2018 World Cup Qualifiers

DFF

What's the difference between competitive matches and friendlies as far as ranking points are concerned? I assume competitive matches hold more weight, but weren't Switzerland able to secure a place among the top seeds at the World Cup after winning several easy friendly matches?

Wales have a fantastic chance of qualifying now. They will be chuffed with that draw.

Would've been more pleased with the group England got. Literally England always get easy groups. 

We seem to be the Chelsea of group draws.

I love how they're talking up some of the England games on SSN, as if Malta are going to cause them a fucking problem. Laughable. 

Happy with the Wales group. 

More top opposition for Rooney to cement himself further as "England's Greatest Striker" <_<

Groups:

Group A: Netherlands,   France, Sweden,   Bulgaria, Belarus, Luxembourg

Group B: Portugal, Switzerland,   Hungary, Faroe Islands, Latvia, Andorra

Group C: Germany, Czech Republic,  NORTHERN IRELAND,  Norway, Azerbaijan, San Marino

Group D: WALES,  Austria,   Serbia, Republic of Ireland, Moldova, Georgia, 

Group E: Romania,   Denmark, Poland,   Montenegro, Armenia, Kazakhstan

Group F: ENGLAND,  Slovakia,  SCOTLAND,  Malta, Lithuania, Slovenia

Group G: Spain, Italy,   Albania, Israel, Macedonia, Liechtenstein

Group H: Belgium,   Bosnia-Hercegovina, Greece, Estonia, Cyprus

Group I : Croatia, Iceland, Ukraine, Turkey, Finland

Slovakia are top and have a 100% record in their Euro qualifying group which features Spain and Ukraine so I wouldn't say they are too bad.  Scotland will always give England a bit of trouble just because of the rivalry.  The other 3 shouldn't cause many issues, but it isn't the easiest group that England could have got, even if it's not the worst!

Honestly not a bad group for Norway. They'll meander their way out of qualification like usual but I think there's a glimmer of hope in that group.

Meanwhile, it's a cakewalk to the Hexagonal for the USA. On the other hand, the Costa Rica/Panama/probably Jamaica/probably Haiti group is absolutely brutal.

Edited by GoGo Yubari

Brutal is that Group A for Europe as well. Holland, France and Sweden all in the same group.

Portugal's could be difficult going for them, especially if Ronaldo has retired from internationals from then. 

I'd think he would have one more WC left in him. He'll be 33 in 2018.

• Like 1