2018 World Cup Qualifiers

DFF

1 hour ago, Adam said:

The Dutch will go out without even getting to the Play Offs, and perhaps controversially, I think the Wales/Ireland game may prove pointless as their group loses out in the 2nd Place Table for the UEFA Play-Off spots.

Oh, it does? I didn't realise that group had the worst performing 2nd place team!

With that said I'm not expecting anything more than a 0-0 with Georgia this evening anyway. 

55 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Oh, it does? I didn't realise that group had the worst performing 2nd place team!

With that said I'm not expecting anything more than a 0-0 with Georgia this evening anyway. 

It's my prediction. Currently Wales are in 9th spot of 9, but if they win tonight they'll be above Scotland in the table with a game to play as far as I can see. Northern Ireland are pretty sure to be in.

Our chances get helped considerably by Belgium hopefully thumping Bosnia tomorrow so we go above them on the board by goal difference :shifty:

It would be the most absolutely Wales thing ever if we follow up our Euro showing with an undefeated qualifying campaign and still don't go to the World Cup.

• Haha 1

Even if they only manage a draw, they're most likely securing the final automatic spot considering Honduras play Costa Rica and Mexico while Panama finish with Costa Rica. However, a win in T&T is the expectation at this point, for me.

Last night was a great performance, and when Pulisic plays in a #10 role behind Altidore and Wood, we're dangerous and score goals. However, it leaves Michael Bradley with too much ground to cover in the middle, and our defense is left exposed often as a result. 

The games against the bottom team don't count for the mini 2nd place league, so Scotland have a 11 points and Greece have 13 points in that regard. Greece's last game is against the team bottom of the group though, so they've got all the points they can get, whereas Scotland can still go above them by beating Slovenia.

There's still too many teams in the mix really, picture will probably be clearer when some of the groups finish tonight.

Aye, the stupid thing is the only reason the matches against last place don't count is because originally, two groups had less teams but then they admitted Gibraltar and Kosovo, rendering that moot but they kept the regulation the same.

I didn't realise Greece's game was against Gibraltar however, so realistically that does mean that all Wales and Scotland need to do here is win and they make the Play Offs because they would finish ahead of Greece. Let's hope that happens!

I'm also hoping Portugal win in Switzerland because knowing "our" (home nations) luck it'd be them or Italy that the Scots draw for the Play Off.

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

Aye, the stupid thing is the only reason the matches against last place don't count is because originally, two groups had less teams but then they admitted Gibraltar and Kosovo, rendering that moot but they kept the regulation the same.

I didn't realise Greece's game was against Gibraltar however, so realistically that does mean that all Wales and Scotland need to do here is win and they make the Play Offs because they would finish ahead of Greece. Let's hope that happens!

I'm also hoping Portugal win in Switzerland because knowing "our" (home nations) luck it'd be them or Italy that the Scots draw for the Play Off.

Didn't Kosovo only get their FIFA status just before the qualification draw? I'm assuming there wasn't time to change the rules before the start of the qualifiers.

Or FIFA are being silly, your pick:shifty: