Star Wars Battlefront

apsham

No gameplay, but in-engine - and I'm just going to take that at face value because this HAS to be my game of the year leading into Episode VII or I'm going to explode.

I'll try to keep this updated with features:

The first Star Wars Battlefront info has already confirmed plenty of core info but now we've design director Niklas Fegraeus tweeting out a ton of new info:

* We have 4 iconic planets & on those many maps to play on. We're going to take you places you've never been before.
* We have a feature called Missions that allow you to play solo or cooperatively with bots on or offline, in local splitscreen on your console, or online coop.
* There will be more maps than 8, and more than two per planet at launch.
* You will be able to pilot AT-STs, as well as many more iconic vehicles, like X-wings and Tie fighters.
* When playing as a soldier, you can freely choose between 1st and 3rd person views whenever you want.
* You will be able to take to the skies over our planets and dogfight with squadrons of star-fighters.
* The battle of Jakku is not a day one DLC, it is free content we want you all to have as soon as it is done.
* Yes, the trailer was filmed in engine, using our in-game models.
* We have focused on the original trilogy.
* It is both different and similar in many ways. This is why we have done a reboot instead of calling it Battlefront 3.
* So far we have only revealed Vader and Boba Fett [as playable characters]. More will come.
* It's 60 fps!

That took place as part of an EA Star Wars Q&A that also revealed this lot as well:

* Star Wars Battlefront will feature four planets including Endor, Hoth, Tatooine and the unexplored Sullust.
* We’re not revealing all the modes today but one we can tell you about is Walker Assault, an epic 40-player multiplayer mode.
* We’re staying true to the universe and using destruction where it makes sense.

• Like 1

The previews I've skim-read seem to indicate that there are a good few differences between Battlefield and Battlefront. While it looks nice and flashy, online-only means that it's not something I'd go for myself. I do, however, hope that fans of the first two Battlefront game enjoy it and it doesn't deviate too far from what made those people willing to wait so long for a sequel.

The game is not online only.

There is no campaign, but there is no campaign in the same sense that Left 4 Dead had no campaign. You play missions to unlock missions, and each mission doesn't lead into the next with a cutscene.

There is 2 player local co-op, as well as online modes.

They should really at least have the Galactic Conquest mode.

I imagine they may release it as DLC. This is EA we're talking about after all. If not, PC players will more than likely mod it in, although XBone and PS will be screwed.

Really hate the ridiculous backlash this game is getting because it lacks the same features as BF2. Its a brand new game, built for a brand new generation of consoles, created by an entirely different company. Be realistic, they have to set up a foundation to build upon, every game can't have every feature ever. Some of the complaints are valid sure, but come on, the BF2 came out 10 years ago, this isn't exactly a Madden situation where you could be pissed about them not having features they had 10 years ago, because they put out a new version every year.

• Like 3

Really hate the ridiculous backlash this game is getting because it lacks the same features as BF2. Its a brand new game, built for a brand new generation of consoles, created by an entirely different company. Be realistic, they have to set up a foundation to build upon, every game can't have every feature ever.

A million times this. I've seen so much hate towards the game and it is ridiculous.

It seems to be what happens every time the much-requested return of a games franchise is realised. When people want a series back, they want it exactly the way it was, progress be damned. Look forward to similar exchanges once the new Mirror's Edge comes out.

Really hate the ridiculous backlash this game is getting because it lacks the same features as BF2. Its a brand new game, built for a brand new generation of consoles, created by an entirely different company. Be realistic, they have to set up a foundation to build upon, every game can't have every feature ever. Some of the complaints are valid sure, but come on, the BF2 came out 10 years ago, this isn't exactly a Madden situation where you could be pissed about them not having features they had 10 years ago, because they put out a new version every year.

I think it's a fair complaint when some of the cut features are as big as completely removing space combat. That's a huge part of the original games that's not going to be in it. Personally I'm not bothered about things like Galactic Conquest, but the lack of Space Combat is a huge bummer. Some of my favorite moments in the original came from landing on an enemy ship and disabling it. Not to mention all that leaked footage from the original Battlefront 3 showed stuff as awesome as flying from ground combat into a space battle.