EWB's Top 27 Movies of 2014

GoGo Yubari

Like I said in my ballot I haven't seen a lot of the Oscar contenders yet so I've only seen a couple of these.

Edge of Tomorrow was great and may be one of the worst marketed movies ever. Tom Cruise's average sci-fi movies wouldn't have been an issue had they not marketed Edge of Tomorrow like one (which it isn't).

As Benkid pointed out, The Raid 2 is fucking awesome. It's a little (okay another hour is a lot) longer than the first and the plot can get a little muddled and nonsensical in parts but the action is just as, if not more, intense.

I liked Gozilla. I understand some of the complaints about it but the sense of atmosphere that Edwards built into the world just made everything work for me.

I am slooooooowly emerging out of my post-con hangover. Doing non-"show up at your jobs" things I was supposed to do! Regaining focus! Hello! How are you.

bOrYSFL.png

15. John Wick (26 points, appeared on four ballots)

oTrWGMx.png

14. The Guest (31 points, appeared on five ballots)

4K6lSS4.jpg

13. Big Hero 6 (33 points, appeared on five ballots

Q81ER6g.png

12. Boyhood (48 points, appeared on six ballots)

IpBbCDV.png

11. Interstellar (48 points, appeared on seven ballots)

Next time on EWB's Top 27 Movies of 2014: You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed, that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it.

All 5 great movies.

John Wick is probably the second best action movie of 2014, behind the Raid 2. The fight scenes were absolutely batshit crazy, but then so was the plot, but both were crazy in a super good way. The final fight was totally unnecessary, though, just rolled my eyes at that whole thing.

The Guest gave me my most satisfying WTF movie experience of 2014, I believe. Another silly, crazy plot, but so much fun.

Big Hero 6 was heartwarming and charming in every single way. So much creativity and fun shit all over this one. And the after-credits scene was fucking glorious.

Boyhood was plain and simple the best movie of 2014. Just about perfect. In no way should it be this low, should undoubtedly be number one, it is simply fucking magnificent.

Interstellar was absolutely fucking jaw-dropping. Absolute embodiment of what cinema should be, a feast for the eyes and the ears.

That was the best group of 5 yet.

John Wick isn't out here yet :( I've wanted to see it for ages!

I missed both The Guest and Big Hero 6, after having planned to see them.

Boyhood looked like one big gimmick and I never cared to watch it.

Interstellar was a fantastic spectacle, even if I thought the ending got a little weird. It all made sense though, to a degree, which is the important thing in films like this.

Two Days, One Night is definitely worth people's times. I love the way that The Dardenne's make films, and Cotillard is out of this world in the lead role. I was re-watching parts of it the other week for inspiration, it's just so well made.

Absolutely loved The Guest as well. A wonderful surprise, and probably the most fun film I watched all year.

Big Hero 6 is awesome, and Boyhood is fantastic!

Missed Interstellar, should catch it in a cinema at some point next month, hopefully. Feels like a cinema film to me.

• Like 1

What's this updates two days in a row WHAT IS HAPPENING

QsTmVK2.jpg

10. 22 Jump Street (48 points, appeared on nine ballots)

v5CKgDb.png

9. The Grand Budapest Hotel (56 points, appeared on nine ballots)

QkjJXoY.png

8. Gone Girl (57 points, appeared on eleven ballots)

THBaD2f.png

7. X-Men: Days of Future Past (62 points, appeared on eleven ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 27 Movies of 2014: On your left.

Off the top of my head, there's the two MCU movies, Birdman and Whiplash, the LEGO Movie, and something else. I can't quite place what that is (this could be due to me getting 2013 and 2014 mixed up quite a bit). I think it's either Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Muppets Most Wanted or Under the Skin.

Or the Spiderman movie.

Yeah, when I was loosely following the count before, I'm pretty sure it was Guardians, Whiplash, Birdman, Lego Movie, Nightcrawler, and I wanna say Winter Soldier was the other Marvel one? I missed it whatever it was. Can't remember the order, but given the number of 1st place votes it had, anything other than Guardians coming first will surprise me.

If I remember correctly, it was Birdman and GotG that were vying it out for first place. Then GotG burst ahead. That's what my loose count a few weeks ago produced, if I recall. And yeah, Winter Soldier is the other one.

This year is going to be even more fun, actually. Besides Age of Ultron winning, it's going to be interesting to see how much the other franchise movies can keep up. I'm predicting that Spectre and Jurassic World will be near the top, though.