MLB: The Show 15

Meacon Keaton

Downloaded the 150 Top Prospects roster and started a franchise because I hate having to wait. And I am that impatient. I'll probably start again come Knights roster release but this is getting me familiar with the game and getting my dynamic rating where it should be for when I start my for eternity franchise.

• Like 2

Is there anything in particular that you want to understand?

I guess base movement - when it is most appropriate to steal, to bunt, to sacrifice a player?

Also, pitching - when do I intentionally walk someone, for example?

Pitch counts as well - how should they affect my strategy as a pitcher? Batter?

Just mostly the nuances - I get that the batter is trying to hit the ball and the pitcher is trying to strike him out, after all :shifty:

I guess base movement - when it is most appropriate to steal, to bunt, to sacrifice a player?

All are good situations if you are early in the inning (less than two out.) I try to only steal with guys who have a Speed rating > 80. Bunting works best if you have a weaker hitter up and a fast guy on base. Sacrificing is similar to bunting, but can be used with slower guys on base.

If there is no runner on third and a particularly good hitter comes up, you may want to consider walking him. Especially if you know a weak hitter (like the pitcher) is up after him.

Generally, starters can give you anywhere between 75-100 pitches. Not everyone's a workhorse like Madison Bumgarner. Pay attention to how accurate your pitches are. If you think you've done well in timing the pitch but it still goes way off target, you may want to get someone warmed up. Confidence can also affect a pitcher's performance, too. If someone just got rocked for a few runs, you may want to go ahead and consider replacing him.

As a batter, always try to maximize the number of pitches they have to throw. I personally take almost everything until there are two strikes. This will also give you a chance to see how certain pitchers' throwing motions play out and how good their pitches are (how fast the fastball, how much movement on an offspeed pitch, etc.)

Just mostly the nuances - I get that the batter is trying to hit the ball and the pitcher is trying to strike him out, after all :shifty:

Fun aside: not always the case. If a speedy runner is on first and the pitcher thinks they'll try to steal, the pitcher will send a fastball way outside so the catcher can quickly grab it and fire a throw to second.

Ah, baseball.

• Like 2

Ahhhh, this could be a book if you want...

Stealing is something that you're going to have to just get a feel for. If you're in a low scoring game, you may want to take more risks and try stealing than in a high scoring game. If you're whacking the ball all over the field in a game, don't worry about stealing. If you're in a 1-0 or 2-1 game, getting a runner from first to second is crucial. I very rarely, if ever, try to steal second to third. At that point the runner is already in scoring position and a base hit will likely score them. As Midget said, make sure you're actually using someone quick and has a decent steal rating or else it'll bite you in the ass. If you're running a franchise, make sure you have someone on your bench that has a high score in both categories that you can pinch run for later in the game.

Bunting is a bit of a lost art, though it seems to be coming back in style now that everybody isn't on steroids any more. Bunting is a perfect option if you have someone on first base, there are one or zero outs, and your base runner on first isn't fast enough to steal. The whole purpose is to get that base runner in scoring position. You're most likely going to get the batter out, so don't do it with two outs, and only do it with one out if the next batter is a good hitter. A rule of thumb I play by is that unless there are two outs, I'll always bunt with a pitcher if there is someone on base. If there is a runner on third, you could try to bunt or you could try a sacrifice fly. That all depends on the ratings of your hitter. If you have someone that can bunt, try a sac-bunt. If your batter has power, swing for the fences. Worst case scenario is he flies out and your runner can then tag up.

Intentionally walking is something else you'll get a feel for. If it's late in the game and you have two outs, or even one out and the current hitter is kind of slow, intentionally walking that guy to bring up a less lethal hitter can help you get out of the inning with no damage. Also if you have less than two outs and runners on second and third, try intentionally walking the batter so that there will be a forced out at any base, or the possibility of a double play should the ball be hit in the infield.

