One Album Wonders

Benji

We all know plenty of one-hit wonder songs in terms of singles, but what about albums? For the sake of not having new artists, the album must have been released in 2009 or before, or the band must have already split up.

Box Car Racer - Box Car Racer

The side project of blink-182's Tom DeLonge and Travis Barker, BCR was their foray into the emo genre, which had a strong influence on the next blink album. Probably only a couple of bad songs on it, and some fantastically memorable ones on there too, including one of my all-time favourites - "Elevator".

+44 - When Your Heart Stops Beating

The side project of blink-182's Tom DeLonge and Mark Hoppus. +44 came after blink had broken up and was more electronic based than anything blink had put out. Honestly I don't think there's a single bad track on this album, I love it and can throw it on no matter the mood and it'll have at least one song that I'll identify with. My favourite track is "No It Isn't".

Fort Minor - The Rising Tied

The side project (noticing a pattern yet?) of Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park. Rising Tied was his rap album, and it is fantastic. There's a nice mix of different songs in there, and whilst every one doesn't hit home, it's an incredibly solid album. Best track is "Where'd You Go", which features Holly Brook (better known these days as Skylar Gray).

Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures

The side project of members of QOTSA, Led Zep, and Foo Fighters. Just a pure rock, absolutely brilliant. Best track is "Mind Eraser, No Chaser".

The Prize Fighter Inferno - My Brother's Blood Machine

The side project of Coheed & Cambria's Claudio Sanchez. This is a very electronic album with story based in the same universe as the rest of Coheed's albums, but from the perspective of a different character from the main stories. Best track is "The Margretville Dance".

Late to the Pier - Fantasy Black Channel was the first that came to mind but that's because I was listening to it last night. Set itself apart from that 2007/8 era "indie-rave-dance" whatever the fuck it was called at the time like Klaxons by having better hooks and better dance beats. Had some buzz at the time but soon fell off.

Elle Milano - Acres of Dead Space Cadets is one of my favourite albums ever. Loud, riff-heavy with great choruses. Another disgrace that they didn't get the breakthrough that their early demos seemed to suggest.

I'm not sure Jeff Buckley technically counts here because they packaged demos up and released them as an album but Grace should probably be mentioned as the only album he actually got to complete while he was alive and it's every bit as good as its reputation.

American Football's S/T is also an amazing work with gorgeous sounding guitars.

The La's S/T too. Really strong songwriting, had an amazing single off it and they never did anything further.

Monks - Black Monk Time - American GI's stationed in Germany make the first punk album. I once heard it described as "The Monkees after returning from Vietnam and realising that peace and love is a crock of shit"

The Millennium - Begin is a pitch perfect late 60s sunshine pop/psychedelic album with amazing production that sets it apart from other efforts at the time. They reign in a lot of the experimental tendencies that plagued other bands too which makes it a rarity of the time.

This is a good thread idea and I'll probably be back.

• Like 2

Mylo released one of the best house albums with Destroy Rock and Roll in 2004. In addition to not destroying rock and roll, he has never released a follow-up album.

• Like 1

California Breed - s/t (2014)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHFRzcNpow
They were a Hard/Blues Rock band formed by Glenn Hughes (formerly of Deep Purple and Trapeze) and Jason Bonham along with guitarist Andrew Watt after Hughes' and Bonham's former band "Black Country Communion" broke up. The album is much more straightforward and uncomplicated than their BBC stuff and doesn't feature any keyboards. But it is a good rock album nevertheless and Hughes still is a insanely good singer for someone his age. But sadly the band simply wasn't meant to be. Jason Bonham left pretty soon after the album was recorded. He was replaced by former Queens Of The Stone Age drummer Joey Castillo. After their tour the band went quiet and earlier this year it was announced that they had disbanded.

Symfonia - In Paradisum (2011)

They were a Melodic Metal supergroup formed by former Strartovarius guitarist Timo Tolkki along with his former Stratovarius bandmade bassist Jari Kainulainen, former Gamma Ray, Helloween and Masterplan drummer Uli Kusch, former Angra and Shaman singer Andre Matos and former Sonata Arctica keyboarder Mikko Härkin. Their one and only album was a return to his musical roots for Tolkki who since his departure from Stratovarius in 2008 had tried to find a new musical identity. It sounded much like their 1997 hit album "Visions" and I enjoyed it a lot despite my aversion to Matos as a singer. Uli Kusch was the first member to leave the band after their initial European tour in early 2011 to recover from nerve damage in his hand. They did a South America tour without him and announced their split later that year.

