***SPOILERS*** Avengers: Age of Ultron

probablyoliver

I think a lot of that feeling also has to do with the fact that we already know what the future of the MCU sort of looks like. I don't think Age of Ultron was even greenlighted until Marvel saw how successful the first Avengers movie was. Now, we sort of know what's coming up, and we know what the title of the next Avenger movie(s) will be, so we knew we wouldn't be getting any super final battle here.

To me, Age of Ultron feels exactly like any other second movie in a trilogy. It's good, but you sort of don't have that satisfying feeling of finality to the story.

In films like Empire Strikes Back and the Two Towers, you end up feeling kind of the same way.

It was good, not great. Avengers 1 and GotG were better both those are both great films that are hard to top.

I don't read the comics so I don't care about them continuing the concept of "The Avengers" with a new lineup or anything like that. I know Disney likes the money printing machine they have in the MCU but if they start trying to stretch this out and start making new "Avengers" movies with a different team it will really devalue the special thing they created. To me, what has made this whole concept so special over the past decade or so are the actors, not the characters. Robert Downey Jr., ScarJo, Chris Hemsworth, Renner, Ruffalo...they all are great and Chris Evans has just enough of that wholesome American boy in him to make you forget what a douchebag he was as Johnny Storm.

But if Marvel keeps trying to expand the universe and trying to keep on mass producing this with original players gone, it will just feel flat and a money grab to me. I liked this movie on it's own but nothing plot-wise felt super important that was necessary. How many times do we need an argument between Steve Rodgers and Tony Stark about what's the best way to protect the world? Given what happened in the first Avengers and in Captain America 2, that's enough to lay the groundwork for the Civil War storyline and Avengers 3. How many more of these movies are we going to be following MacGuffins around the galaxy and then get a sinister shot of Thanos at the end?

Also, I'm sad we didn't see Coulson. Maybe that's the ultimate end game, they all officially retire and find out Coulson was alive all along.

Boy. I really hope nobody else on here feels that way about this because that would be awful. Seriously. That is just a terrible way to look at it.

Completely agree with this.

The more they expand the universe, the better. There's so much stuff to mine, do many amazing characters, and I want to see as many as possible.

• Like 3

Eh I dunno. I like the idea of it being a contained thing with the main original line up from the movies and having a specific end to the story rather than stringing it out. I've never been all that keen on passing on the mantle stuff cos I like the heroes for the characters, like, I like Captain America for being Steve Rogers in a costume, not an interchangeable identity for whoever to keep it going. But I've not been massively into the comics for a long time so I'm not dumb enough to suggest it shouldn't or cant be done really amazingly well.

Oh and thats in regards to the avengers only. The fact that GotG was so incredible and I had no idea about them before proves it can be great to see new characters on screen. I'm all for the MCU continuing cos it's honestly one of the best "franchises" ever and Marvel have proven they can be trusted to pull it off. I just don't mind seeing individual characters arcs be finished.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone's posted about this on here, but the Age of Ultron DVD and Blu-Ray will have deleted scenes included, one of which is apparently a Loki scene that was cut out (and that Idris Elba had spoiled would be in it initially).

Well, the most obvious one would be Klaw getting his arm severed. He'll come back as the baddie for Black Panther.

Other than that, I can't think of anything, and Googling the results just shows a bunch of fun stuff (my favorite being the reasoning behind the name Veronica).

Also, I'm guessing Loki is the hooded figure that we see in Thor's nightmare that Wanda put on him? Or was that revealed as someone else?

I really liked it, and Ultron was as great as I had hoped as a villain. But yeah, next summer is Civil War and then in 2018 they start wrapping up Avengers so knowing what was down the pipe meant that I knew there'd be very little finality here. Putting the slow burn on Thanos is perfectly fine since we get good movies out of the intermediary.

Also, I can't get over that Don Draper slept with Hawkeye's wife. And my friend and I literally kept giggling after we realized who she was. When he came back home later in the movie and she looked startled my friend went "Don's in the living room right now."

There's a lot to be said for expanding and oversaturating the universe. I think as with anything too much can be a bad thing. I thought Guardians of the Galaxy and now Ant-Man were movies that were delving too deep into the universe. But with Guardians I was wrong and they have a new franchise that fans have embraced, and the verdict is still out on Ant-Man. They should keep pushing the envelope until they find that pushback point, where people say "okay this is too much I don't care anymore". Something like Avengers has this massive appeal, but is it going to keep up this appeal with a new generation of heroes down the line? Like anything it's a bubble and will burst, but who knows when that will be. The MCU has a ton of legs and at least until 2019 will be thriving, but a decades worth of movies have largely built up to that final battle for the Avengers and to me that seems like a logical place for consumers to start to move away from Marvel as everything after will be less fulfilling.

