Sign in to follow this  
Benji

One Album Wonders

Speaking of electronic bands that only had one release, Air France released No Way Down in 2008 and promptly did nothing until they broke up in 2012. I once woke up at 7 in the morning in Prague, put that on while walking around the Old Town and it was just perfect.

I was going to vote for the Rising Tied as well. Recently went back to see what else they did. I mean, what a great debut album, and then... nothing.

I post this because I finally found a vinyl copy last night at a reasonable price. Great stuff, a bit different than all that happy psychedelic stuff in the 60s.

Fort Minor - The Rising Tied

The side project (noticing a pattern yet?) of Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park. Rising Tied was his rap album, and it is fantastic. There's a nice mix of different songs in there, and whilst every one doesn't hit home, it's an incredibly solid album. Best track is "Where'd You Go", which features Holly Brook (better known these days as Skylar Gray).

That track also featured Jonah Matranga on it from Far / onelinedrawing / Gratitude. Shinoda is a massive Far fan.

As for some of my favourites one album wonders:

Rites of Spring - S/T

Probot - S/T

New Radicals - Maybe You've Been Brainwashed Too

The Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols

Jeff Buckley - Grace

The Avalanches - Since I Left You

Monsters Of Folk - S/T

Minor Threat - Out of Step

The Germs - G.I.

Operation Ivy - Energy

Sex Pistols, Minor Threat, and the Germs are great mentions.

The Germs are one of my favorite bands and GI is a favorite album of mine. They have a handful of other good songs that are not on this album, but yeah, this is really the only known album they have. Their is some stuff listed on (wait for it) allmusic.com but they were released after Darby had died.

51vT81JweTL.jpg

I remember listening to this album all the time. Such a popular band in a short space of time.... then Wheatus pretty much fell off the face of the earth...

I just discovered Andrew WK released half a dozen albums including one instrumental piano solo and another made up entirely of Gundam covers. :/

• Like 1