Project Cars.

FLiam

Well the realism is insane. I'm happy I can race 35 other cars on this. You can customise single races quite a bit.

Very steep learning curve I think though even with traction control etc. Might be better suited to a steering wheel / pedal setup.

Steep learning curve puts me off a bit. I'm by no means a car guy, and generally suck at sim racers.

US gets it next Tuesday (May 12th). Yon International Peoples get it this week, though I forget which day.

I would like a full report from you fine people who nab this earlier than I. I'm not looking for Gran Turismo, I'm just looking for a sim-ish racer where you can paint real cars and race them on real tracks. Nothing more, nothing less, yo.

I don't think there's any car painting.

As I said in the ps4 thress, it's the first new gen game I've felt legit blown away by graphically. I'm a bit concerned it's going to be too in depth for a casual racing gamer such as myself, but I'm willing to give it a go.

No car painting iirc, vbut it does have livery support i've read on racedepartment.com

You guys are getting me more excited for this than I thought i would. I was curious but now my interest has peaked!! Going to look into getting this tomorrow lunch time, probably trade a few old games like The Evil Within etc to get it.

US gets it next Tuesday (May 12th). Yon International Peoples get it this week, though I forget which day.

I would like a full report from you fine people who nab this earlier than I. I'm not looking for Gran Turismo, I'm just looking for a sim-ish racer where you can paint real cars and race them on real tracks. Nothing more, nothing less, yo.

I don't think there's any car painting.

As I said in the ps4 thress, it's the first new gen game I've felt legit blown away by graphically. I'm a bit concerned it's going to be too in depth for a casual racing gamer such as myself, but I'm willing to give it a go.

No car painting iirc, vbut it does have livery support i've read on racedepartment.com

No liveries for console.

As someone who isn't the biggest car enthusiast and will get a racing game every so often, would this be a good purchase?

As someone who isn't the biggest car enthusiast and will get a racing game every so often, would this be a good purchase?

From what I have played it's very sim heavy. There are some assists in the game like Traction Control and such, but even then it's a game heavily focused on the simulation aspect of racing.

It's a blast to race though, and cars feels fast and like they have a proper weight behind them. Formula cars love to spin away at low gear high revs, and LMP's are just masterpieces in the corners.

I have played a bunch, and of course started with career mode. One thing I absolutely hate are the Karts, they might be a fun and challenging drive, but the tracks are too small and bumpy and the AI drivers are a pain in the arse to drive against because they'll just drive through you if you come in front of them, they literally take little heed in what's happening and I've had lots of moments where i'm leading a race and a Kart just divebombs me from the side and slams me off the track, before the AI merrily drives away again.

One thing that has boggled my mind and amazed me, is the ability to have 55(!) AI cars in a race at the same time as you, Day/Night cycle is in it and you can go real time to 30x in terms of how fast the day goes by. And you can also have 200+ lap races if you so very well pleased. So the idea of doing a Le Mans race is fully possible, and you can do it with any sort of car too... So for whoever feels masochistic enough to drive a 125cc Kart across Le Mans for 24 hours, knock yourself out!

For casual racing fans it's a tough sell, because it's so sim heavy. I also don't know how well it drives with gamepad/keyboard since I use a wheel for racing games. There is a variety of cars available, both racing cars and street cars. And the tracks in the game are pretty damn awesome too. And i've heard the devs will develop more DLC for the game in the future too, so it might really become one of the best racers out there.

Does anyone have a recommended racing wheel/pedal set that I can pick up when I grab this?

Personally I use the Driving Force GT, it's around 90-100gbp and often regarded as the best starter wheel/pedal set for people getting into racing games. I have no experience with cheaper sets, there are also the G27 which is the bigger more heftier brother and that thing is insanely awesome, yet also insanely expensive too.

I got my DFGT off of a online marketplace for 50 euros or so which was a steal, especially since it was barely used and was in mint condition with no defects either. And I've had it for around a year now of some pretty heavy stints of playing with F1-2013, Assetto Corsa, and now Project CARS and it's just as good as a year ago.

• Like 1

From what I've played I have to echo Jason's statement. Bombing around Watkins Glen short in a Mustang TransAm was amazing, The car felt heavy and a real pain in the arse to muscle around the track much like the stock cars I used to run at the Glen.

While I'm glad my thoughts line up with Jason's in regards to the Karts (ie:They're bullshit) I am slightly worried that it's setting a bad tone for the rest of the career mode. Has anyone started their career a bit further up or progressed onto the tier 7 Super Karts that can ease my fears a bit?

I am looking forward to having a bit more fun with the top 10 dogfights rather than just gunning for wins every race.

I've got my G25 sitting in a box next to my PS4 set up, Don't know if it'll work, Might have to wait till I upgrade my Pc and give it a go on there.

Long story short: It's promising so far.

Anyone else having frame rate issues? I'm playing on Xbox One and is really jerky in places.

I got a PC that's pretty powerful and I'm doing alright, Unless I start driving 55 cars in the rain around Bugatti, then it kinda gets issues. But most races are smooth and beautiful on my PC... But that says nothing really.

I don't mind the karting but then I'm playing on Amateur. From what I've played so far it's a very fun game.

The problem with Karting on higher levels is because the track is very small and the AI is extremely aggressive and one-dimensional. So whilst you're trying to get into good lines, the AI drivers instead follow their instructions and if that means that they'll drive through you rather than around you, so be it. I understand that it's still programming behind it, but it's very frustrating to try and divebomb a corner onto an AI, and the AI driver does nothing to protect himself or it's car... They barely react to whatever might be going on.

Same is when you go head to head into a corner and you're on the racing line, the AI will try to force it's car onto said racing line and if that means shoving you into the grass, then so be it.

Of course, it's mostly seen in the Karting gameplay because it's so tight packed and frenetic, it's much less of an issue with actual cars when the track is bigger and the AI knows better in how to handle itself amongst other cars.