I'm way hyped for the new, probably-temporary Avengers lineup. The interchangeability of the Avengers roster is one of my favorite things about it, and I like all the characters involved as well.

• Like 1

There's a lot to be said for expanding and oversaturating the universe. I think as with anything too much can be a bad thing. I thought Guardians of the Galaxy and now Ant-Man were movies that were delving too deep into the universe. But with Guardians I was wrong and they have a new franchise that fans have embraced, and the verdict is still out on Ant-Man. They should keep pushing the envelope until they find that pushback point, where people say "okay this is too much I don't care anymore". Something like Avengers has this massive appeal, but is it going to keep up this appeal with a new generation of heroes down the line? Like anything it's a bubble and will burst, but who knows when that will be. The MCU has a ton of legs and at least until 2019 will be thriving, but a decades worth of movies have largely built up to that final battle for the Avengers and to me that seems like a logical place for consumers to start to move away from Marvel as everything after will be less fulfilling.

I mean, you would think that after the finality of the Infinity Gauntlet story, consumers would move away, but then those same consumers also made the fourth Transformers the highest grossing movie of 2014. I would imagine something that everyone watches and is also of good quality is going to continue until Kevin Feige goes crazy or something like that.

It was good, not great. Avengers 1 and GotG were better both those are both great films that are hard to top.

I don't read the comics so I don't care about them continuing the concept of "The Avengers" with a new lineup or anything like that. I know Disney likes the money printing machine they have in the MCU but if they start trying to stretch this out and start making new "Avengers" movies with a different team it will really devalue the special thing they created. To me, what has made this whole concept so special over the past decade or so are the actors, not the characters. Robert Downey Jr., ScarJo, Chris Hemsworth, Renner, Ruffalo...they all are great and Chris Evans has just enough of that wholesome American boy in him to make you forget what a douchebag he was as Johnny Storm.

But if Marvel keeps trying to expand the universe and trying to keep on mass producing this with original players gone, it will just feel flat and a money grab to me. I liked this movie on it's own but nothing plot-wise felt super important that was necessary. How many times do we need an argument between Steve Rodgers and Tony Stark about what's the best way to protect the world? Given what happened in the first Avengers and in Captain America 2, that's enough to lay the groundwork for the Civil War storyline and Avengers 3. How many more of these movies are we going to be following MacGuffins around the galaxy and then get a sinister shot of Thanos at the end?

Also, I'm sad we didn't see Coulson. Maybe that's the ultimate end game, they all officially retire and find out Coulson was alive all along.

Oh my god. I'm so fed up of people moaning about MacGuffins in regards to the Infinity Stones.

• Like 4

I mean, you would think that after the finality of the Infinity Gauntlet story, consumers would move away, but then those same consumers also made the fourth Transformers the highest grossing movie of 2014. I would imagine something that everyone watches and is also of good quality is going to continue until Kevin Feige goes crazy or something like that.

There's always another big bad, there's always another item, there will always be another story to lead up to.

It's hardly overkill to go from two movies a year to three. It's not like WWE where to stay on top of it all you need to dedicate 3 hours a week minimum, its 5-10 hours a year.

For me two films a year still leaves a pretty big gap between each and three or even four would be about right.

Yeah, it's really only overkill if you assume everyone goes to see every superhero film and forces themselves to watch each.

If anything, more films centered around new, mostly standalone heroes makes everything more fresh. Apart from being under the Marvel branch and being about a hero or some kind, they're all different films. Guardians is a totally different feel to Captain America, for example.

There's always another big bad, there's always another item, there will always be another story to lead up to.

Yeah, which is why whatever the plan is for the Inhumans film is so intriguing to me, because it's probably going to set up the next big thing to happen in the MCU, which will have an effect for Phase 4 and so on. I mean, everything Marvel puts out interests me, but I'm so damn curious what is on those crazy timelines they've got in the Marvel headquarters for the future of the MCU.

http://kotaku.com/in-age-of-ultron-the-avengers-do-the-thing-that-superm-1701007887

That article does a good job of summarizing what I was thinking during the Hulk/Iron Man fight. Its what Superman Vs Zod should have been, with Superman's priority being keeping everyone safe, instead of joining in the rampant destruction of a city.

• Like 3

I'm curious as to how the movie has been reviewed where you guys live. Ive only seen one review myself and the guy didn't love it but also didn't hate it. Is that the kind of general reaction from any reviews you've seen?