Star Wars Battlefront

apsham

Was space combat that big? Was it even in the first one? It was boring and samey and it didn't matter where the map was, it was always the same thing and the dog fighting was kind of bullshit. It was just rush to the other player's base.

Right, which is your opinion. But if you liked space combat, then you'd probably be fairly bummed out that it's not in this one.

Was space combat that big? Was it even in the first one? It was boring and samey and it didn't matter where the map was, it was always the same thing and the dog fighting was kind of bullshit. It was just rush to the other player's base.

It was in the second, not the first. I thought it was fun (mainly playing hotseat multiplayer), but could have been improved.

Going back to Maxx's point - this being an entirely new iteration which is just flat out in your face with the fact that it isn't Battlefront 3 - it would be nice to have it, yeah. But at the same time that's a little bit outside the scope of what they want to do if they want to have the game out in any kind of reasonable time. What they have and what they're showing already looks and sounds promising.

I'm not going to begrudge for space combat when it was only in one previous game, and was treated as an "oh here" kind of thing.

I am going to give EA the benefit of the doubt in this situation, as this isn't an NHL 15 situation where they cut a ton of shit that absolutely should be in there; this is basically a new game and should be treated as such.

That said, selling a full priced game with essentially no single player content is eh.

Really hate the ridiculous backlash this game is getting because it lacks the same features as BF2. Its a brand new game, built for a brand new generation of consoles, created by an entirely different company. Be realistic, they have to set up a foundation to build upon, every game can't have every feature ever. Some of the complaints are valid sure, but come on, the BF2 came out 10 years ago, this isn't exactly a Madden situation where you could be pissed about them not having features they had 10 years ago, because they put out a new version every year.

If they want us to treat this like a new game and not compare it to BF 1 & 2 and get mad about the features that will not be included in this new iteration then they shoudln't have called it "Battlefront"! It is as easy as that. If you brand your game with the name of an existing franchise that fans of said franchise hold very dear and then tell us that certain features won't be in the game or that we have to pay extra to get them of course fans will get pissed and rightfully so!

Edited by Hellraiser

There hasn't been a Battlefront game in a fucking decade. That's hardly "existing" anymore, its been gone for an entire console generation.

I am going to give EA the benefit of the doubt in this situation, as this isn't an NHL 15 situation where they cut a ton of shit that absolutely should be in there; this is basically a new game and should be treated as such.

That said, selling a full priced game with essentially no single player content is eh.

Even with NHL, it's a brand new game, with brand new coding that needed to be written from scratch. The jump from the PS2/Xbox Original to PS3/360 wasn't nearly as huge as the jump from last-gen to PS4/XB1. I'm not as up on what Microsoft is doing, but taking any code from a PS3 game to make a PS4 game is incredibly time consuming. There's a reason why remasters to the PS4 have the same Dev Cycle as most new games. Not only do they have to re-work the graphics, but they have to entirely re-write the coding.

And Battlefront has the same offline experience as a game like Left 4 Dead. The missions are all there, but they don't link together with an overarching story.

Sham, can you put the official news bits into your first post so we can have a single post at the beginning of the thread with all confirmed information?

Again though, it's not a straight "No Campaign". If you've played Left 4 Dead, it's more like that. If you haven't played Left 4 Dead or the sequel, and you have a 360, get on it. Left 4 Dead 2 should be $15 and you can get the missions from the first game as well. It's easily the best multiplayer experience I've had since Goldeneye 64, and nothing since L4D2 has even come close for me.

There's going to be a heavy focus on the online multiplayer in Battlefront, and that's fine because it's the way that the industry is trying to force things. What's important is that despite the lack of traditional campaign, there will still be more than enough content for Single Player or Offline Co-Op to justify the price tag. This isn't like the multitude of other games out there, where they give you a bare bones single player game and everything worth paying for is online only.

It's really important to stress that the Localized gamer isn't being ignored by the Battlefront dev team. Because of that, and only because of that, I'm going to be picking up this game at launch. I never pay for games that I feel are trying to abandon those of us who aren't huge fans of playing online. I only play online only games if I get them for free, because I don't agree with the move to the online platform.

Someone made that chart purely to make the new game look underwhelming. 33 maps total? A great number of them recycled from a previous game in the same engine - not to mention that space maps are the exact same. "Loadouts only"? There isn't even any information I've seen like that. And besides, that's all the "classes" were in the first two.. layouts that you couldn't customize. 2 heroes... for now.

Someone made that chart purely to make the new game look underwhelming. 33 maps total? A great number of them recycled from a previous game in the same engine - not to mention that space maps are the exact same. "Loadouts only"? There isn't even any information I've seen like that. And besides, that's all the "classes" were in the first two.. layouts that you couldn't customize. 2 heroes... for now.

I only posted it because it interested me, I'm not trying to be negative by the way just trying not to get carried away.

• 1 month later...