If you could re-experience any game for the first time again, what would it be?

probablyoliver

I trade in, if you look around you get decent prices still. Game price match CEX and give a pound on top, so if CEX have a considerably better trade-in price, you can take that price to Game and they'll beat it.

I've paid less than £5 each for Shadow of Mordor, GTA V and Far Cry 4 by trading in games I'd finished with. At the moment I tend to keep three on-disc games and the IGC to keep me going. Don't need more than that.

• Like 1

I also think if I know I'm not going to go on a game anymore whats the point in it just gathering dust? Someone else might get use out of it and I can get something new in exchange.

Two games.

The first would be The Sims. Just...loading it up for the first time, thinking "How amazing, I have my own little neighborhood and people to do whatever I want them to. Who are these assholes? Mortimer and Bella. Okay, come on in, yeah, how are you and *Mortimer raids the fridge* HEY MOTHERFUCKER! *cash sound as he eats a bag of chips*. Son of a bitch must pay!"

Good times.

The second would be World of Warcraft. Ah, to be a clueless noob, to pick a Tauren Warrior thinking "Well, he's a walking cow with a big fucking mallet, how can I lose?", and the first of many nights playing until 3 AM :shifty: .

• Like 2

Either Final Fantasy 7 or Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past. I can't decide which - probably Zelda. I got it and a SNES for Christmas one year, and I probably spent a week wandering around the world unsure of what to do. When my mom finally figured out that you cut a bush by the castle and fall down a hole, it was the most exciting thing ever. I had a sword now! And a shield! And I was fighting bad guys!

EDIT: I just saw Mick's post. WoW isn't a bad shout either. I remember the first time I picked it up, I played the free trial month as a night elf druid and was totally lost but I had a blast just running around in cat form and getting lost in high level zones, getting murdered to death by enemies that were a good 20-30 levels higher than me. The first time I saw a world boss, the first time I saw a Horde raid group attacking Ironforge.. ah.

Either Final Fantasy 7 or Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past. I can't decide which - probably Zelda. I got it and a SNES for Christmas one year, and I probably spent a week wandering around the world unsure of what to do. When my mom finally figured out that you cut a bush by the castle and fall down a hole, it was the most exciting thing ever. I had a sword now! And a shield! And I was fighting bad guys!

EDIT: I just saw Mick's post. WoW isn't a bad shout either. I remember the first time I picked it up, I played the free trial month as a night elf druid and was totally lost but I had a blast just running around in cat form and getting lost in high level zones, getting murdered to death by enemies that were a good 20-30 levels higher than me. The first time I saw a world boss, the first time I saw a Horde raid group attacking Ironforge.. ah.

My first few nights weren't exactly productive.

First was my Tauren Warrior; this was shortly after TBC was released. I wander around Camp N, my dad shows me a couple things and so forth. So, later that night, I get the quest to go into Bramblescar Ravine. I'm clueless about the whole thing, and I get lost, and I think that the way out might be to...climb the vines. I didn't know what a hearthstone was, so at around 3AM, I finally make it out. I was level 7 at that point from just killing all the mobs in there.

My next character was an Orc Warrior. I got him to 14, made the mistake of wandering into RFC and getting my ass kicked there (solo :shifty: ). I then decided I needed what every American needs: A GUN~!. And the adventure to TB began, thinking that I could go through Stonetalon right into it. Whoops, that was a mistake. A Blood Elf kindly poitned me in the right direction.

Then I had an Orc Warrior who's only real pro was getting an RFC run through by one hell of a mage. It was at that point I decided "...I wanna be a mage". I was a mage all the way up to MoP, when I shifted over to a Hunter.

Two games.

The first would be The Sims. Just...loading it up for the first time, thinking "How amazing, I have my own little neighborhood and people to do whatever I want them to. Who are these assholes? Mortimer and Bella. Okay, come on in, yeah, how are you and *Mortimer raids the fridge* HEY MOTHERFUCKER! *cash sound as he eats a bag of chips*. Son of a bitch must pay!"

Good times.

The second would be World of Warcraft. Ah, to be a clueless noob, to pick a Tauren Warrior thinking "Well, he's a walking cow with a big fucking mallet, how can I lose?", and the first of many nights playing until 3 AM :shifty: .

I didn't think of the Sims at first, but yeah, I totally get what you mean. It would be Sims 2 for me. It's not even creating new characters for me, it's taking on the pre-existing ones and playing out their lives or changing them drastically. Although, I think part of the fun of that was sitting there and watching my sister play because she never used to let me have a go! Then she eventually let me take over Veronaville whilst she played Pleasantview. Eventually, we lost the save and sold all the games at car boot. Re-bought the good expansions last year though.

