MLB: The Show 15

Meacon Keaton

How many games would we be expected to play in this? I like the idea of it being almost like an interactive baseball mogul league with some games sprinkled in but I'm so bad at this game I'd hate to be getting slaughtered relentlessly.

So I started the download last Thursday, it took until the wee hours of Sunday morning to finally fully download and I've been hooked ever since, I've been trying to squeeze in as much playtime as I can ever since (Begrudgingly I've had to eat, sleep and watch NXT this week)

Road to the Show... Every sports game developer should be forced to play RTTS because it's far and away the best career mode I've ever played. As I posted before I used to get The Show just for RTTS and as Macon predicted I wasn't let down. Just glorious.

Highlight: Getting called up to AAA after making the AA All Star game based on stats (Only used to get called up due to injury) and a few games later smacking my first AAA Homer in the top of the 10th that would end up winning it.

Question: I'm not hip to the minor league system but are the players in the minors in RTTS real or fictional? Can they be edited?

Gameplay wise it's even better than before, I can actually hit the gaps in this one. I still get a decent amount of balls straight to the fielders/deep fly outs but far less bullshit magnetic fielding outs that used to make me rage.

On the flip side of that coin, I'm actually not making it to every ball and I'll occasionally drop a ball as an outfielder, Especially if I'm trying to make a play on a ball that goes over my head, Might be just the default camera but I'm actually enjoying the challenge. Feels more minor league than before.

Umpiring mistakes! You get away with them sometimes and sometimes they burn you. Great little detail

I can actually steal this year! I'm slowly picking it up but it works well, Obviously will have to bump up the speed and steal ratings when I get called to the bigs but so far so good (The base stealing training really helped with this) I do have a gripe that my AI teammates never seem to tag up even when the deep fly is could obviously advance them, They just sit there and wait for the ball to hit the glove before going back to the bag.

Don't start me on baserunning outside of RTTS, I suck at it.

I still suck at drawing walks, I get one every so often but I take way more called 3rd strikes.

Licensed gear is awesome as predicted, Makes me really want to press on in RTTS to earn the good stuff. Wish they had the Under Armour option for the sleeves rather than just Nike Pro Combat but a miniscule gripe in the grand scheme of things.

Diamond Dynasty is really good too, Which is a shame because it draws my attention from RTTS and vice versa. The fact that there's no contracts automatically makes it better than Madden or FIFA's version and the Ryback method of training your custom player is actually enjoyable.

Created Team for DD is right up my alley too, Hope we get a logo importer somewhere down the track, Would help my creation out a fair bit.

Haven't touched any other mode yet but I suppose they might get some play in time.

Now just looking forward to finishing work and getting to play some more :D

Three AAA starts, three complete games. Knowing how certain pitches move has helped me work around the mid-to-late inning changes.

Tip: look up how certain pitches are supposed to operate before choosing them. 2SFB moves differently from 4SFB, which moves differently than a Cut Fastball. Baseball: all about dat research.

Three AAA starts, three complete games. Knowing how certain pitches move has helped me work around the mid-to-late inning changes.

Tip: look up how certain pitches are supposed to operate before choosing them. 2SFB moves differently from 4SFB, which moves differently than a Cut Fastball. Baseball: all about dat research.

Okay, tips pitching!

4 seam fastball: Power pitchers crutch pitch. Has very little movement, very high velocity. Throw it often; start with it, and if you have a good and fast 4 seamer, you can use it as a punch out pitch as well. Don't throw it high to sluggers, as that is pretty much suicide.

2 seam fastball: Late moving fastball. Not as fast as a four seamer, is better for mixing it up and for getting outs. If you have a four seamer, mix the two, throw the four then the two, the movement will usually result in a limp ground ball. Great ground ball pitch, throw it low and watch players pound sand with it.

Cut fastball: The Mariano special, if you have enough movement and speed you will shatter bats. Throw it high in the strike zone for fouls and broken bats, low in the strike zone for ground outs. Has quick, sharp, limited lateral movement.

Slider: Entry level breaking pitch. Has lateral movement like a cutter but much more pronounced. Can span the entire plate laterally so be aware where you throw it versus where it ends up. Great pitch for ground outs, but if you leave it soft, it'll get annihilated.

Sinker: Like a two seamer with a weight on it, when it starts moving it drops hard. Not as fast as a two seamer but has a lot more drop to it. If you have a good sinker pitcher you should throw this pitch about 2/3rds of the time, it is super effective at producing ground outs.

Splitter: Almost like a sinker on steroids, the drop on this pitch is significant. Watch out when throwing it low, it has a tendency to end up in the dirt. Can lead to wild pitches, but if you have a good, fast, tight dropping splitter, it will cause lots of swing throughs. Definite punch out pitch if you have a good one.

Curve: There are a couple different curves, 4/3, 12/6. 16/9, etc, plus the palm ball and the slurve. Curve mechanics traditionally emphasize a looping arc of movement; no sudden drops like with other moving pitches but rather a deliberate, but considerable, movement arc. Ratio indicates watch positions, so judge the way it moves based on that. Slurve has more lateral movement; palm ball is a change up curve, even slower than a normal curve. Curves are slower, so they are good for mixing speeds, but keep them down; center of the plate curves are juicy targets for sluggers.

Change up: Varying pitch speeds can make a huge difference and if you have a change up as a 2/3 pitch you have a lot more versatility than if it's all gas all the time. Jumping from fastball to change up to fastball makes the timing of opposing hitters all discombobulated, especially if you're playing humans. Mix in low changes, and if you're trying to paint corners, changes work great for that too. Don't throw them high, they're easier to time than high heat.

Circle change: If you have one of these and it's good, you can get a lot of outs with out. Imagine the movement of a 2 seam fastball, the way it drops off. Now slow it down. The circle change, if you mix it in with fastballs, can be lethal, because not only is it a change of speed, but that late drop off can cause someone who thinks they have timed it up to swing and wiff. If you have a pitcher who has a 4 seamer, 2 seamer, and circle change (Pedro had these in The Show 06-whenever he retired) you can dominate.

• Like 2

What am I missing? There's a screwball, who like two people throw, the gyroball which is made up... knuckleballs I guess?

I don't have The Show 15 so I don't know what pitches they've added but if you have specific questions or "Which pitch (does thing) better, pitch A or pitch B"? I could probably help.

Screwball, forkball, Vulcan curve, there's a running 4 seam fastball this year too.

Screwball is just a slider that breaks in the opposite direction, isn't it?

Screwball is weird. It has antithetical movement in that yes, it moves opposite the slider, but it has a drop to it too, almost like a reverse slurve. like a knuckleball the amount it moves is almost entirely random, sometimes it jitters, sometimes it falls off the table entirely. good fucking luck lining this pitch up.

Forkball is a split fingered fastball, it has a sharp vertical drop.

Vulcan grip is a split fingered, palm grip. the change up drops slightly, the curve drops more.

Running fastballs break like a cutter, but I have never seen anyone in the show games with an rfb that doesn't suck. Usually lefty relievers have it.

Knuckleball is like a screwball only the direction of the break is reversed. Still very random as to when and how sharply it breaks. Knuckleballs are fun to watch come to the plate because of the way they dance, but good luck trying to hit them consistently.

• Like 2