• 1 month later...

I know hardly anyone is paying attention to this, but what the hell. Tonight is the All-Star race for $1, 000, 000 and if this mornings qualifying race is anything to go by, it should be a fun race. This is one of those days of the year that I look forward to for racing because there is no such thing a "A good points day" and people will do whatever it takes to win the million as shown by Larson this morning when he was almost willing to wreck Chase Elliot just to get a shot at the money. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Clint Bowyer's suing his team for fraud and breach of contract, to the tune of $2.2 million. 

ESPN:

Bowyer alleges in the lawsuit that Scott, who is expected to shut down the Cup team, is using money owed to Bowyer to pay other creditors and “repeatedly failed to make the scheduled payments” owed on the 20th of each month.

“[Scott and the team] are in financial distress and in negotiations with various creditors to settle substantial debts ... all the while [they] refuse to pay [Bowyer] for services performed,” the complaint states.

I'm surprised he continued to drive for them when he wasn't getting paid. I'd like to say he'll be in better equipment next year but unless he can do something with those cars that Tony couldn't this year, I doubt he's going to do better.

• 1 month later...

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascar-is-going-full-sportsball-with-races-divided-into-1791524142

NASCAR races in all three of its national series—the Monster Energy Cup, Xfinity Series and Camping World Truck Series—will now be divided into three segments at certain intervals with 10-minute breaks in between each segment. The length of the segments will be based on each individual track’s length, which will reportedly be specified later this month. Championship points will be awarded based on the running order at the end of each segment.

Pit road will be closed for five laps, and at then end of the each stage the top 10 drivers will be awarded from 10 points to one point. At the end of the race, the winner will win 40 points, and second-through-35th place will be awarded on a scale of two-to-35 points. All lower positions get one point each.

The winner of each individual stage will be awarded one playoff point. The overall race winner will win five additional playoff points and a spot in the playoffs. Regular season playoffs will determine which drivers make it, and then all points reset, but the regular season points leader, who carries 15 points into playoffs.

I'm glad I stopped watching years ago, because all this race for the chase garbage and this new shit sounds dumb as fuuuuuuuck.

22 hours ago, Cloudy said:

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/nascar-is-going-full-sportsball-with-races-divided-into-1791524142

I'm glad I stopped watching years ago, because all this race for the chase garbage and this new shit sounds dumb as fuuuuuuuck.

22 hours ago, Meacon said:

I hear you. This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. They have completely buttfucked a sport I use to really love. I watched a couple races last year, but with this, I'm out.

Yeah this shit does sound terrible. I'm still going to give it a shot but it just does not sound like something I'm going to enjoy. I think Carl Edwards retired at the right time.

• 4 weeks later...

Who's Gonna Win Daytona? A 12 Step solution to all of your '500 questions.

40 cars this year. I will make a statement and eliminate the driver(s) that it applies to.

1. No non-chartered teams. Goodbye DJ Kennington, Corey LaJoie, Brendan Gaughan, Elliott Sadler
2. No rookie has won since 2011. Goodbye Ty Dillon, Daniel Suarez, Erik Jones
3. No "non-parent" team. Goodbye Cole Whitt, David Ragan, Michael McDowell, Matt DiBenedetto, Landon Cassill, Joey Gase, Michael Waltrip, Jeffery Earnhardt, Chris Buescher, AJ Allmendinger, Ryan Blaney, Martin Truex, Aric Almirola

There is half the field. Lets keep going.

4. Know what a dying team looks like? Check out Roush Fenway. Ooh! Richard Childress Racing, too. Goodbye Trevor Bayne, Ricky Stenhouse, Austin Dillon, Ryan Newman, Paul Menard
5. Nobody I like because fuck you Steve. Goodbye Kevin Harvick, Clint Bowyer, Brad Keselowski, Kyle Busch
6. Nobody without SOME KIND of story going on, media fabricated or otherwise. Goodbye Matt Kenseth, Joey Logano, Kyle Larson, Kasey Kahne
7. Danica Patrick. She is Danica Patrick. Goodbye Danica Patrick (holy shit. how did she last this long?)

Six left. I can go case by case from here.

8. Stewart-Hass has switched to Ford this season. They have been quick all week, but to win the first race of the year in an entirely brand new to you car is a bit of a stretch. Even with the series' title sponsor on the car. Goodbye Kurt Busch

9. The story of Dale Earnhardt Jr. winning in his first race back from a serious concussion would be far too good and NASCAR only fixes qualifying which leads me to Chase Elliot. NASCAR's golden boy. He inherited Jeff Gordon's car. Family lineage almost as deep as Jr's. Good kid with a bright future. However, he has been shoved so far down the fans' throats that we have shat out NASCAR's undigested arm. Again, the story is too perfect. Goodbye Jr. and Chase

10. Nobody has won consecutive 500's since Sterling Marlin in 1994 and 1995. That shoudn't change on Sunday. Plus, fuck that guy. Goodbye Denny Hamlin

11. Jamie McMurray. Bad fast all week, crazy aggressive in his qualifying race. He either will win the whole thing or pull the pin on a massive crash. I'm leaning towards the latter.

Spoiler

1487381416174.jpg

• 5 months later...

I know hardly anyone watches the sport on here but fuck it, I do. Big things happening in Nascar this year. Dale Jr's retirement, Matt Kenseth without a ride, Kasey Kahne winning in what could possibly be his last season in the No. 5 car, Penske adding another car for Erik Jones.

They're pushing a youth movement which is great but it's also something they need to be careful about. Nascar has been losing popularity for years and with Dale Jr retiring, there aren't a lot of young drivers who have the chance of replacing that popularity.

And something on a smaller scale but still important to me.....Joe Gibbs suspended two of Martin Truex's crew member because Kyle Busch and his crew chief Adam Stevens are assholes. My neutral feeling towards Kyle has turned to dislike very quickly this year.