But for gameplay and story and the like, Fallout New Vegas is that one game that I always go back to. I remember the first time I played it, I was pretty damn nervous because I initially couldn't grasp the map and overshot the graveyard, ending up getting fucked by giant radscorpions. Anyways, once I figured that out, the walk from Goodsprings to Primm and onwards was pretty tense because I didn't have a clue what was going to happen when I got to places. And that's what I loved about it the first time, the not knowing what was ahead. It's still great now, just not the same. Played it before I played Fallout 3 also, else that probably would have had the same impact.

Fallout 3 would be my pick. Stepping out of the vault into the glaring sunlight, seeing the wasteland stretching out in front of you, being told to go to Megaton and saying "fuck that, I wonder what's over there?" is a great feeling.

• Like 3

A couple of mine revolve around getting the 360 for the first time. I had never went into online gaming before and went from PS2 to Wii in 2006. Picked up a 360 in 2007 and got Oblivion and Gears of War with it.

Oblivion was, very specifically, the moment you come out of the prison and you can just do...anything. Go over there, punch that guard and see what happens. And it wasn't like GTA, where they just shoot you and you respawn, nah, you actually go to prison. And, because you're an idiot with no skills, you can't lockpick your way out so you sit around for 3 days until they let you out. And then came The Dark Brotherhood and all the other sidequests and, not looking at the internet for guidance, it just felt like this world was the most immersive shit ever. It totally blew my mind.

Gears of War wasn't for it's graphics or anything like that (though they ruled at the time), it was playing my first online match with a few of my friends and realising that you PC gaming fuckers were living the high life for years. Staying up until 3 in the morning, pissing my sides laughing as 4 of us ran the gauntlet in Ranked matches and then wrangling up 8 of us to spend all day Sunday on a revolving loop of matches together.

So yeah, that first step from PS2 to 360 seemed like the biggest shit in the world to me. I could never play PC games, never had an original Xbox and the power of those machines and the first steps into online gaming. It's common place now, of course but almost ten years ago (jesus), it felt like I was living in the future.

To a lesser extent, with that stuff, Crackdown? That had a similar feel of "This world is reacting to the shit I do, this is awesome!"

Also, the bit in Binary Domain where Cain shows up for the first time, driving a van away from oncoming police, cracking wise with a crazy French accent. That game is the secret sleeper hit of the last generation.

I remember when I was in HS, the school was taking a two week long field trip to the Bay James and I was like I am not going because really in my mind this was like getting two weeks off school vs. going away with school for two weeks, and that particular time both GTA3 and MGS2 came out and I played the shit out of those games. MGS2 was great, I don't think it holds up but I remember just loving the hell out of it particularly because I'd never had a PSX and had never played the original so I actually think I'm one of the few people that enjoyed the game. GTA3, though, blew my mind. I could do whatever I wanted, drive wherever I wanted, just do everything forever and the possibilities were endless. It's not as great as GTASA but good god those hours I spent playing that game made me a really happy fat teenager. I wish I could relive those days.

I'd also kill to have never played any of the sidescroller Mario games because not knowing all the little tricks and going through them the first time would be brilliant.

I haven't finished Red Dead.

I got so damn far in the game and then my PS3 failed and I lost my save. As good as it is, I've lost the will to go right back to the start.

I was loving it, then got to Mexico and I have no idea what happened in my brain but it basically decided that was far enough and all desire to play it ever again disappeared.

I haven't finished Red Dead.

I got so damn far in the game and then my PS3 failed and I lost my save. As good as it is, I've lost the will to go right back to the start.

I was loving it, then got to Mexico and I have no idea what happened in my brain but it basically decided that was far enough and all desire to play it ever again disappeared.

Strangely enough that was around where I got up to. I think its more the ridiculous grinding I did that I'd feel I have to do all over again that scares me off the most. I mean I never avoided a random encounter, did all the possible side quests to that point and my guy was as tooled up as he could be. I'd hate to not have that again but I'd hate it just as much putting that same level of effort into it again.

Speaking of MMOs, I disliked WoW but I'd love to play City of Heroes for the first time again... mostly because it'd mean I could play it again at all.

NCSoft worse than Activision and EA.

• Like 1

I wish I could re-experience online with GTA, that was the first game I ever played online for an extended period of time, and sessions with Niner were some of the most fun I've had in a game.

You can. :)