EWB's Top 27 Movies of 2014

GoGo Yubari

There were more of these last year, weren't there? Sorry about the delay. I AM BUSY AND IMPORTANT.

9OntbzP.png

27. The Theory of Everything (9 points, appeared on two ballots)

7U1a4Yz.jpg

26. Edge of Tomorrow (9 points, appeared on five ballots

cOAdNSo.png

24 (tie). Foxcatcher (10 points, appeared on two ballots)

dAFF5Lq.jpg

24 (tie). The Imitation Game (10 points, appeared on two ballots)

pj3CToV.png

23. The Raid 2 (11 points, appeared on two ballots)

e4hMQCk.png

22. The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 (11 points, appeared on four ballots)

wl34oxX.png

21. The Skeleton Twins (12 points, appeared on two ballots)

Next Time on EWB's Top 27 Movies of 2014: Are you trying to shit me, Governor Wallace? Are you trying to fuck over your president?

Good start.

Theory of Everything - I still think it looks majorly hokey and just generally uninteresting to me. I'd rather read about Stephen Hawking than watch a movie like this, really.

Edge of Tomorrow - Really want to see it, and will probably watch it one of these days.

Foxcatcher - This is in the same boat as Edge of Tomorrow, but moreso.

The Imitation Game - It deserves to be much higher. Solid story and great acting. Top 10? No, but worthy of being in the Top 15 easy.

The Raid 2 - I have The Raid lying around here somewhere and still have yet to see it. I should probably get around to doing so.

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - I found the movie to be a major disappointment and setback from the very good second installment. Hopefully, Part 2 is much better and combining both last parts would make it cohesive and feel like a real movie.

The Skeleton Twins - This can be found in the same boat as Edge of Tomorrow and Foxcatcher.

Theory of Everything is an average movie that's excellently acted.

Edge of Tomorrow is way fun and I kind of wish I threw a point its way. It does a great job of not just being "Groundhog Day goes to war" and feels more like a dude trying to work his way through a particularly rough video game over and over and over again. The Many Deaths of Tom Cruise montage is the best.

Foxcatcher is good but nothing I'll remember a year from now. I did get to see it at a really old, run-down theater that hasn't switched over to digital, though, and that was the perfect venue for it. Great acting.

Haven't seen more than brief two-minute chunks of the rest. My apathy towards Benedict Cumberbatch is probably a factor with Imitation Game. I'll probably see it in the next week or two.

Theory of Everything has nothing outside of the amazing performance by Eddie Redmayne and great performances by everyone else.

In the same boat with GoGo about Edge of Tomorrow as well, it was like watching a really great video game starring Tom Cruise. Solid action.

Foxcatcher was pretty good, really great performance from Mark Ruffalo and especially Channing Tatum.

The Imitation Game was so cookie-cutter and average. Not a single thing about it felt fresh or new in any way.

The Raid 2 is fucking exceptional and probably the best action movie of 2014, including John Wick. Those fight scenes were fucking amazing, right from the beginning.

Mockingjay sucked. What a fucking huge disappointment.

Haven't seen the Skeleton Twins, probably never will, it's so far down my watchlist.

The Edge of Tomorrow is way better than I thought it had any right to be. If Tom Cruise hadn't of been in so may crappy sic-fi movies lately, it would have done a lot better. Plus, it's the best Emily Blunt has been in anything in forever.

Foxcatcher being so low is sad because it was such a great movie and featured just so many great performances. I just wish it had gotten a wider release.

Will I ever stick to a daily update schedule on this? WE'LL SEE PROBABLY NOT IT'S COMIC CON THIS WEEKEND.

m6SeO9M.png

20. Godzilla (12 points, appeared on three ballots)

dF4RiaI.png

19. 300: Rise of an Empire (13 points, appeared on three ballots)

8PcQmbX.png

18. Two Days, One Night (15 points, appeared on two ballots)

QzeA7KU.png

17. How to Train Your Dragon 2 (17 points, appeared on three ballots)

tDLlLH6.png

16. Selma (19 points, appeared on four ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 27 Movies of 2014: I just thought there would be more.

Godzilla isn't that good. The first half hour and last half hour are both great, and then there's like a solid hour and a half of Aaron Taylor-Johnson's godawful American accent.

• Like 1

Godzilla is super freaking fun, I loved that it wasn't just scene after scene of Godzilla, he was used sparingly and it worked for me, made every time he did appear super special and got me super excited.

300 is the opposite, not fucking fun at all. Changing the battle to a navy one made it suck balls, although there was one that was pretty damn fun. Also, Sullivan Stapleton has to be one of the worst actors to lead a major studio blockbuster film.

Two Days, One Night is fucking fantastic. It shook me, made me question what I would do in similar situations, and made me both depressed and happy at the same time. I loved it.

How to Train Your Dragon 2 was a very nice surprise. I thought it was going to be another Dreamworks sequel cash-in, but they managed to lift the film's universe and make it bigger and larger and more characteristic. The expansion of the world made it so fun.

Selma was absolutely outstanding. David Oyelowo deserved all the praise, and the directing and the way it was shot was so damn beautiful. It was one of my favorite films of 2014 for sure.

Godzilla - I don't know, I really enjoyed it. Sure, it wasn't as focused as maybe it should've been on Godzilla, but it was really fun and Bryan Cranston totes makes up for Aaron Taylor-Johnson's accent.

300 - Ugh. Way too high on this list. I mean, I didn't see it, but I just know it is. That looked awful.

Two Days, One Night - Haven't seen it. Probably should.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 - I haven't seen yet, but I also haven't seen the first one.

Selma - I'm dying to see it.

I mean, I'm not saying "NEEDS MORE GODZILLA," I'm saying that some degree of effort should have been put into making the non-Cranston humans interesting if we were going to spend 80% of the movie with them. Ken Watanabe was alright but I'm not sure how much of that is just that he's Ken Watanabe.

I mean, I'm not saying "NEEDS MORE GODZILLA," I'm saying that some degree of effort should have been put into making the non-Cranston humans interesting if we were going to spend 80% of the movie with them. Ken Watanabe was alright but I'm not sure how much of that is just that he's Ken Watanabe.

How could you hate one-liner guy? That guy was awesome!

"Guess we monsta huntas now!"

• Like 2

Selma was good but the way film makers just decided to alter the story to fit a narrative bothers me. I know it happens in movies all the time but it really diminishes the work that Lyndon Johnson did on Civil Rights and forgets that Johnson's mastery of Senate procedure from his days as Senate Majority Leader is what helped get that bill to be signed into law. Plus, I love Tom Wilkinson but he just decided he was going portray LBJ as an old British guy really took me out of his performance. It's a very good movie but I think 16th is a good spot for it, middle of the road.