Complete Your Collection

Benji

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Life_Is_Strange.png/320px-Life_Is_Strange.png

Life Is Strange
100% Progress: 47 of 61

Episode Four (major spoilers within)...

Spoiler

TL;DR - I like the game for many reasons, but this chapter has highlighted its flaws and for a few moments forgets what makes the game so great.

So as I said, I was less enamored with this chapter than the others. First of all we changed the world in a way I never wanted to in the first place, then when I got on board with it I was forced to change it back for no discernible reason. Why couldn't Max have asked Chloe what date her accident was, gone back, done the same as she did with the keys before, and then warned Chloe not to drive on that day?

Then there's the ridiculous amount of pin codes and such stuff in this chapter that didn't particularly crop up in previous chapters. They weren't particularly hard, but they were dull as all hell, especially for a game built so much on story advancement. The board puzzle I just didn't care for at all either, I struggled with it and couldn't be bothered linking every stupid piece of bullshit so I just used a guide.

The general dialogue and story through the chapter was decent, but something really felt off in this episode, and the fact that I telegraphed the big twist in this chapter way back in the first chapter was frustrating. I really hope I'm right and that Jefferson is working with Nathan and not just alone. Nathan has been built up as a great villain, the game doesn't need the obvious twist that "oh my, the one super nice guy adult in this world (barring the other super nice guy, who obviously had to die) is actually a horrible person", because that would be the sign of a writer who desperately wanted a twist rather than having confidence in their story telling ability, which up to this point has been fantastic, and rivals (and surpasses) most Telltale games.

I'm still convinced step douche will turn out to be a good guy who was investigating the villains the whole time, and if so I'm fine with that, he's been a great character who reminds me a lot of Snape in many regards. I'm not sure how I'll feel if it does go full Donnie Darko, it's sort of walking that edge between homage and rip-off at the minute.

Spoiler

" Why couldn't Max have asked Chloe what date her accident was, gone back, done the same as she did with the keys before, and then warned Chloe not to drive on that day?"

Hmm... Maybe, but she would have needed a convenient photograph to do it... Yes, it would probably have been possible to locate one if she'd thought about it long enough, but I doubt she was ever going to figure that out on her own at that point (she would also have needed to find it before the giant tornado mess arrived a couple of days later).

8 minutes ago, stokeriño said:
  Hide contents

" Why couldn't Max have asked Chloe what date her accident was, gone back, done the same as she did with the keys before, and then warned Chloe not to drive on that day?"

Hmm... Maybe, but she would have needed a convenient photograph to do it... Yes, it would probably have been possible to locate one if she'd thought about it long enough, but I doubt she was ever going to figure that out on her own at that point (she would also have needed to find it before the giant tornado mess arrived a couple of days later).

Spoiler

She did have a convenient photograph, she had to go back and change the timeline back in the first place, it was literally the exact same photograph she'd already used. She didn't need to go back to the date, just a day before the date and get Chloe to promise not to drive that day no matter what.

Okay, I think I understand now.

Spoiler

I had interpreted "and then warned Chloe not to drive on that day" as being 'gone to the exact day when she was about to drive the car and said NO DON'T DO IT'. Hence, if she were using the same photograph from when they were 13(?), that day was years away.

But in terms of actually turning to 13-year-old Chloe on the original day when her dad has just walked out the door and saying "Chloe! On the Xth of Month of Distant Year whatever you do DON'T DRIVE"...you're right, she could have given it a shot. I suspect Chloe wouldn't have paid the warning enough attention, but who knows.

15 hours ago, Jericode said:

latest?cb=20130322154006

Trophy Progress: 6/34

Getting some work done on FFX now as requested. I've reached Guadosalam, no idea how much is actually left story-wise. Good to see Rikku back though!

Picked up mostly easy ones so far (get all party members, get your first Al Bhed Primer, watch Eternal Calm) but Blitzball is realy pissing me off. How do I make my team not suck?

Guadosalam? .....yeah, you'e got quite a bit left to go.

1 hour ago, Jericode said:

Expected as much. I knew I wasn't far in, I've just not played it through before so didn't know how long it was.

Remember to get the Sun Crest AS SOON as

y'all defeat Yunalesca. Otherwise, Dark Bahamut stands in your way.

9 minutes ago, The Handsome Luchadore said:

Remember to get the Sun Crest AS SOON as

Reveal hidden contents

See, now you've given me the conundrum of either opening the spoiler tag and taking the no doubt useful advice, or staying unspoiled of the story and probably missing something obvious. WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?

23 minutes ago, Jericode said:

See, now you've given me the conundrum of either opening the spoiler tag and taking the no doubt useful advice, or staying unspoiled of the story and probably missing something obvious. WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME?

Sidequest, but does spoil a fairly major boss.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/09/Life_Is_Strange.png/320px-Life_Is_Strange.png

Life Is Strange
100% Progress: 61 of 61

Episode 5 (major spoilers)...

Spoiler

So it kind of shit the bed with the ending. It did go full Donnie Darko, and I loved some of the sequences, but a lot of it felt totally unnecessary. I wish they had never introduced the photo focus mechanic because that seemed to be where all the worst stuff came from, and if they'd done away with that and the frankly ridiculous tornado plot and just done a straight up murder mystery but with Max having powers to rewind time no more than she does for the most part then it would have been a lot better.

It also irked me to undo all my previous decisions that were meant to be important, and doing it with a "red blood button or blue hair button" option that was quite frankly the easiest "tough" decision I've ever made. Like fuck am I letting one person live just so everybody in town can die or lose their loved ones. To be honest though, even if it wasn't a moral decision and it was personal, I liked almost every single town member more than I actually liked Chloe anyway. Now if it were alternate universe Chloe, that would have been another story, I might have struggled more (and still probably made the same decision, mind).

That aside, it didn't ruin the episodes before it. The murder mystery stuff was still great, most of the gameplay was fun with a few exceptions, the atmosphere was tremendous, and I'd generally recommend people play it, because even despite its flaws and inability to end well, it's still a very engrossing game.

I also bought BTTF 30th Anniversary edition for future playing, but it's probably not going to get played for a while as Uncharted 4 comes on Tuesday, and I really want to platinum some more PS3 games (MIrror's Edge in particular before Catalyst is released, and the four of five Prince of Persia games I'm yet to platinum too) to make sure I have as little outstanding trophies as possible for the day PS3 online connectivity is finally removed.

4 hours ago, Jericode said:

Guys I'm lost in a desert somewhere.

Also I seem to have missed about half of the Al Bhed Primer things, I can go back and get those, right? :shifty:

Quick look on Final Fantasy Wikia says that the 4 in Home (where it sounds like you ae story-wise) are the only ones that can't be picked up again at a later date w/o using those Al Bhed Shpere syncing thingies.

latest?cb=20130322154006

Trophy Progress: 10/34

Actual trophy progress rather than running through story!

Got the 9999 damage one courtesy of one of the Aeons and I've reached the Calm Lands, so the automatic one for the underwater date popped too.

Also finished all the Chocobo training and got those too.

• Like 3