EWB's Top 27 Movies of 2014

GoGo Yubari

Gonna be at least one movie in here that people had pegged for top 3.

ZhbOu5a.png

6. Nightcrawler (64 points, appeared on nine ballots)

bPji5Rr.jpg

5. Captain America: The Winter Soldier (67 points, appeared on nine ballots)

0sJFPng.png

4. Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (85 points, appeared on twelve ballots)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 27 Movies of 2014: Look at this thing. It thinks it's so cool. It's not cool to ask for help! Walk by yourself, you little gargoyle!

If I'd seen enough movies to put together a proper ballot, Big Hero 6 would've been my #1. Seeing it lower than X-Men Days of Future RAVEN RAVEN DON'T DO THIS RAVEN RAVEN YOU HAVE TO TRUST ME RAVEN GET OUT OF MY HEAD CHARLES CHARLES I HAVE TO DO THIS CHARLES FOR OUR PEOPLE CHARLES is just sad.

• Like 2

Fucking hell, dude, finish it already.

96WmDrj.png

3. The LEGO Movie (94 points, appeared on 16 ballots)

o0tvo8E.png

2. Whiplash (105 points, appeared on thirteen ballots)

p6xMeFy.png

1. Guardians of the Galaxy (190 points, appeared on twenty-two ballots)

Yeah this one was never in doubt. Not even for a second. I can't fully remember now but I think it was basically on all but one ballot? Thanks to everyone who voted, and see y'all next year for The One That Avengers 2 Probably Wins.

• Like 1

I think all of the films that finished 4th to 6th should be above Lego, but that is still a damned fine list in the end.

The LEGO movie was fun but it being third is a bit much if you ask me.

Birdman was good but it was 20 minutes too long. I think they could have cut one of the preview days and still accomplished everything they did. Hollywood loves movies about itself so that's why it won Best Picture.

I enjoyed Guardians the most but if I had to choose the "best" movie of 2014 it would be Whiplash or Foxcatcher.

Birdman was good but it was 20 minutes too long. I think they could have cut one of the preview days and still accomplished everything they did. Hollywood loves movies about itself so that's why it won Best Picture.

Too true. That's why Hugo, Ed Wood, Bowfinger, The Player, Sunset Boulevard, and countless others also won Best Picture. I'm glad you have strong insight into this.

• Like 2

I liked Foxcatcher but it's far from the best film of last year, there were just other films that were so, so much better than it.

List is hard to complain about, though. It got nearly all my top 10 in, I think, even if I had to manipulate my own list and do some politicking to get the lesser known ones in :P

Best part is that American Sniper didn't make it anywhere close to this list.

Worst part is that Paddington didn't, either :(

Why do people like Foxcatcher so much? That might be in my bottom 10 films of the year. I can't comment on Whiplash. I haven't seen it but it doesn't look like something I would like

Give Whiplash a go. I didn't think I'd like it either, and it was amazing. I know you don't tend to like the Oscar-y type movies, and I assure you this is far from Oscar bait like Imitation Game, etc. It's just a really good movie. (I agree that Foxcatcher was rather flat overall)

WERE YOU RUSHING OR WERE YOU DRAGGING

Yeah I just meant the Oscar-bait ones. Nightcrawler is just another really good movie that only got a nomination for screenplay I believe, while it deserved Best Picture and Best Actor looks.

Best acting category was crazy competitive once again this year. It's actually a shame that, on the whole, the standard of films isn't as high as the acting in them. Something like The Imitation Game could've been really special if everything was on par with the acting.

I thought it was hilarious that Birdman won awards in like every major category except the acting. It was pretty deserving for Best Director, but the screenplay honestly has some stretches where the dialogue is actually kind of awful. Any time Edward Norton and Emma Stone are on screen for the same time, for example.

Part of it is probably that I've now had to do theater checks on that movie for three full months, though.