Your Guilty Pleasure Films

IDOL

Dude Where's My Car and Blue Streak are probably the two that leap to mind for me. Both were on Sky Movies pretty much every day when I was younger.

Also, For Love of the Game. A terrible movie but the baseball scenes are decent and I've always enjoyed Kevin Costner - and am in total agreement with the Prince of Thieves love above, though in no way should it be a guilty pleasure!

• Like 1

tumblr_n6mf34ySOP1td7xyxo1_500.gif

I have the novelization of this movie. I have no idea why I have the novelization of this movie.

I believe there was a novelized sequel. Do you have that as well? :P

No, but true story, I also own the novelization of Jingle All The Way.

• Like 3

Grandma's Boy and Jingle All The Way are two guilty pleasure films for me.

But there is a long list of films that are incredibly bad that make me laugh and I consider an incredible source of entertainment. None of us have the time to go down that list but I'll just write down some I've seen lately: Deep Blue Sea, The Running Man, and Knowing.

• Like 1

I strongly dislike the term "guilty pleasure". Why would I feel guilty about something I enjoy watching? Because someone else might ridicule me for liking it? That isn't to say that I don't acknowledge that a movie I enjoy has flaws. I enjoyed watching a good amount of movies that were poorly received by critics and audiences alike and I can see why they are perceived that way and a lot of the time I agree with them. But I can still appreciate them on some level and I never felt guilty for doing so.

I think the only time I ever felt guilty of enjoying something was when I was about 7, 8 or 9 years old and I was really big into Sailor Moon. In hindsight that is of course totally ridiculous. My way of thinking back than was that Sailor Moon was something "for girls" and since I was a boy I wasn't supposed to enjoy it. I was afraid that my friends would make fun of me and call me names for enjoying something that was "for girls". So everytime a friend came over I would hide the comics, actionfigures and everything else I had that was in any way related to Sailor Moon. I would even tell my parents (who didn't think that it was a big deal) not to mention it to anyone. I honestly can't remember if they ever found out. I want to say they did and when that happened they called me a stupid name like once and never brought it up again. But I'm not sure.

As for movies I enjoy that others deem bad and even I see the flaws in:

Batman Returns

I get it. It's not a good Batman movie. It is a mess of a movie in general. Burton had free reign to do whatever he wanted in this movie and it shows that he wasn't really interested in making another Batman movie. But I still enjoy this. Nowadays I find myself going back to this movie a lot more than to the original Batman movie. I just enjoy how completely over the top everything is (Penguins with freakin' rocket launchers strapped to their bag) and the creepy mood Burton manages to convey. And I absolutely ADORE Danny Devito's portrayl of the Penguin. Another thing that amazes me is that Christopher Walken is in this movie and he is not the weirdest element of it. I always thought that this was the exact kind of movie where he could just cut himself loose and be as crazy as possible but I find his performance in this movie to be oddly restrained.

Batman Forever & Batman And Robin

Batman Forever is the first Batman movie I saw as a kid and I still have a soft spot for it. I used to be obsessed by this movie when I was a kid, going around quoting both The Riddler and The Joker. I realize the flaws in it but I still enjoy it today. Batman & Robin is a "it's so bad it's good" type of movie. I mean how could you not love Arnie spouting Ice Puns?

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. It's my ultimate guilty pleasure and I love it.

Is that the one with Kevin Costner, Morgan Freeman and Alan Rickman? If so I do love that movie as well. I certainly enjoyed it much more as the dull Ridley Scott movie with Russell Crowe.

There are also a lot of Tony Scott movies that people seem to dislike but I enjoy a lot. Especially from his later years. Mostly everything he did with Denzel Washington. I'm not ashamed to abmit that Tony Scott is probably one of my favorite directors.

The Godfather III

Let me start this off by saying that I don't care that much about Godfather II. The story of Michael Corleone who on the one hand loved his family but at the same time tried to distance himself from them and their "business" as much as possible and even went so far as to join the army during World War 2 but who ended up becoming what he always feared he might become was over when the first film ended. I don't really care about what happens to him after that. I don't need to see him crash & brun. Especially not his relationship. It was already very fragile at the end of part one and that it would eventually fall apart was a foregone conclusion for me. I didn't need to see it happen. I also hated the setting of the "modern day" part of the movie. Remember that Italian guy who tried to get the american orchestra to play an Italian pece of music but they play a american song instead and he gets all mad? I'm much like that guy. I don't care about Cuba or Vegas and wherever else they are in that movie. I want to go back to New York! I basically wanted more of part 1. I realize this is childish and the movie probably would've been much worse if they simply rehashed the first one with Michael in the role of his dad. But I simply didn't enjoy what part 2 was giving me. I did enjoy the flashback parts of the movie. It should've been purely a prequel.

As for Godfather III I enjoyed the idea that Michael regained his conscience at an old age, tried to make up for his horrible mistake only to realize that no matter how hard he tries to escape his past, it will always follow him. I know that the movie had many flaws but I still happened to enjoy it more than part III. The scene at the end where Michael breaks down after his daughter dies is especially painful to watch. I hated that they muted the sound during that scene.

Alien III

I can understand why people dislike it but I enjoy the depressing mood of the movie.

Indiana Jonea And The Temple Of The Crystal Skull

Maybe it is because I never watched the Indiana Jones movies until I was into my 20s and because of that the movies aren't as sacred to me as the Star Wars franchise which I loved since I was about 8 or 9 but I don't think it is as bad as people make it out to be. Not as good as the original 3 but nowhere near as bad the Star Wars prequels.

Red Dragon

Most people seem to be of the opinion that "Silence Of The Lambs" and maybe "Manhunter" are the only movies worth watching in the Hannibal Lecter franchise. I think Red Dragon is worth watching two. I'm to this day impressed that Brett Ratner of all people was able to make such a good movie. The fact that screenwriter Ted Tally, who wrote the script for "Silence..." returned did help matters. Cinematographer Dante Spinotti deserves credid as well.

Jason Statham movies

I have a man crush on Jason Statham. I think he can even the most ridiculous movies he stars in worth watching.

Edited by Hellraiser

Grandma's Boy and Jingle All The Way are two guilty pleasure films for me.

But there is a long list of films that are incredibly bad that make me laugh and I consider an incredible source of entertainment. None of us have the time to go down that list but I'll just write down some I've seen lately: Deep Blue Sea, The Running Man, and Knowing.

Did you just call The Running Man bad? Dead to me LL. Dead to me

• Like 3

I totally forgot about every Jean Claude van Damme movie :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Yes. I'm with you there. All those action movies with van Damme, Seagal, Stallone, etc. from the 80s and 90s are stellar.

Here's a gift for you, Larz.

• Like 2

I totally forgot about every Jean Claude van Damme movie :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

Yes. I'm with you there. All those action movies with van Damme, Seagal, Stallone, etc. from the 80s and 90s are stellar.

Thank you :wub::wub:

Let;s also not forget movies with awesome training montages!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFrMLRQIT_k

• Like 1

OMG thank you! That totally made my day :wub::wub::wub:

• Like 1