Sign in to follow this  
Dazed and ConFORKed

The Left Turn Thread (And Occassional Right Turn) - NASCAR Thread

Srar said there was no topic so I thought I'd make one. This race is always awesome but it definitely did not work out for either of my drivers today and I'm quite annoyed.

Meacon    22,907

My step-dad went to the All-Star race last weekend. He said that Charlotte was by far the cleanliest track he's ever been to. I've been to Dover about a dozen times, since I grew up like half-hour from there, and Richmond twice.

I haven't watched in years, but this year I've caught Daytona, a few more, and today's race. I've been a Gordon fan for as long as I can remember him driving. I loved that he drove for DuPont, because my dad and grandfather both use to work there.

I honestly hated Nascar for the longest time and shared the view of a lot of people who never understood it such as "It's 3 hours of people going left" but after I chose a driver (Truex) and started cheering him, I've learned to appreciate it a lot more. It's sad that I have to say that I'm not a fan of Gordon...mostly because my mother is and I could never cheer for the same driver. :P

Meacon    22,907

I was raised on it, since I'm the product of a very redneck family. Since moving away from where I grew up, I've majorly lost touch with it. When I turned on the 500 this year, I knew maybe ten or eleven of the drivers. It seems to be a bunch of young punks with no personality nowadays.

I do know of Truex, though. My step-dad was a huuuuuuuuuuuge Earnhardt Sr. fan, so much so that he sobbed like a baby the day he died. And he liked Truex, because Dale Sr. had handpicked him to be a part of his team and saw something in him. Clearly whatever it was he saw has yet to come to fruition. :shifty:

:P

• Like 1

He got screwed in Spin-Gate last year...and is now driving for a one car team. He's been top 10 in the last 12 races so you hush your dirty little mouth. :P

I didn't watch today but I still want to try it

It's fun. I would try to pick a driver before you start though. I used the very technical way of choosing a driver....which means I thought Martin Truex Jr sounded cool for a name :shifty:

=BK=    10,433

Oh god, why did you bring this evil to EWB? Now the Redneck is going to spread like a disease till we all look like this.

Lineker    35,314

If you don't like NASCAR you don't have to post in the NASCAR thread. :)

• Like 8

GhostMachine    1,048

I used to be a much bigger fan than I am now. Used to watch every race and I have the autographs of several now retired drivers (including Richard Petty). The only race I ever went to was a Bristol race won by Dale Earnhardt Sr.

I haven't seen more than half the races in a season in about a decade, and usually watch only 3 to 6 a year now.

Why? I don't like the changes to the format, there's a distinct lack of personalities, and I believe the talent level is watered down. Jimmie Johnson already having 6 championships is astounding....and he's one of my favorite drivers.

My favorite drivers at the moment, in no particular order: Jimmie Johnson, Joey Logano, Brian Vickers, Brad Keselowski, Clint Bowyer, Carl Edwards and Trevor Bayne. Used to be a Tony Stewart fan, but not so much anymore. I don't care for Jeff Gordon, and absolutely cannot stand either of the Busch brothers (Kurt especially). I'll also be surprised if Danica Patrick ever wins a race unless its because all the drivers in front of her crash on the last lap.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

Gazz    54,872

Oh god, why did you bring this evil to EWB? Now the Redneck is going to spread like a disease till we all look like this.

That looks fun as fuck.

• Like 5

Meacon    22,907

Yeah, the format pisses me off. I read an article years ago now, that said if things had still been done the old way, Gordon would likely have six (at this point maybe seven) championships.

NASCAR really lost me when they added the Chase. They thought they were going to bring in a new batch of fans, but not only did that not necessarily happen, but they lost a lot of their regular fans, me included. Don't have a 36-race season and then tell me the first 26 pretty much mean dick. I loved the longevity and strategy needed to be consistent enough to win a championship.

• Like 2

Domald Tromp    3,103

w2hwtc.jpg

Benjamin    6,144

That looks fun as fuck.

I love that there is more than one person there that wears the confederate flag bikini. It's almost as if it's obligatory.

• Like 1

Yeah, the format pisses me off. I read an article years ago now, that said if things had still been done the old way, Gordon would likely have six (at this point maybe seven) championships.

NASCAR really lost me when they added the Chase. They thought they were going to bring in a new batch of fans, but not only did that not necessarily happen, but they lost a lot of their regular fans, me included. Don't have a 36-race season and then tell me the first 26 pretty much mean dick. I loved the longevity and strategy needed to be consistent enough to win a championship.

Last year they started to make the first several races mean more by making it a "Win and you're in" type of thing. They feel it put more emphasis on winning and racing at 100% instead of running 3rd or 4th every race and somehow still winning the championship. It, like anything else new, still has some growing pains but it seems to be bringing out the best in people because now instead of hearing things like "At least we had a good points night", we've got people really racing hard for the win. And those who already have a win, well they feel like they've got nothing to lose so they go balls to the wall trying for another win even if it means spinning out like Jimmy Johnson did twice last night.

Sticks Sticksly    1,145

If only Ryan Newman had won the championship last year. This chase format is designed to help eliminate what he almost did.

Edited by stevesdashonirc

GhostMachine    1,048

If they don't change the format, then I'd like to see them at least shake it up so that the drivers who have actually won races have an advantage over those who haven't when it comes time for the Chase. And I don't mean an advantage based on # of races won, just on having actually won a race.

They need to have points based off how many wins they have...and give them a point advantage. I do like the knockout format though.

Howdy Cloudy    17,322

It's linked to in that article, but you should check out the Talladega checklist article on SBNation too. If only for this:

To wit: On lap 34, I listened to Jimmie Johnson casually note his water temperature.

JJ: "Water temp's at 250."

Crew chief: "You bored?"

JJ: [hurtling down the track at 202 mph in tight traffic in a car with no air conditioning] "Yup."

• Like 2

I'd love to get the radio feeds just for Jimmy and Chad arguing like they normally do. I swear there isn't a race that goes by where Jimmy doesn't piss off Chad, or the opposite.

• Like 1

EddieG    2,346

It might happen under this chase format, but it shouldn't.