For pitch counts, when we're talking about your pitcher, it all depends on their stamina. Some pitchers can go 100+ pitches in an outing and be fine. Other pitchers get to 80 or so and start to peter out. Just get to know your staff and who you can ride to seven or more innings. Some guys will get you to the fifth or sixth and you'll need to rely on your bullpen. You'll know when he starts missing pitches out of the strike zone, or throwing meatballs right down the plate when you're trying to paint the corners. As for batting, try to run the pitch count up as much as possible. I'm guilty of swinging at the first pitch probably as much as anyone, but having discipline is very important. One of the greatest hitters ever, Ted Williams, had a rule where he would never swing the bat until he had two strikes. It's a good philosophy to have. You wear out the opposing pitcher and you're much more likely to get walked if you aren't hacking at everything right away. Keep in mind that most starting pitchers are better than whatever a team has in the bullpen, so wearing out that starter to get to their relievers is a smart move.

As for the last statement, it's not necessarily true all the time. Greg Maddux is one of the top-3 pitchers of my lifetime, and he didn't intend to strike everyone out. In fact, he pitched so well for as many years as he did because he was the best at pitch placement. He knew how to get guys to groundout with the location of his pitches. He didn't go out and throw 100+ pitches, because he didn't strike out more than five or six guys a game. Instead he gave the batters pitches low and inside or low and away (depending on the strengths of the batters) and forced them to swing at strikes that resulted into grounding out. So don't feel like you have to strike everyone out. But put the ball where they'll have trouble making strong contact with it and rely on your defense. It's what they're there for.

Sorry if I got a little long-winded and let me know if I didn't clarify anything or if I made it even more confusing. :shifty:

• Like 3

Ahhhh, this could be a book if you want...

Stealing is something that you're going to have to just get a feel for. If you're in a low scoring game, you may want to take more risks and try stealing than in a high scoring game. If you're whacking the ball all over the field in a game, don't worry about stealing. If you're in a 1-0 or 2-1 game, getting a runner from first to second is crucial. I very rarely, if ever, try to steal second to third. At that point the runner is already in scoring position and a base hit will likely score them. As Midget said, make sure you're actually using someone quick and has a decent steal rating or else it'll bite you in the ass. If you're running a franchise, make sure you have someone on your bench that has a high score in both categories that you can pinch run for later in the game.

Bunting is a bit of a lost art, though it seems to be coming back in style now that everybody isn't on steroids any more. Bunting is a perfect option if you have someone on first base, there are one or zero outs, and your base runner on first isn't fast enough to steal. The whole purpose is to get that base runner in scoring position. You're most likely going to get the batter out, so don't do it with two outs, and only do it with one out if the next batter is a good hitter. A rule of thumb I play by is that unless there are two outs, I'll always bunt with a pitcher if there is someone on base. If there is a runner on third, you could try to bunt or you could try a sacrifice fly. That all depends on the ratings of your hitter. If you have someone that can bunt, try a sac-bunt. If your batter has power, swing for the fences. Worst case scenario is he flies out and your runner can then tag up.

Intentionally walking is something else you'll get a feel for. If it's late in the game and you have two outs, or even one out and the current hitter is kind of slow, intentionally walking that guy to bring up a less lethal hitter can help you get out of the inning with no damage. Also if you have less than two outs and runners on second and third, try intentionally walking the batter so that there will be a forced out at any base, or the possibility of a double play should the ball be hit in the infield.

For pitch counts, when we're talking about your pitcher, it all depends on their stamina. Some pitchers can go 100+ pitches in an outing and be fine. Other pitchers get to 80 or so and start to peter out. Just get to know your staff and who you can ride to seven or more innings. Some guys will get you to the fifth or sixth and you'll need to rely on your bullpen. You'll know when he starts missing pitches out of the strike zone, or throwing meatballs right down the plate when you're trying to paint the corners. As for batting, try to run the pitch count up as much as possible. I'm guilty of swinging at the first pitch probably as much as anyone, but having discipline is very important. One of the greatest hitters ever, Ted Williams, had a rule where he would never swing the bat until he had two strikes. It's a good philosophy to have. You wear out the opposing pitcher and you're much more likely to get walked if you aren't hacking at everything right away. Keep in mind that most starting pitchers are better than whatever a team has in the bullpen, so wearing out that starter to get to their relievers is a smart move.

