Summer Transfer Window Thread 2015

Rich

I don't think nigh on £30 million is sensible for a 29-year-old centre half. It is Ramos, one of the best, but all the same. Man Utd are now a team that just chuck money around looking for the quick fix, it seems.

Who would you suggest that is younger?

As Baddar said, Varane isn't happening. Otamendi would likely cost £40m+ and appears to be Madrid bound anyway. Hummels seems to flit between "I'm staying" and "lol leaving, sorry" on a daily basis. Someone like Laporte would be a gamble and entirely not the type of player we need right now.

Ramos makes the most sense from a football point of view. We have guys like Smalling and Jones who are never going to progress unless they get to play regularly and alongside an established, experienced centre half.

I don't actually like Ramos but there's no doubting he's one of the best around at the moment and he would be physically able to deal with the Premier League. 3 or 4 years out of him is well worth it in my opinion, especially if he helps to develop the likes of Jones et al.

He's also approximately 10000 times more comfortable on the ball than any of our back 4, which LVG will love.

The only problem I have with the move, is that it won't be just £30m. That fee will inevitably rise closer to £40m by the time Real accept an offer.

Having said aalll that, I still think this will all end with him getting a new deal at Madrid.

• Like 1

Ramos would be a fantastic signing. United finished 4th with their worst denesive unit ever barring the Moyes year.

Him being 29 isn't really an issue when John Terry is absolutely bossing it at nearly 35.

I heard a good point from Jamie Carragher. 15-20 years ago, there were a wealth of 'world class' centre halves around. How many are there now? Less than 10 who you could genuinely put in that top bracket?

Ramos is definitely one of those and (it appears) could actually be available. No brainer, really.

I heard a good point from Jamie Carragher. 15-20 years ago, there were a wealth of 'world class' centre halves around. How many are there now? Less than 10 who you could genuinely put in that top bracket?

Ramos is definitely one of those and (it appears) could actually be available. No brainer, really.

Probably just my rose-tinted glasses, but it feels like there's not nearly as many world class players full stop currently. Either that or the top tier players are that far ahead of the next tier it just seems that way.

Probably just my rose-tinted glasses, but it feels like there's not nearly as many world class players full stop currently. Either that or the top tier players are that far ahead of the next tier it just seems that way.

I think it's more that the standard of football in general has improved. By that I mean, the technical ability - doesn't necessarily make it better or more exciting. The gap between the "top" players and lesser players is much smaller now I think - Messi and Ronaldo being the obvious outliers.

In the 90s, all the top international sides had a "star" player. Zidane for France, Ronaldo for Brazil, Raul for Spain. Nowadays the best teams have 4 or 5 players who are technically on that level.

Tl;dr - I think that we have great teams now, rather than great individual players. I don't know if it's down to the money in the game but, for me, football lacks the 'characters' it used to have.

Jamie Carragher is also taking credit for Nathaniel Clyne signing for Liverpool.

Jamie Carragher thinks he is the dogs bollocks.

Jamie Carragher actually talks a load of bollocks.

Jamie Carragher is also taking credit for Nathaniel Clyne signing for Liverpool.

Jamie Carragher thinks he is the dogs bollocks.

Jamie Carragher actually talks a load of bollocks.

Are you referring to the tweet? Because that couldn't have been less serious if he tried.

I'm referring to this:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9895132/nathaniel-clyne-will-be-a-great-buy-for-liverpool-says-jamie-carragher

and he is quoted as saying:

"I saw Nathaniel Clyne at St Mary's after a game last season and told him to sign for LFC – he took my advice!"

The guy's a douche, a very talented footballer, still a douche.

• Like 1

I'm referring to this:

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9895132/nathaniel-clyne-will-be-a-great-buy-for-liverpool-says-jamie-carragher

and he is quoted as saying:

"I saw Nathaniel Clyne at St Mary's after a game last season and told him to sign for LFC – he took my advice!"

The guy's a douche, a very talented football, still a douche.

Yeah that's the tweet quotes. It was very much tongue in cheek.

Nah, there is an absolute dearth of quality defensive players at the minute. I honestly think it's due to TV, TV is money and TV demands flair, attacking, goals etc. so there is less emphasis on defensive coaching.