***SPOILERS*** Avengers: Age of Ultron

probablyoliver

Goin to see this today!!

I saw the movie yesterday and still don't quite know how I feel about the movie. Had some really cool moments and I enjoyed that Hawkeye ended up getting some of the focus, but it just kind of felt like a bit of a filler movie until The Vision showed up. I'd say a solid B is probably right if I had to rate it.

Solid B for me as well. Just saw it this morning.

It was so much sensory overload in the fight scenes, it was like every problem could be solved with a fist. The rapid-fire quick-cuts of people throwing punches felt like a big spot fest and little psychology. I know they're robots and before it was aliens, but I think what I like more about the standalone films is it's not just armies of random goons getting progressively weaker as the movie goes on because ain't nobody got time for drawn-out fight scenes to put over how formidble they are anymore!

Hawkeye was definitely the star of the film and had me terrified at the end he was going to die, but Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch definitely won me over by the end. Shame Quicksilver had to die. Between The Flash TV show, Quicksilver in X-Men DoFP and this, I'm really loving all speedsters in comic book films.

Ultron and Vision felt far too human as well. That bothered me. I came to terms with Ultron having Tony's sarcasm but sometimes I wish he was just a touch more poetic T-1000

Some things that I didn't understand about the film: At the end of Iron Man 3 Tony blows up all his suits and tells Pepper he's out of that game. Granted, it's Tony so we as viewers could take that with a grain of salt, but from scene 1 of AoU he's in the suit with no explanation. Same with Loki tricking Thor and everyone by faking his death - the first scene is Thor tracking down the scepter based on what Loki told him. Both of these events feel like whole massive character arcs and stories!

My biggest character gripe though was when Ultron buys vibranium from Klaw. Uh, what? You're a bulletproof omniprescent robot intent on killing all mankind, why are you buying anything from some third world arms dealer? Why not just kill him and everyone in the building and take it and anything else you may want? Cutting off his arm because Ultron gets slighted at the comparison to Stark seemed weak compared to what he could have done to him. The only other scene that particularly ground my gears was Hawkeye pointing out how absurd the entire scenario was "but I'm gonna go out there and do my job!" It sounded like either Jeremy Renner or someone in the writer's room was just sour that they weren't working on a serious drama piece instead of a disney superhero ensamble piece

Edited by I Diem

Ultron being all sarcastic Tony Stark wasn't at all what I expected or really wanted. And yeah, I'll agree with the lack of logic with Klaw and the Iron Man 3 stuff. Though the Loki's scepter stuff isn't really a plot hole - why wouldn't Loki want his scepter back? If I wanted my Infinity Stone back, I'd be throwing Thor out there to get it too. Especially knowing Thanos is out there.

Thor going off to figure out the stuff with the Infinity Stones doesn't really work for me either, with Ragnarok being his next appearance. Because now that film either has to be about one (which, we've done this before and it wasn't great), or it has to write in some excuse for Thor to stop dealing with the Infinity Stones stuff.

That scene with Hawkeye was so Joss Whedon-y. He loves his tongue-in-cheek humor and one-liners, and this was a one-liner fest, and throwing that in there was just the icing on the cake.

That bit with Klaw was definitely the one point where, even for a superhero movie, I was like "okay this isn't very believable."

Was he still trying to keep Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch convinced that he's not just destroying the world at that point? I guess that'd explain it?

EDIT: Also, man, I'm so fucking done with dumbass, fish out of water Thor. I want the Prince of Asgard stuff where he monologues with Loki about family. He spends the majority of AoU being a joke, which isn't a great follow up to Thor The Dark World, where he spends the majority of the film in stupid gag scenes. THOR'S GETTING THE TUBE GUYS, ISN'T THAT HILARIOUS?

• Like 1

Kevin Feige explained in an interview about Tony being in an Iron Man suit again after Iron Man 3 that, without delving too much into any sort of spoilers, apparently they're gonna touch on that situation in Civil War.

Am I the only one who enjoyed Ultron having personality and not being a cold-hearted machine à la Skynet? That was my biggest fear after watching the trailer. I love what James Spader did to the character and greatly enjoyed all of Ultron's interactions with the other characters in the movie.