As for the last statement, it's not necessarily true all the time. Greg Maddux is one of the top-3 pitchers of my lifetime, and he didn't intend to strike everyone out. In fact, he pitched so well for as many years as he did because he was the best at pitch placement. He knew how to get guys to groundout with the location of his pitches. He didn't go out and throw 100+ pitches, because he didn't strike out more than five or six guys a game. Instead he gave the batters pitches low and inside or low and away (depending on the strengths of the batters) and forced them to swing at strikes that resulted into grounding out. So don't feel like you have to strike everyone out. But put the ball where they'll have trouble making strong contact with it and rely on your defense. It's what they're there for.

Sorry if I got a little long-winded and let me know if I didn't clarify anything or if I made it even more confusing. :shifty:

Sunday night can't come soon enough :)
  • Like 1

Those answers to Liam's questions are insanely helpful to me as well - so thanks!

I'm in much the same boat, and one thing I'm not so strong on is some of the stats and terminology. A couple that spring to mind;

Forced out - I'm guessing this is where someone gets out because they had to run, due to having a teammate running behind them?

I started my RTTS as a short stop, and am often involved in double plays at 2nd then 1st. What does the commentator mean when he says something like "and 6 to 4 to 3" as it's happening?

The last one is the stats for my batting at the end of a game. It shows each inning and how I did in each "at base". What do things like 9Y mean?

As I said, started a RTTS as a short stop. Didn't do great in the Rookie showcase and got drafted in Round 6, so went to a two year college for another crack and was drafted in Round 6 again, this time by the Braves.

Currently playing AA with Missisippi. We were something like 10-8 at one point, but have fallen back to 11-17. I was hitting at around .305 to start with, including a really satisfying HR with 2 on base. Got player of the match in that game and noticed my status change to "Future Big Leager" (Batting difficulty was even briefly at "Rookie+ Progess ++++). But since then my average has dropped to around .250 and I'm back to "Big League Hopeful".

Fielding feels like a fun mini game. It's really satisfying when you pull off a great play, but I find base running really dull.

All in all, the game is great - even for a non baseball fan. RTTS is really addictive since you can just blast through the games. I might try a franchise soon - I'll need to work out the league system first though!

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

Pretty sure you can turn base running off in RttS.

Also, a force out is what you think it is.

And the players on a team are numbered by position (different from their jersey numbers).

6-4-3 would be SS to 2B to 1B in the order the fielders touch thwith ball. 9Y is also how you got out. Not sure about the Y though? For example, if it was F9 it would mean fly out to number 9/right field (I think, one of the outfielders anyway). Could also by P9 for a pop out or L for a lineout. Or FC for fielders choice which is when you are already on base and the fielders get you you out instead of the batter when they hit it. I'm sure there are a bunch more but that's just a few.

I haven't read shortguy's reply so if his advice is better than mine fuck him.

Steal: Depends on what base you want to steal, really. You have to have someone who is fast to steal second and you have to have someone who is REALLY fast to steal third since it's a much shorter throw. Steal on low, slow pitches if possible; trying to steal on a high fastball is a bad idea. Don't steal on a full count. And don't steal with two outs. I personally never both stealing third; much more likely to knock the guy in from second then successfully steal and then hit a ball that wouldn't have knocked the guy in from second anyway. Basically, steal early in the inning and early in the count to get a man on second.

Bunt: You can bunt for a hit if your guy is fast and they aren't lined up for it. Try it on 0-1, 1-0, 1-1 counts. Don't try it with two strikes, that is idiotic. Sac bunts should be reserved for dudes with no power, like pitchers. When you have a man on second it is fine to waste the pitcher at bat to get him to third, slightly less valuable to get him to second, but the pitcher almost never produces a hit you can get two bases on and is more likely to strike out, so sac bunt your first two strikes then swing away and hope for the best with two strike counts.

Two situations:

If there is a runner on base and the dude coming to bat has serious home run power, it's sometimes a better idea to give him a base. If the dude on base is on second and first is open it's almost a no brainer. If there is a runner on base and the hitter up on base is decent, but the dude behind him blows/is the pitcher, it can sometimes be worth it to bypass the good hitter and try and deal with the sucky one. Look at his .avg and hr numbers and decide which is the riskier move. Free base runners can come back to kill you, but you're more likely to get wiped out by longball.

