March Madness Thread

The Wisconsin/Kentucky media narrative is going to be hilariously stereotypical. The "scrappy little gym rats" versus the "superior athletes".

That was the narrative last year too.

Actually the narrative should be Wisconsin being a point away last year. They should have won that and they should have won the title.

The Wisconsin/Kentucky media narrative is going to be hilariously stereotypical. The "scrappy little gym rats" versus the "superior athletes".

That was the narrative last year too.

Actually the narrative should be Wisconsin being a point away last year. They should have won that and they should have won the title.

I barely paid attention to the tournament last year once Memphis went out, which was obviously early. I just remember UConn beating Cal thankfully.

Unless the finals end up being Michigan State vs. Wisconsin, I doubt I'll watch. I can't stand that used car salesman John Calipari, and I hate Duke with the passion of a thousand suns.

That said, I'd almost guarantee a Duke/Kentucky showdown, just because the sports gods like to see if I stick with my word.

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge get for Texas tonight. Shaka Smart, the now former coach of VCU, has agreed to become the Longhorns new head coach for what I can only assume a small fortune. A few years ago I thought he was crazy for staying at VCU after their Final Four birth, but now he has pretty much everything he needs to win a title at his disposal, and though I haven't seen any numbers, I'm assuming he's going to be one of the highest paid coaches in the sport.

Oh and Stanford just beat Miami in the NIT final.

Michael Irvin was going crazy during the NIT championship lol.

Shaka was always going to leave at some point. He hit the plateau at VCU and got out before his stock started to drop. He'll likely have the Horns regularly playing in the tournament, which is what Barnes did, but Smart might be a better in-game coach as opposed to just a top-notch recruiter. Now comes the bidding war when Ryan retires from Wisconsin in a few years as Smart is a Wisconsin native.

Gregg Marshall is staying at Wichita State, I have to wonder what it will take to get him out of that job.

Also, as an aside. The football and basketball head coaches at Texas are both African-American. Progress!

• Like 1

I think if Texas wanted Marshall, he would have gone there but leaving Wichita State for Alabama would have been a terrible move. He can wait it out and get a better job in a year or two. Or he can continue to leverage that interest to get a raise every year. Seems win-win for him.

And I'd be curious what happens with Wisconsin after Ryan leaves. They're rapidly becoming a stronger basketball school than football so Alvarez may be inclined to open up the checkbook a little more to get his guy but I could just as easily (moreso in fact since they've never gone after big names) see them promoting from within or a coach from a smaller school.