Ride The Sky - New Protection (2007)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWixT72_4YU

Speaking of Uli Kusch, after his fallout with bandmate Roland Grapow and his subsequent departure from their band Masterplan in 2007 he decided to form a new band with Swedish Musicians. They released their one and only album in 2007. Compared to Masterplan it had a more sinister vibe to it and s slight progressive. There were some filler songs on it but overall it was another great showcase of Kusch both as a drummer and songwriter. Unfortunately they decided to split up in 2008 citing too little media focus and support from their label as a reason.

Billionaires Boys Club - Something Wicked Comes (1993)

If you like 80s Metal or Hard Rock this is the band for you. They were founded by the Accept guitarist that history forgot: Jörg Fischer. Other members were former Yngwie Malmsteen singer Mark Boals as well as HammerFall members-to-be Anders Johansson on the drums and bassist Magnus Rosen. A great, unagitated Hard Rock/Metal album that unfortunately came about 5 years to late to be of any relevance. The band split up in 1994.

Killing Touch - One Of A Kind (2009)
This band was founded in 2008 by Italian singer Michele Luppi after his sacking from Vision Divine the same year. Apart from him no one of note played in the band. Their one and only album is a mix of melodic and progressive metal, not unlike Vision Divine but not as intricate. I can't really tell you what happened to them. They just ceased to exist at some point.

The Snakes – Once Bitten (1998)

This rare gem was to my knowledge only released in Japan. It marks the first collaboration of former Whitesnake guitarists Micky Moody and Bernie Marsden since they both left Whitesnake in the early 80s. Alongside them the album also features Norwegian powerhouse singer Jorn Lande as well as bassist Sid Ringsby and drummer Willy Bendiksen (who would both go on to play in Jorn's solo band years later). If you are into that blues-influenced hard rock that Whitesnake played before turning into a Hair Metal band in 1987 than this is for you. They recorded a live-album made up entirely of Whitesnake covers from the 1979-1984 era of the band in 1999 and disbanded the same year.

Edited by Hellraiser

Since a 'one hit wonder' isn't the only single/song produced by the artist, could I suggest for a 'one album wonder' 'Ideas Above Our Station' by Hundred Reasons?

Only album of any real worth (in terms of mainstream success anyway) that they produced.

• Like 1

Late to the Pier - Fantasy Black Channel was the first that came to mind but that's because I was listening to it last night. Set itself apart from that 2007/8 era "indie-rave-dance" whatever the fuck it was called at the time like Klaxons by having better hooks and better dance beats. Had some buzz at the time but soon fell off.

Elle Milano - Acres of Dead Space Cadets is one of my favourite albums ever. Loud, riff-heavy with great choruses. Another disgrace that they didn't get the breakthrough that their early demos seemed to suggest.

I'm not sure Jeff Buckley technically counts here because they packaged demos up and released them as an album but Grace should probably be mentioned as the only album he actually got to complete while he was alive and it's every bit as good as its reputation.

The La's S/T too. Really strong songwriting, had an amazing single off it and they never did anything further.

Monks - Black Monk Time - American GI's stationed in Germany make the first punk album. I once heard it described as "The Monkees after returning from Vietnam and realising that peace and love is a crock of shit"

The Millennium - Begin is a pitch perfect late 60s sunshine pop/psychedelic album with amazing production that sets it apart from other efforts at the time. They reign in a lot of the experimental tendencies that plagued other bands too which makes it a rarity of the time.

The Monks is an interesting choice, a really good one actually. It's a bit weird and out there in it's very sixties way, so much different than anything...ever to be honest. But it never feels like noise for the sake of noise. The only thing I take issue with is "First punk album". The Sonics first album was released in 1965, where as this was released in 1966. It gets to be splitting hairs because depending on how you define a "punk" album, you might just say it was the Stooges, or you might just say it was the Ramones, or you might get crazy and decide it was Link Wray. Still, I love the Monks, great mention.

Black Randy and the Metrosquad - Pass the Dust...I think I'm Bowie - Yeah, good stuff. Only album I can think of that these guys did, and it was a pretty good one. Bit of funk, punk, weirdness, and sleaze.

I was going to type other stuff but I got horribly side tracked, I'll add more later.

The Monks is an interesting choice, a really good one actually. It's a bit weird and out there in it's very sixties way, so much different than anything...ever to be honest. But it never feels like noise for the sake of noise. The only thing I take issue with is "First punk album". The Sonics first album was released in 1965, where as this was released in 1966. It gets to be splitting hairs because depending on how you define a "punk" album, you might just say it was the Stooges, or you might just say it was the Ramones, or you might get crazy and decide it was Link Wray. Still, I love the Monks, great mention.

I would say The Sonics are on the side of garage rock but yeah, deciding on the origins of genres is splitting hairs. It's just a catchy way to say it was pretty far ahead of it's time. It definitely has a punk, DIY spirit to it.