Digitizing your VHS/DVD and BluRay collections

IDOL

Has anyone gone through the painstaking task of doing this? We cut cable a long time ago, and rely solely on streaming in the house to suit our entertainment needs. Sling TV has proved to be a cost effective way to manage to have a good number of live cable channels for just $20 a month (getting my ESPN fix), Hulu Plus allows me to keep up with other shows like RAW and Smackdown each week, and we have Netflix as well. So by hooking up our Roku to the living room television, we already have a good amount of entertainment options, not to mention WWE Network.

About 6 months ago I looked at the pile of DVDs on the shelf and started looking into digitizing them so that I could have local access to stream them to my television - freeing up a ton of room in my living room and making a nice convenient digital library with all my movies just a click of the button away in the process.

I've found that Plex and its apps are a fantastic solution for this. You install Plex server on a machine in your house, connect a drive with all of your movie files on it (I purchased a 2 TB external drive to rip the movies to), and Plex takes care of all the meta data and artwork. Plex has apps for Roku, iPhone, X-Box 360 and a ton of other devices.

So basically, you get a Netflix like interface of all your own media. It's pretty sweet.

plex1.jpg

plex2.jpg

plex3.jpg

plex4.jpg

I've found that for ripping the movie files from disc, the best software is:

• Like 1

Sounds really cool. I might try that as we have a tonne of DVDs that I really don't want to get rid of. Would like to get some of those streaming services as well but most of them are available only in the US.