I'll agree with you though when it comes to him not simply killing the arms dealer and taking the vibranium from him. I suppose they needed to set up that character somehow but that scene made no sense.

• Like 2

I saw that scene with Klaw as protecting his investments, so to speak, with that line he says about "keeping your friends close and your enemies close until you find out which is which" or something like that. To me it meant that he was keeping him alive and happy in case he had to resort to him again, because while he was hoping his plan would bear fruit, something could always go wrong. Then, since he's still maturing, he screwed it all up. That's the way I choose to look at it, anyway.

Remember when Srar (or somebody) posted about AMC having a back-to-back MCU marathon that ended with Age of Ultron? Well, one of the staffers at the AV Club actually did it. And then wrote an amazing piece about it: http://www.avclub.com/article/28-hour-marvel-marathon-nearly-cost-our-writer-his-218852?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default

• Like 1

Am I the only one who enjoyed Ultron having personality and not being a cold-hearted machine à la Skynet? That was my biggest fear after watching the trailer. I love what James Spader did to the character and greatly enjoyed all of Ultron's interactions with the other characters in the movie.

I did to an extent ... I'd have rather have had a mix ... where he's the T-1000 super destructo kill 'em all type, BUT as he speaks there are "Stark" lines in his monologues. Not necessarily the personality so much, but the actual spoken word. I that'd have been the best marriage of what he was in the comics and how they brought him into the MCU. IMO it would have been much more effective.

Honestly I liked the movie. I'm way past they nit pick and gripe angle. I knew exactly what this was going to be so 90% of the stuff people are citing or "complaining" about I simply don't care about. I just felt it was a little bloated is all. I know why it was and that it would be, but it still felt that way and that kind of sucked. Other than that I got what I wanted for the most part and there were some really funny, really awesome, super geek out, etc moments that made it really enjoyable.

I saw that scene with Klaw as protecting his investments, so to speak, with that line he says about "keeping your friends close and your enemies close until you find out which is which" or something like that. To me it meant that he was keeping him alive and happy in case he had to resort to him again, because while he was hoping his plan would bear fruit, something could always go wrong. Then, since he's still maturing, he screwed it all up. That's the way I choose to look at it, anyway.

I think going "WAHAHAHAHA I KILL YOU NOW AND TAKE WHAT I WANT" without justifiable provocation (as Klaw and his dudes eventually offered) would be a pretty bad card to play in front of Wanda and Pietro, too. Ultron's deal was that he was trying to show off that he is rational and trying to save the human race; just going in, causing a massacre, and taking what he wants ultimately doesn't really make any sense, especially since money is an abstract, irrelevant thing to him.

• Like 2

I was hoping Walmart would get movies with e-tickets for this. That's how we got tickets for INSURGENT, buying dvds that included e-tickets. Since then, they've had e-tickets for HOME (no interest in seeing until its out on dvd and will get from Netflix), then FURIOUS 7 (Saw it the day after it hit theaters....and will be buying on dvd, since we have all the movies). I was hoping they'd do tickets for Age of Ultron, but no...they still have tickets for FURIOUS 7.

Heidi's son went with some friends and saw it in 3D (and one of his friends is up shit creek with me and Heidi for spoiling something. Namely

Quicksilver getting killed

), but we decided we're holding off and going to go see SAN ANDREAS next instead of us going to see it......unless Walmart does get some decent movies with e-tickets.

Edited by GhostMachine

Good lord is this "Joss Whedon is sexist" stuff is the biggest load of horseshit I have ever read.

This tweet from Patton Oswalt sums it up perfectly

Yep. There is a "Tea Party" equivalent of progressivism/liberalism. And they just chased Joss Whedon off Twitter. Good job, guys. Ugh.
  • Like 1

Finally watched it last night, really enjoyed it for the most part. It's highly unlikely and a long way off but I hope this Banner exile starts to lead to some Planet Hulk/World War Hulk action, plus it'd be a great way to revisit Stark vs Hulk. And in the long run, I'd die for a Thanos Imperative movie.

Overall B level movie, but great set up for the next phase.