If you end up behind in the count, 3-0 or 3-1, to a good hitter, it's sometimes worth it to just throw an intentional ball and start over with a fresh count. You could be looking at 5-10 pitches, if he fouls off a bunch of strikes, in order to try and strike the guy out. Sometimes you should just cut your losses. You can pitch much stronger from ahead in the count than you can from behind. Nothing would suck more, as well, than to throw another 5-6 pitches and walk the dude anyway. Remember; pitcher stamina is a resource, if you waste it, you will regret it.

Pitching: If you are ahead in the count, you are in control. I always have a four pitch plan to get out of an at bat; start with a low fastball, then a high fastball, then a curveball low, etc etc etc. You can modify your plan on the go if you miss with a pitch but generally I stick to it. That said, the plan always assumes that you will get a strike with your first pitch, so your first pitch is usually a fastball in the strike zone. You will sometimes hear the commentators say "the first pitch is often the best one you will see as a hitter". I am the pitcher they are talking about. -_- When you are up in the count, you can pitch fancy; movement from out of the zone in, nipping at corners, getting out your paintbrush, chin music if you feel inclined. It's when you're behind that you have to pitch straightforward and keep it in the strike zone. If you are ahead in the count, you are in control. Remember that.

Batting: Disregard all of the above.

Pitch 1: 80% of the time it will be a fastball and 80% of the time, it will be a strike. Guess fastball, guess low. If it's a low fastball you are golden, if it's a fastball at all you are set, if it's not either, watch it go by.

Pitch 2 (after a ball): This will be a strike zone fastball about 85-90% of the time, so follow the above advice.

Pitch 2 (after you take a strike): The pitcher is in command now, so he can do what he wants. Watch the corners and low. Guess fastball again, it will be right about 60% of the time, but be patient; he can afford to throw junk.

Two strike counts: If you whiffed or watched two go by, don't worry. You can still get on base. Don't bother guessing pitches or locations, you aren't trying to blast the ball now, just make contact. Watch the pitchers hand. By now you have a sense for the timing of his release to the plate, so your timing should be okay. Watch where his release is vertically and try and decide where the pitch is going, location wise. Don't panic; the more you miss the more you learn. You're only in trouble if you really need runs.

Three ball counts: Go back to the advice from pitch one but only swing if it's in the strike zone. Obviously this is for a 3-0 or a 3-1 count and not a 3-2 count, for which you should use the above advice.

Oh you meant pitch counts pitch counts, oops. >_>

• Like 1

Pretty sure you can turn base running off in RttS.

Also, a force out is what you think it is.

And the players on a team are numbered by position (different from their jersey numbers).

6-4-3 would be SS to 2B to 1B in the order the fielders touch thwith ball. 9Y is also how you got out. Not sure about the Y though? For example, if it was F9 it would mean fly out to number 9/right field (I think, one of the outfielders anyway). Could also by P9 for a pop out or L for a lineout. Or FC for fielders choice which is when you are already on base and the fielders get you you out instead of the batter when they hit it. I'm sure there are a bunch more but that's just a few.

Yeah I think it was F9 - good to know, thank you!

When you press R2 to guess a pitch, and get it right, does it just increase your chance of a hit? Should I be combining it with anything else?

Also, what's generally considered a good average? When I was .300+ it seemed like I had one of the better averages on my team?

Edit - Last question, promise... I haven't heard the "radio show" in my RTTS yet. Do you have to be playing in the Majors to get it?

Edited by Whisper in the Wind

I would say .280 is a decent average and anything above .300 is really good but I may be wrong. Also, there is a term used called the Mendoza line that sits at .200 which basically means if you can't hit over that you shouldn't be on the field no matter how great you are at defense.

I'm also not positive on the others, but it seems like if you guess the pitch right you're going to get solid contact if the timing is right (where as if you time it right without guessing the pitch sometimes you get poor results anyway, such as a pop up to the catcher) so it helps in that sense.

Edited by Trey