and growing support is probably more than enough for the majority of them.

• Like 1

No idea why you would ever think something this niche should get a theatre premier. Madness.

Aside from the Howard Dean endorsement, proGG folk are also celebrating that the head of the much maligned IGF resigned after allegations of cronyism and corruption started to dog him. Not that it will likely change anything, since the nature of the organization is pretty much "handjob under the table, banners on top of the desk".

So, does anybody else think that some of her Kickstarter their Patreon supporters might want to see her them prosecuted for fraud?

At least they finished the project they got funding for, tropes vs women in video games has only covered three out of the proposed twelve in two years, the last episode coming out a year ago, and now they are doing something completly different.

It's probably tough to work on your webseries when you're getting death threats from dudes on the internet for daring to be a girl and talk about video games.

• Like 2

Yeah, it must be rough being an internet celebrity and getting all that hatred. Like TB, a guy who had people telling him "I hope you die from your cancer" while he was taking chemo and was still doing weekly shows and video.

I don't really feel too bad for Anita. It sucks to get death threats and it's idiotic that the internet is full of trolls, but that is sort of the reality of the internet nowadays. Get famous, people will swat you, harass you, go on your stream and try and get you to rage. It's a stupid phenomenon of culture but it's not like this is a recent development. Meanwhile, she is an upper middleclass educated woman who CHOSE to enter a field she claims was toxic, found out it was toxic, and then complained about it being toxic. Well yeah, who could have seen that coming. In response to it being toxic she got thousands of dollars from people to talk about how awful people have treated her. Good for her, I guess?

I mean it would be different if I felt like she were approaching her subject matter with any sort of unbiased attempt to portray it, but she isn't, and she uses other people's artwork and game footage without crediting them, while cherry picking and isolating points to fit her narrative all while saying that dismissing the argument that bad elements in a game or games here or there is ignorance of the "larger culture" of toxicity that women face. And it's not as if her position is completely baseless, but it's overly exaggerated for sensationalism. I mean are we really talking about the toxic effect of Final Fight pixel art from the early 90s in 2015? I think it's cultural impact is pretty much dead.

For all the people who say "Why does peoples cares about video game journalisms? Like isn't there more important shits in the world", it seems like they for some reason love Anita Sarkeesian. It is a bit odd.

Just got around to the reddit post that Sean put up and oh my, a group of classy intellectuals getting in on the conversation there.

Holy fuck I don't think I could hate those people more. Not only do they take credit for it with click bait articles, but also ignore the very real revelation that Boyer has cancer and upvote the suggestion that there is no need to feel sorry for the guy despite the fact.. while keeping no real proof that they've actually done anything. A carousel of stupidity.

• Like 2

I just read it too. To look at what they're saying, you'd think they were akin to civil rights activists facing the firehoses in Birmingham, Alabama. I suppose this is what happens when First World residents get together, rile one another up and convince themselves that they're a group of persecuted minorities. The self-congratulatory sentiments over something they didn't even do reminds me of the time Chris Jericho kept calling out Goldberg on WCW Nitro, declaring himself the winner each time Goldberg didn't turn up. If we're lucky, this could end the same way.

• Like 3

GamerGate goes to Raw, starts out hot, starts hanging out with Mr. Hughes, turns shit for a few years but is somehow fondly remembered even though it was really kind of meh until it comes back years later in a suit using big words?

Just got around to the reddit post that Sean put up and oh my, a group of classy intellectuals getting in on the conversation there.

Holy fuck I don't think I could hate those people more. Not only do they take credit for it with click bait articles, but also ignore the very real revelation that Boyer has cancer and upvote the suggestion that there is no need to feel sorry for the guy despite the fact.. while keeping no real proof that they've actually done anything. A carousel of stupidity.

You're right, the thread is full of absolutely terrible opinions, like this:

Hope he manages to beat that as fast and painless as possible. Damn I hate cancer.

Best of luck to him.

Top level comment.

I hope he gets better and is able to find work, but I'm also glad he's no longer in that position. 

Second to top.

I wish him a full and speedy recovery. 

Third to top.

It would seem like the vast majority of people feel like he should recover and wish him well.

Wow, I hadn't read his story about his insurance issues. Whatever I may think of him re: the indie scene, that seriously sucks.

I don't wish cancer even for my worst enemies. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

he's a shit but he doesn't deserve cancer, hope he recovers 

That's sad. Nobody should get cancer. 

Hope he manages to beat it and returns to health. Cancer is no joke. 

Lets wish him a full and speedy recovery, whatever your opinion of the fella. 

But it turns out there was an earlier thread about this, maybe the tone of that thread is completely different.

IIRC the guy's dying of cancer. Celebrating this seems a little harsh. 

Top level comment. Let's not celebrate this, dude has cancer, upvoted to be the top comment.

Response?

First I have heard of that.

Edit: He has had cancer, he had a kick starter for it, to raise the 110K he needed, after the insurance companies screwed him over.

I wanted the guy gone from the IGF, but not like this. As much of a C**T as he appears to be, I hope he recovers from his cancer and lives a long life.

I hope he recovers and lives a long life.

God these people are absolute scum. Absolute. Scum. Burn the whole lot of them.

Thats interesting SDM...because for me, sorted by top comment, it looks exactly like this

Different thread.

But going through the same thread you are:

1. Top comment is boasting but doesn't mention anything about his cancer.
2. Second top sarcastic comment about being anti-women, no mention of cancer.
3. Third top: Hope it's less of a hipster circle jerk, no mention of cancer.
4. Fourth top: Accusation of cronyism, no mention of cancer.
5. Fifth comment: Even if he's a cancer patient or whatever, I don't think I can muster any sympathy for this guy. IGF needs complete staff shuffling.
Okay so admittedly that's a pretty shitty opinion, but it's at +16. The top comment in this thread has +137.

I hope he gets better and is able to find work, but I'm also glad he's no longer in that position.

+113.

Hope he manages to beat that as fast and painless as possible. Damn I hate cancer. 

+85.

I think it's fair to say that, while there are some people who are pro-GG who seem indifferent to his cancer, most people don't want to see him suffer. So saying:

Is a bit of an overgeneralization. It's fine to be uncomfortable with people doing a thing but saying "look at everyone doing that thing! Fuck everyone!" is an overreaction.