Summer Transfer Window Thread 2015

Rich

Thinking about it, how many strikers have come from Ligue 1 and actually done well in recent years. I'd say the Eredivisie (where the Alfonso Alves vs Luis Suarez argument plays out to about a 50/50 level) has a better success rate for that kind of thing.

I hope De Gea stays. Not even a Man Utd fan and I'm so fucking sick of teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona just fucking about unsettling players to get what they want all the time, and I hate that they always do get their way.

"Unsettling players" meaning what in this context? Offering them career options that they want to pursue?

Damn those 2 biggest clubs in world football offering players the chance of a lifetime!

Yeah, cause that's what I meant isn't it.

Should have been clear it wasn't just talking about how "Oh this big club wants a player and it would be a huge move for the player" is somehow appalling.

I'm talking about stuff like when Barcelona wanted Fabregas and they spent ages just unsettling him and having their players put him in really awkward positions like Puyol and Pique putting Barcelona shirts on him when he was still an Arsenal player. Or coming Xavi and Iniesta with statements about it all the time. "I spoke to Cesc in Ibiza and he said he was suffering because he really wants to come. It's what he most wants, he's done everything he can to come and wants Arsenal to let him go." "Iniesta: Cesc must join Barca" "Andres Iniesta desperate for Barcelona to buy Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas" "Andres Iniesta: I want Cesc Fabregas to join Barcelona"

Pretty sure I recall Real Madrid being similar with signing Ronaldo, to the extent Man Utd reported them to FIFA or something, and Ferguson was talking about it being typical of what you'd expect from Real Madrid, then Blatter piping up and calling it slavery or some shit.

Just as a follow-up to the whole "why have West Ham let Downing go?" discussion:

Stewart Downing: West Ham boss Slaven Bilic wanted winger to stay

West Ham manager Slaven Bilic says he did not want Stewart Downing to leave the Hammers and that he was counting on the winger "big time" for next season.

England international Downing, 30, has rejoined hometown club Middlesbrough on a four-year deal.

"I didn't want him to go, he's a quality English player and I know how hard it is to get the quality ones," said Bilic.

"Of course I rate him, I tried to persuade him to stay with us."

Middlesbrough-born Downing spent two seasons at Upton Park, making 74 appearances and scoring seven goals for the Hammers.

Capped 35 times by England, Downing left the Riverside for Aston Villa in July 2009, before moving to Liverpool.

He joined West Ham for £5m in August 2013, his last England appearance against Scotland in a friendly last November.

"I know him from the national team when we played England, and he was brilliant in the first half of last season," added former Croatia manager Bilic.

"I was counting on him big time, but he told me that he wanted to go home.

"He said 'I like you and everything, but I want to go home. If it was any other club, I would stay here'.

"Maybe I could have stopped him, and all that, however it is not what we wanted to do, but he wanted to leave."

I hope De Gea stays. Not even a Man Utd fan and I'm so fucking sick of teams like Real Madrid and Barcelona just fucking about unsettling players to get what they want all the time, and I hate that they always do get their way.

"Unsettling players" meaning what in this context? Offering them career options that they want to pursue?

Damn those 2 biggest clubs in world football offering players the chance of a lifetime!

Yeah, cause that's what I meant isn't it.

Should have been clear it wasn't just talking about how "Oh this big club wants a player and it would be a huge move for the player" is somehow appalling.

I'm talking about stuff like when Barcelona wanted Fabregas and they spent ages just unsettling him and having their players put him in really awkward positions like Puyol and Pique putting Barcelona shirts on him when he was still an Arsenal player. Or coming Xavi and Iniesta with statements about it all the time. "I spoke to Cesc in Ibiza and he said he was suffering because he really wants to come. It's what he most wants, he's done everything he can to come and wants Arsenal to let him go." "Iniesta: Cesc must join Barca" "Andres Iniesta desperate for Barcelona to buy Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas" "Andres Iniesta: I want Cesc Fabregas to join Barcelona"

Pretty sure I recall Real Madrid being similar with signing Ronaldo, to the extent Man Utd reported them to FIFA or something, and Ferguson was talking about it being typical of what you'd expect from Real Madrid, then Blatter piping up and calling it slavery or some shit.

Man Utd are just as bad for doing this.

It also gives us a season to get a replacement. If we sign a keeper in January, and De Gea doesn't sign a new deal as expected, he can be given some time towards the end of the season to settle in.

We bought De Gea for roughly 20m and I said from the start, losing him for just a 5m profit would be shocking considering the difference in him now compared to then. I'd resigned to doing so and Valdes as #1 was a real possibility, but with him going now, I say keep De Gea and replace him next season.

We should go to Atleti again and sign Oblak. He seems tidy.

Getting another season out of De Gea is worth a lot more to us than the 20 odd million we could've gotten for from Real.

Seen a lot of people saying that it's good to see a club stand up to a player and to Madrid. I don't think it's been like that at all. De Gea hasn't caused any trouble. He obviously wants to go if a deal can be done but hasn't been in the media or anything.

Equally, Madrid aren't causing problems. They want him and have presumably put bids in that we have rejected. Which is exactly how the system is supposed to work.

Everton have rejected a £20m bid from Chelsea for John Stones.

This might just be me being biased, but if the asking price for Jonny Evans is 8 million, the asking price for Stones should be more than 20 million. >_>