Recommend me Phillip K. Dick books

VerbalPuke

I've never read any Phillip K. Dick books. On another forum somebody mentioned they were a big fan of his, and I realized people here had spoken about him before. It was then I realized that Total Recall was based off of one of his short stories. I read some basic rundowns of some of his books and really thought they sounded interesting considering I'm not a big Sci-Fi guy. I was really interested in that he seems to write a lot of dystopian type of shit, and I lap that stuff up.

So far I'd say The Man in the High Castle, Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?, Flow My Tears, the Policeman said, A Scanner Darkly, and a Maze of Death looked really fascinating. Of course, I also would like to read the story Total Recall is based off of, so yeah.

Any other must reads? Should I get the books individually, or would I be better off with just a large compilation (I saw a three book set of his stuff on Amazon).

I was going to put this in the "What Did You Read Today?" topic, but it's not been posted in since November.

We Can Remember It For You Wholesale

Better known for it's film adaptation as Total Recall.

Note: There are no 3-boobed chicks in this one :shifty:

I've read 'The Man in the High Castle' and 'The Penultimate Truth'.

TMHC has a number of plot strands that are tied only loosely together (i.e. most will only cross-over in one short scene. There's actually one character who has has zero interaction with the other parts of the story, and gets linked only because she happens to be the ex-wife of another character). I spent my time reading it in expectation of some grand event/twist that would tie a lot of it together...but it never happened. The closest thing is a book which gets mentioned by most (all?) of the characters at one point or other, but meh. Hence, I found it rather uneven.

Anyway, it was interesting in an alternative-history sense but I can't really rave about it. Put it in the "might as well read at some point if you have time" pile.

TPT was much more familiar sci-fi/dystopian fare and had a much more 'focused' (or should I say 'well-rounded'?) narrative. I've seen the ending described as a bit of a bitch-slap, but I think if you're going to read Philip K. Dick books then you're going to have to come to accept anti-climaxes. :shifty: I rather liked the ending though, even if it is only given to you via implication.

So I would certainly recommend TPT...even though I must accompany this with the warning of "you will probably hate the ending". :P